Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Technician

• 31-05-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Hey

Im currently doing an ECDL course with fas, im just wondering is there any Technician courses that fas do, or do you have pay to do them.

I would be very interested in that line of work but i wouldn't have much knowledge about the workings of a PC, well just bits of knowledge but i want to know more

I would love to try build my own Pc but i would be afraid of damaging something or doing it wrong

Plan on buying a very cheap pc or getting one for free and just taking it apart to have a gander at everything

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

You can probably do a basic computer maintenence course, but if you have a bit of cop on with computers I'd jump into the Comptia A+. It's a 2 exam course that'll get you in the right direction.

Most first level tech support jobs would look for that qualification and it's the first thing my job told me to go for in order to move up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭andy125

I would love to do that course but i just wouldn't have the money for it

EDIT: I just seen you can do it online with fas for cheap with thier e-collage, can you teach yourself this or would you really need an instructor ?

You can study yourself for it.
    Buy a Book to study and maybe one of the exam cram's to test yourself.
    This book would be grand, I have used his network + one, and he doesn't go to deep with the terminology.

Also, get your hands on an old pc and open it up, and if you could get more, all the better.

You have to sit, two exams, which can be booked from Prometric, I'm not sure what the price is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

I know a girl that getting trained for the A+ exam in Castlebar through FAS. It was a 6 month course. I'd be surprised if Castlebar is the only place doing it.

If you can afford it, you should build a PC from scratch, you will learn so much from it. Also you can get the parts cheap on adverts or ebay. Just do your online research to make sure that the parts work with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

RogerThis wrote: »
    I know a girl that getting trained for the A+ exam in Castlebar through FAS. It was a 6 month course. I'd be surprised if Castlebar is the only place doing it.

If you can afford it, you should build a PC from scratch, you will learn so much from it. Also you can get the parts cheap on adverts or ebay. Just do your online research to make sure that the parts work with each other.

Six months for the A+? That's a bit extreme. I would have said two days max. That being said I was hired into a role without it.

@OP, A+ is grand but the good jobs involve a huge amount of software knowledge as well. If you want to impress in a interview something like a MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 would help greatly. Its a employers market at the moment.

In my role we have three MCSA's and a CCNA in a team of four. At a second level support role.

• Advertisement

Six months for the A+? That's a bit extreme. I would have said two days max. That being said I was hired into a role without it.

@OP, A+ is grand but the good jobs involve a huge amount of software knowledge as well. If you want to impress in a interview something like a MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 would help greatly. Its a employers market at the moment.

In my role we have three MCSA's and a CCNA in a team of four. At a second level support role.

Are you serious about 2 days? You are not going to learn much in 2 days. A six month course will setup you up with a good working knowledge.

I did the course through e-college, over 4 months I think, It was about 8 years ago. It takes a lot of self discipline to keep yourself motivated doing it by yourself. It's better to be doing it with other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

you can just learn yourself, you could buy a cheap pentium 4 for 100quid, take it apart and rebuild it( without worrying about breaking something ).
    Building PC's is handy out once youve done it once, the other main issue is compatibility of components however when youre upto speed its easy moving forward( i.e. for new technology ) to see whats compatible with what.

The only awkward part of building a PC is adding a custom cpu cooler, its not difficult, but you just need to make sure you dont put too much thermal paste on and then depending on the cooler it could have horrible POS push pins

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Slightly OT, but I wouldnt mind some related advice.

I'll be starting CS in UCD(Points dependant:rolleyes:) in september and I know I'll be in a decent position at the end of the degree but what could I do to get something for a CV in the meantime?

I've done the ECDL. I started troubleshooting at age 12 in primary school(If I couldnt do it they'd call the principles son, in his twenties who could:p) and helped with system installs in my current school(second level). I've done work for several friends and family, introduced a neighbour to computing and the internet. I also try to contribute online when I can.

That said, I havent got any coding experiece bar two weeks dumbfounded by Flash AS2.0/3.0.

I'd love to be able to get a job in the industry during the summer and college. I'd be willing to do a month or twos internship if that helped. Any suggestions as to courses I could do/places I could enquire to. If I could self teach Java/C++ or something and then sit an acredited exam that would suit me down to the ground:)

Thanks,
    Lethal

PS: Sorry for the thread jack:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

If I could self teach Java/C++ or something and then sit an acredited exam that would suit me down to the ground:)
    You could learn Java and do Suns Java Programmers cert( i think its about 150euro last i checked ), but tbh if you dont have any programming experience whatsoever it will take you a good while to become proficient never mind sitting an exam.

