Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2 will be in 3D

Options
  • 31-05-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

http://www.glimpsedog.com/content.php/78-Crysis-2-will-feature-3D

I'm really looking forward to Crysis 2. I had my doubts before when they said they were trying to get the game to run on as many systems as possible. I know that sounds a bit wierd but for me Crysis has always been more about pushing the limits and less about the best gaming experience. Hopefully with 3D, Crysis will be something really spectacular and we can once again ask the quesion 'but will it run crysis?'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    http://www.glimpsedog.com/content.php/78-Crysis-2-will-feature-3D

I'm really looking forward to Crysis 2. I had my doubts before when they said they were trying to get the game to run on as many systems as possible. I know that sounds a bit wierd but for me Crysis has always been more about pushing the limits and less about the best gaming experience. Hopefully with 3D, Crysis will be something really spectacular and we can once again ask the quesion 'but will it run crysis?'.

Looking like a whole new rig is gonna have to be bought to get the best outta this. Im dying to play it too...but Crysis is best enjoyed when run on a top end system. Im not gonna bother till I have a rig powerful enough to max it & a 3D monitor too :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Didn't Crytek promise the CryEngine 3 would be some scalable than previous versions?
    Especially since it's going cross platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

5uspect wrote: »
    Didn't Crytek promise the CryEngine 3 would be some scalable than previous versions?
    Especially since it's going cross platform.

Yes they did. I was just suggesting that the added 3D will most likely up the requirements for the pc version, perhaps making it the pinnacle when it came to games benchmarking again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Lol, You need twice the fps for 3d as it displays every second frame to create the effect of depth, one is vertically polarised, the other horizontal with the glasses stopping each eye seing the other eyes image. You'll need a pc capable of twice the fps........................ someday it'll be playable, probably in a few years :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Lol, You need twice the fps for 3d as it displays every second frame to create the effect of depth, one is vertically polarised, the other horizontal with the glasses stopping each eye seing the other eyes image. You'll need a pc capable of twice the fps........................ someday it'll be playable, probably in a few years :D

You don't really. What you actually need is a high refresh rate (120hz is plenty). It does have to render each frame twice, but because the 2nd frame is the same scene as the first just at a slightly different angle it renders far quicker than a completely new frame. In practice you're only taking on average maybe a 10% frame rate hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Maybe for the hacky driver-based 3D you can get on PC, but that's not how the PS3 does 3D - it doesn't matter if it's from a slightly different angle or from a completely different angle, the entire frame needs to be rendered again. So you either need to cut your 60fps game's framerate in half, or cut the rendering time of your 30fps game in half. I suspect the 360 will do it in roughly the same way if and when they implement 3D support.

It's very likely Crysis 2 is already at 30fps, so I'd say they have their work cut out for them! At a guess, what you'll get is 3D but with a reduced set of rendering features (eg no reflections, motion blur, depth of field etc).

Advertisement