Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange light over city last night

• 31-05-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Anyone spot a light flying round over the city last night?? it was slow moving and then stop for a few mins and then disappeared. and seen it again moving slowly from same direction and stopped again. was gone a few mins later.

it was a red/orange colour and had no sound.

now I'm not one to believe in that UFO ****e but curious to know what it was.

helicopter first came to my mind but i would have heard that??

not a star as it was raining last night.

anyone else see it or was it just me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I saw the same thing on Friday night ! It was like a dot of light in the sky that moved fairly slowly across the sky , it was defo not a plane or a helicopter it was too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i got some fright last week as i was driving down onto the roundabout at the top of connolly place..there was a big red thing in the sky, it was bloody massive and i was looknig around and no one else seemed to be paying any attention..it was way in the distance but on the horizon and was huge...got onto the ring road before i realised it was the bloody moon!!

I saw the same thing on Friday night ! It was like a dot of light in the sky that moved fairly slowly across the sky , it was defo not a plane or a helicopter it was too small.

might it have been the space station? something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

This def wasn't the moon or anything like that.

it was moving i spotted when i was driving and it was gone when i arrived but i went back to the car and spotted it moving back towards me again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

snuggles09 wrote: »

The likes of the ISS just look like a fast moving star, nothing more

• Advertisement

snuggles09 wrote: »
    It was too close to earth , it was just above me the light was very bright ! It was so strange it moved quick also.

Cabaal wrote: »
    The likes of the ISS just look like a fast moving star, nothing more

would you see it through clouds though??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

My mother saw the same thing on Friday night. I wrote it off as something like a Chinese Lantern. It would look quite large, compared to a star or light from a plane, and the light given off would be orange/red.

It would also look like it's moving quickly while at low altitude and as it gets higher would apper to slow, until it reaches the clouds where it would then look like it suddenly disappeared.

My mother saw the same thing on Friday night. I wrote it off as something like a Chinese Lantern. It would look quite large, compared to a star or light from a plane, the light given off would be orange/red and it would look like it's moving very slowly until it reaches the clouds where it would then look like it suddenly disappeared.
    Ye that was what it was like , so maybe it was just a Lantern and not a UFO invasion on the City.

My mother saw the same thing on Friday night. I wrote it off as something like a Chinese Lantern. It would look quite large, compared to a star or light from a plane, the light given off would be orange/red and it would look like it's moving very slowly until it reaches the clouds where it would then look like it suddenly disappeared.

probably was something like that. was still strange to see.

• Advertisement

lantern i'd say, there were confirmations and communions on friday..go on the ghostbusters!:D

i thought it was going to turn out to be something interesting. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Dowdy20 wrote: »
    i thought it was going to turn out to be something interesting. :rolleyes:

Ah, I was only messing about the lanterns. The light was really me in my spaceship.

Now, feel better? :D

the V are on the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

The aliens heard the Tweedy pubs were up for sale and they came to have a look.
    Needless to say, we won't be seeing them again for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

A lad in work got a picture of it and a very good quality video. There had been a few people saying they were seeing this strange thing in the sky at night. I laughed at him at first, until I saw the video. Very strange, couldn't figure it out at all. Must get him to put up the vid online, would love to find out what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's no lantern...........::........it's a space station :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bloody SKY have embedded their interactive button in our minds now!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dowdy20 wrote: »
    would you see it through clouds though??

nope,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Chinese lanterns, thats all, they are becoming very popular. Space Station only visible in a clear sky, looks like a fast moving bright star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I saw something similar at night in Meath last year.

I don't think it was a Chinese lantern - I'd describe the quality of the light as being very electrical by nature - a very intense consistent red colour exactly the same as the aircraft warning light you'll see on the top of most tall antennas.

On seeing it I immediately thought I was looking at the port-side navigation light of an aircraft but there were no other lights present and it appeared to be flying too low to be an aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

You close down a few head shops and look what happens...........

deisedevil wrote: »
    A lad in work got a picture of it and a very good quality video. There had been a few people saying they were seeing this strange thing in the sky at night. I laughed at him at first, until I saw the video. Very strange, couldn't figure it out at all. Must get him to put up the vid online, would love to find out what it is.

put up the video for the craic

Advertisement