Doing bits and pieces here and there since you were young honestly wont get you in anywhere( unless you were really lucky and had a friend or rellie that would give you a job ).

I was programming from the age of 12( not trying to sound a twat, its just until you have something official its useless ) and upgrading computers at 14 but still never got feck all decent in the line of working with computers until i was in my 3rd year at college( got a small summer job doing datainput and a bit of database setup but that was the height of it ), used to do the odd nixer alright installing stuff or buying components for people but that was only family, or family friends generally.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Are you serious about 2 days? You are not going to learn much in 2 days. A six month course will setup you up with a good working knowledge.

I did the course through e-college, over 4 months I think, It was about 8 years ago. It takes a lot of self discipline to keep yourself motivated doing it by yourself. It's better to be doing it with other people.

I am serious. I did it offhand by glancing at the book on a Sunday evening. If you had absolutely no knowledge of computers, a week should do. Its the most basic qualification you can get for the hardware side of IT.

If I was doing a interview and was told they spent six months doing A+ I would laugh them out of the room.

And as for finding it difficult studying yourself, I would get used to it very fast. If you start down any route IT related its a guarantee that a large portion of your time over the rest of your working career is going to be keeping your qualifications up to date and studying new materials and areas so you can specialize. Otherwise your going to spend the rest of your life in a 30k go nowhere job.

• Advertisement

I am serious. I did it offhand by glancing at the book on a Sunday evening. If you had absolutely no knowledge of computers, a week should do. Its the most basic qualification you can get for the hardware side of IT.

If I was doing a interview and was told they spent six months doing A+ I would laugh them out of the room.

And as for finding it difficult studying yourself, I would get used to it very fast. If you start down any route IT related its a guarantee that a large portion of your time over the rest of your working career is going to be keeping your qualifications up to date and studying new materials and areas so you can specialize. Otherwise your going to spend the rest of your life in a 30k go nowhere job.

Get back to the real world. I suppose you do a degree in two weeks.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

:rolleyes: Don't be ridiculous, it takes 15 days to get a degree.

http://www.hilluniversity.com/Hill/online-degrees/bachelor-degree.asp

The two are incomparable.

Here is a few sample questions. It's a big jump up from the ecdl. And learning it will take time. You have to learn the material before you sit the exam.

Q1. What is the storage capacity of a 3 1/2" Double Sided High Density (DSHD) Floppy disk?

A. 1.2 MB
    B. 1.44 MB
    C. 720 KB
    D. 1.4 MB

Q2. What is the maximum colour depth of an SVGA monitor?

A. 256 colors
    B. 1024 colors
    C. 64 K colors
    D. 16 million colors

Q3. What is the connector type that goes with CGA / EGA monitor?

A. DB-25
    B. DB-15
    C. DB-9
    D. DB-5

Q1. The first physical sector in any bootable hard disk contains which of the following?

A. File structure
    B. Data structure
    C. MBR
    D. LBR

Q2. What is the command syntax for assigning "Hidden" attribute to file c:\myfile?

A. ATTRIB +R C:\MYFILE
    B. ATTRIB +H C:\MYFILE
    C. ATTRIB -H C:\MYFILE
    D. ATTRIB H C:\MYFILE

Q3. You have loaded Windows 3.1 into the primary partition on your computer, and made it the default Operating System. You have formatted one of the logical drives in the Extended partition. Which file system would have been installed?

A. FAT16
    B. FAT32
    C. VFAT
    D. NTFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

3 1/2" Double Sided High Density (DSHD) Floppy disk?
    SVGA monitor?
    CGA / EGA monitor?
    Windows 3.1

1993 called, they lent a PC to Fàs and they want it back.

Here is a few sample questions. It's a big jump up from the ecdl. And learning it will take time. You have to learn the material before you sit the exam.

Just so I'm clear on this. You are saying it takes six months to read the A+ book and regurgitate information for a 100 question, multiple choice, 70% pass rate exam? Saying this while keeping in mind that I got a MCSE while working over the space of five months.

Would you like them to do a four year course for a CCNA followed by a gap year for some holidays before they decide to get their Enterprise Administrator in the next four?

And for anybody who thinks I am being harsh. Check out the job adverts in Spain for IT tech roles. Because of the high unemployment over there in the last ten years they have had a glut of people to choose from for roles. You won't get a job on the phones doing first level work without a MCSA and CCNA. If the market here continues in a similar trend with high unemployment, coupled with a field in which a degree is something nice to have but not essential, you will see a similar situation develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Q3. You have loaded Windows 3.1 into the primary partition on your computer, and made it the default Operating System. You have formatted one of the logical drives in the Extended partition. Which file system would have been installed?

