Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Piano Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Yup, these are all contemporary classical (minimalist, mostly) pieces. I hadn't heard the Michael Nyman piece before and it's beautiful, thank you.

If you love this type of music, Philip Glass is an excellent minimalist composer to listen to. He wrote several film scores including that of The Hours (as well as the Truman Show, if I'm not mistaken!), which I adore:

Arvo Part is another great minimalist composer - not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for though! (Might not be dramatic enough...)

Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Yeah, it was actually Glass that sparked this curiosity; I loved the OST for The Truman Show, and later, The Hours. Then after Amelie I started listening to Tiersen, and Michael Nyman after The Piano. Cinema is the only real exposure I have to this type of music.

Thanks, though - now I know what I'm looking for. I googled Minimalist Piano Composers and have got a list to work through. That Arvo Part piece is exactly what I'm looking for; its beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Arabian Dance from The Nutcracker on piano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

A great song and a great movie also!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Try Ludovico Einaudi,

very approachable piano music and has the sweeping beauty of that micahel nyman piece and the clint mansell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Also just remembered last night a very unique piano piece by Cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Erik Satie - Gymnopedie n.1

greensleeves has to be one of my favourite melodies ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Mark Joggerst - The Pursuit of Perfection:)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

..totally forgot about this thread! Thanks again for all the suggestions, the Pursuit of Perfection has burnt a hole through my mp3.. Einaudi is amazing as well, a definite recommendation for anyone who enjoys similar kinds of music!

Advertisement