Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Doner Kebab Recipe - Thoughts And Opinions?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been given this recipe to make a more healthy option to my favourite food of Doner Kebab.

What are your thoughts and opinions on it?

Here's the recipe:
    1 lb. minced lamb (or beef)
    Finely diced onion
    2 cloves crushed or chopped garlic
    tsp. salt
    tsp. black pepper
    tsp. cumin
    tsp. dried oregano
    tsp.marjoram
    tsp.thyme
    Squeeze of lemon juice (about Tbs)
    Good splash of olive oil (or lamb fat if you want to be more authentic)
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp.cayenne and/or paprika
    1/4 tsp.chilli
    1/4 tsp.ginger
    1 egg (to bind)
    Small handfull dried breadcrumbs.

Chuck the lot in a bowl and give it a good mix.

Some people like to leave it in the fridge overnight but it can be cooked about 20 minutes after it's been mixed.

If you want to spice it up then just add more chilli and you can always just add what else you want to toy around with the flavours but this is the closest i've found to a kebab shops kebab.

When mixed you can take a skewer (soak for 15 minutes if they are wooden) and work it on to make a sausage shape,(it's easier to form and put on with wet hands) and grill for about 20-25 minutes turning every few minutes.

Or

You can mix it together and place in a baking tin and cover it loosely with foil and cook it in the middle of the oven Gas mark 4 for about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Take off the foil for the last 20-30 minutes.

Leave to stand and cool a bit and cut slices off to make kebabs.

It sounds lovely, and a few people I know have made it and says it tastes quiet like Kebab from a Kebab Shop, without the greasy taste.

Is this actually a healthy option at all though?

Any thoughts and opinions are more than welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Loss pretty lean. I'd rather use whole meat as mince is quite fatty (or leave out the olive oil)

The only part of of kebabs that is unhealthly is the way its cooked and what is added.
    Keep the fat low. I use grilled chicken.
    Don't fat crazt amounts of fatty sauce like the chippers do. Lettuce, tomatos and hot sauce is great

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not too bad, but you're generally not going to get a healthier option if you grill or bake it because all the fat stays on the meat. Better to use a BBQ grill with indirect heat (lump all the charcoal to the front and put the meat at the back and turn the meat regularly).

Mind you, you're more making gyros meat than a kebab in that recipe. Why not just make a traditional kebab with whole lamb chunks instead and serve those in a pita bread?

Advertisement