A. FAT16
    B. FAT32
    C. VFAT
    D. NTFS

Is that question seriously likely to come up???:p
    I did my A+ 6 years ago, and it would have been a ridiculously outdated question even back then!
    Not that knowing about which operating systems can access which file systems is useless information, they could just do with updating the questions a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In fairness a week to study and take the A+ is a bit much for somebody coming from an ECDL and 6 months is also way too long. Ideally if you are enthusiastic, motivated and most importantly have an interest in technology then 3/4 weeks with an average of 2 hours a day study should be enough. Maybe throw in an extra week and just spend it doing as many sample exams you can get your hands on.

Once the A+ is done then move onto N+, Microsoft Certs, Cisco Certs, Programming Certs (i.e. SCJP) etc

Just so I'm clear on this. You are saying it takes six months to read the A+ book and regurgitate information for a 100 question, multiple choice, 70% pass rate exam? Saying this while keeping in mind that I got a MCSE while working over the space of five months.

Would you like them to do a four year course for a CCNA followed by a gap year for some holidays before they decide to get their Enterprise Administrator in the next four?

And for anybody who thinks I am being harsh. Check out the job adverts in Spain for IT tech roles. Because of the high unemployment over there in the last ten years they have had a glut of people to choose from for roles. You won't get a job on the phones doing first level work without a MCSA and CCNA. If the market here continues in a similar trend with high unemployment, coupled with a field in which a degree is something nice to have but not essential, you will see a similar situation develop.

The OP wants to learn how to become a computer technician. In Ireland not Spain. If you do the FAS course over six months, you get the A+ certificate plus work experience.
    If he does it the way you want him to, by looking up a few braindumps and passing it. What has he got? One extra line on his CV. Not a lot better than what he had before. His CV still at the bottom of the pile.

In fairness a week to study and take the A+ is a bit much for somebody coming from an ECDL and 6 months is also way too long. Ideally if you are enthusiastic, motivated and most importantly have an interest in technology then 3/4 weeks with an average of 2 hours a day study should be enough. Maybe throw in an extra week and just spend it doing as many sample exams you can get your hands on.

Once the A+ is done then move onto N+, Microsoft Certs, Cisco Certs, Programming Certs (i.e. SCJP) etc

I was under the impression that this course with FAS is 6+ hours a day for six months. If you agree with 3/4 weeks at two hours a day, then 1 week at 6+ hours would be comparable no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was under the impression that this course with FAS is 6+ hours a day for six months. If you agree with 3/4 weeks at two hours a day, then 1 week at 6+ hours would be comparable no?

Yeah but I reckon spread it out a bit more to let it sink in, thats just how I like to study certs anyway. I find after a couple of hours my eyes glaze over and my concentration goes out the window :(

The OP wants to learn how to become a computer technician. In Ireland not Spain. If you do the FAS course over six months, you get the A+ certificate plus work experience.
    If he does it the way you want him to, by looking up a few braindumps and passing it. What has he got? One extra line on his CV. Not a lot better than what he had before. His CV still at the bottom of the pile.

The OP wants to know how to become a computer technician. He has inquired about courses with FAS. I am telling him the other side of those six months he is going to piss away.

FAS course now days means next to nothing, its merely a excuse for people to get out of their parents houses or for something for lifetime FAS'ers to do. And I know about the work experience. We have had eight people total with us. Not a single one of the eight was capable of doing the job, none of their training was worth anything and my employer would look at six months in a FAS course as worthless.

And while braindumps are a option, the A+ exam is simple basic memory recall. No actual work involved in the exam itself besides recalling data. A large portion of which is useless.

And as for his CV being bottom of the pile, that's not difficult to change. If your willing to put some actual effort in.

Yeah but I reckon spread it out a bit more to let it sink in, thats just how I like to study certs anyway. I find after a couple of hours my eyes glaze over and my concentration goes out the window :(

It is difficult I will agree, but its doable. Especially when your doing nothing else all day. I find a 30 minute walk and snack after about three hours into study gets you back to similar levels of concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

The OP wants to know how to become a computer technician. He has inquired about courses with FAS. I am telling him the other side of those six months he is going to piss away.

FAS course now days means next to nothing, its merely a excuse for people to get out of their parents houses or for something for lifetime FAS'ers to do. And I know about the work experience. We have had eight people total with us. Not a single one of the eight was capable of doing the job, none of their training was worth anything and my employer would look at six months in a FAS course as worthless.

And while braindumps are a option, the A+ exam is simple basic memory recall. No actual work involved in the exam itself besides recalling data. A large portion of which is useless.

And as for his CV being bottom of the pile, that's not difficult to change. If your willing to put some actual effort in.

Wouldn't agree with you here. Project management, ITIL, Prince2, and valid Microsoft courses/certification all currently available from FAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/comptiaA+/comptiaA+2009.html

After seeing the thread i was considering doing it, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on it. Can anybody give more info?

This also had me worried
    Learners will be entry-level computer technicians who will, by the end of studying this path and before taking the exam, have accumulated a recommended 500 hours hands-on experience in a lab or in the field.

Where would one get 500 hours hands on experience, or is this optional?

It says there is a fee for the exam, is it just a case fo ringing the various test centres for a price? Anybody know if this is actualy included in the fee?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/comptiaA+/comptiaA+2009.html

After seeing the thread i was considering doing it, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on it. Can anybody give more info?

This also had me worried

Where would one get 500 hours hands on experience, or is this optional?

It says there is a fee for the exam, is it just a case fo ringing the various test centres for a price? Anybody know if this is actualy included in the fee?

Im heading into fas tomorrow and will ask about all that,
    what i do know is that you have to pay the exam fee which is i think 150euro per exam.

I know this isnt anything major to have on my CV but i want to start at the basics and learn as much as i can and move onto to more advanced courses from this and hopefully when the recession dies down :rolleyes: i will have something to actually offer employers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers, that would be great, get any info you can!

Doing a course in FAS or the VEC, is a good way start to get into IT. You can usually get the dole or equivalent while doing these courses. All the other private courses you'll need to pay through the noise to do them. At the end of the course you will get a Fetac qualification. So even if you found out that IT isn't for you, it will help you to get into college. The course normally start in September.

There is also a good podcast that I listen to called the Mike Tech Show http://mikenation.net/ He goes through a lot of info on how to get in IT, and some very helpful tools and tips. I learned about a brilliant free remote access software called teamviewer. http://www.teamviewer.com Which really impresses people when I use it with them.

There is a lot a big egos in tech, as you'll find out. If there is ever a problem you blame it on the other guy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Good info happy to read this thread. watch mode:)

• Advertisement

Popped into fas today and they gave me a print out of the comptia course,
    its different from the one they have on the website,

It 10 weeks instead of 26 weeks and i asked about the 500 hours work thing and they said you don't have to do that, its not on the updated print out either

She also said you can do the exams whenever you want and you don't have to wait the 10 weeks the course says

You need at least an ECDL or previous work in that area to do the course

Its free for unemployed(social welfare) and its 120euro otherwise

So ya i think i will give it a go after my ECDL is done and move on from there.

andy125 wrote: »
    Popped into fas today and they gave me a print out of the comptia course,
    its different from the one they have on the website,

It 10 weeks instead of 26 weeks and i asked about the 500 hours work thing and they said you don't have to do that, its not on the updated print out either

She also said you can do the exams whenever you want and you don't have to wait the 10 weeks the course says

You need at least an ECDL or previous work in that area to do the course

Its free for unemployed(social welfare) and its 120euro otherwise

So ya i think i will give it a go after my ECDL is done and move on from there.

I did a 10 week course and it was enough time. I'm not sure if they've been updated but I can forward you on a copy of the exam questions as well. I have about 1000 and most of the ones in the exam are picked from these.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

hi there
    i am doing my comptia a+ exams tommorow and would love to have those sample questions.... assuming you read this and have the spare time of course which is not very likely now that i think of it so maybe i won't bother posting this.... ah feck it. (click):o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

icrusader wrote: »
    hi there
    i am doing my comptia a+ exams tommorow and would love to have those sample questions.... assuming you read this and have the spare time of course which is not very likely now that i think of it so maybe i won't bother posting this.... ah feck it. (click):o

Yeah cheat in your test... brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

they are only sample exam questions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bit of a revival, but CAO is finishing up and I have 0 Level 7s selected. Computer Science across the board for 8s, suggestions for 7s would be great. Anything in the Dublin area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

When I was doing my Comptia exams with FAS the instructor bought brain dumps for us!

Sound lad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    When I was doing my Comptia exams with FAS the instructor bought brain dumps for us!

Sound lad. :)

And people wonder why Comptia certs are so useless then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I don't think they are useless. I have gotten really good jobs out of it and they are the only exams I have done.

Naikon wrote: »
    RoadKillTs wrote: »
    I don't think they are useless. I have gotten really good jobs out of it and they are the only exams I have done.

Same here, when my comany are looking for level 1 support an A+ will defo get you a big foot in the door. I got the job without it and it was the first thing they wanted me to do.

Advertisement