Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to bring my TDI to get looked at?

• 31-05-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello,

Just wondering where is the best garage to bring my TDI to get the turbo checked out on it/hoses and pipes for leaks etc....I want someone who knows turbo's and not some head scratcher.

I have a whistling noise from 1100rpm up to 2500rpm that has come into the car since I got the car remapped 3 weeks ago.

The sound rises with acceleration and dies back down once foot is off the gas.Anyone know of a few ideas is it is the turbo or not going only 30,000 miles on it 07 2.0tdi pd.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

What happens above 2500 rpm? Does the sound go away or is the engine drowning it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

What did you get it remapped to and from?

Sounds like what the turbo in my car does but yours is a lot louder.

The turbos in TDI's at least are going full pelt at about 2000ish rpm so it would stand to reason the engine drowns out the rest.

It sounds like normal turbo noise in terms of how it reacts to the pedal and revs, just I have never heard of a louder turbo from a remap. Not a considerably louder one.

I dont know about who is very good but personally Id stick to the VAG group dealers if it is indeed a turbo problem.
    Ive still to come across any "TDI guru's" that the US seem to have a lot of.

I wish you luck, and hope the correct oil has been used in the car from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You could try www.vwaudiforum.co.uk (assuming it's a VAG TDI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

colinh wrote: »

Hello,

Just wondering where is the best garage to bring my TDI to get the turbo checked out on it/hoses and pipes for leaks etc....I want someone who knows turbo's and not some head scratcher.

Where are ou based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinh

Im based in dublin.

It was 155 bhp standard 270lbs torque its running at 185bhp and 325lbs of torque its very quick now, Joe from chipped ire did it.

I think the engine drowns it out over 2500rpms it difficult with the diesel being loud anyway,

after the remap i could hear a faint noise of a siren/whistle noise then after a motorway run down to galway it brought it out 3 days after it??

any ideas lads

ps I run fully synthetic oil always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Im based in dublin.

It was 155 bhp standard 270lbs torque its running at 185bhp and 325lbs of torque its very quick now, Joe from chipped ire did it.

Talk to Joe :D:D

Give him a shout back, see what he thinks.... Should know what the deal is
    ---> he's got a good rep ;)

Im based in dublin.

I think the engine drowns it out over 2500rpms it difficult with the diesel being loud anyway,

after the remap i could hear a faint noise of a siren/whistle noise then after a motorway run down to galway it brought it out 3 days after it??

any ideas lads

ps I run fully synthetic oil always

Thats good about the oil, VW505.01 I assume?
    Ive turned people away at my shop (much to the annoyance of my boss) when they try to buy oil for their PD TDI which we dont stock, at least since I last gave out about it.

Im fearing the worst mate, you are at the very limit of what the engine could take and if there was any underlying flaw somewhere in the chain the remap could very well expoit it.

Try tdiclub.com (or .net). You should be able to find some useful images so you can go routing for a small crack in the boost pipes.

bbk wrote: »
    Thats good about the oil, VW505.01 I assume?
    Ive turned people away at my shop (much to the annoyance of my boss) when they try to buy oil for their PD TDI which we dont stock, at least since I last gave out about it.

Im fearing the worst mate, you are at the very limit of what the engine could take and if there was any underlying flaw somewhere in the chain the remap could very well expoit it.

Try tdiclub.com (or .net). You should be able to find some useful images so you can go routing for a small crack in the boost pipes.

Thanks for the input.

+30bhp is a pretty conservative increase TBH

Club TDI

vagdrivers.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Go back to Joe and ask him to scan it with vcds to see if there are any codes logged.

• Advertisement

homer90 wrote: »
    +30bhp is a pretty conservative increase TBH

Club TDI

vagdrivers.net

Considering the most powerfull PD* was around 150hp and its at the higher end of the running gear's design any increase is getting closer to the limit.

If it was a 100hp or so engine and a remap was applied Id imagine there would be no problem at all as its well within the limits of the turbos etc which to an extent are common.

*Having said that its the 2.0 PD TDI? I know the 1.9 was 150hp max so a remap to that is getting close to the limit.

Considering the most powerfull PD* was around 150hp and its at the higher end of the running gear's design any increase is getting closer to the limit.

If it was a 100hp or so engine and a remap was applied Id imagine there would be no problem at all as its well within the limits of the turbos etc which to an extent are common.

*Having said that its the 2.0 PD TDI? I know the 1.9 was 150hp max so a remap to that is getting close to the limit.

Yes a VW Golf 2007, the card rives so much better mpg stayin the same, i think its mind boggling this noise its doing my nut in thinkin its goina go puff one day and me sitting by the roadside!

Yes its the VW 2.0TDI PD 2007,

any quick tests i can do to find if its the turbo going?the way it rises on acceleration and drops with the foot of the gas is puzzling!

Yes a VW Golf 2007, the card rives so much better mpg stayin the same, i think its mind boggling this noise its doing my nut in thinkin its goina go puff one day and me sitting by the roadside!

People are going to have different opinions on this but if its gonna be a few days before you can get it checked do your best to keep the revs at or below 2000 rpm. As I said the turbo is reaching full pelt at around there so at least you are keeping the stress down. Again this is all to do with the 1.9 but I cant imagine the 2.0 being a huge amount different.

Im looking for a remap soon. 90hp to 115 would be lovely :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

As a side note, this months Car Mechanics have an artice about their current project car a 2002 Audi A6 130bhp TDI, Remapped to somewhere in the region of 180bhp they havent reported any problems same engine and running gear as the older model passat.

Regards the OPs car the B6 Platform Passat has been known to have problems with the turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

People are going to have different opinions on this but if its gonna be a few days before you can get it checked do your best to keep the revs at or below 2000 rpm. As I said the turbo is reaching full pelt at around there so at least you are keeping the stress down.

I didn't think the turbine hits full pelt around then. It is usually running in-line with the engine via exhaust gas. There is a waste gate before the gas enters the turbine blades. Maybe it does reach peak pressure at 2k but I thought the blades have to keep spinning faster as the RPM increases to maintain the pressure being fed into the cylinders?

I didn't think the turbine hits full pelt around then. It is usually running in-line with the engine via exhaust gas. There is a waste gate before the gas enters the turbine blades. Maybe it does reach peak pressure at 2k but I thought the blades have to keep spinning faster as the RPM increases to maintain the pressure being fed into the cylinders?

The problem that you face when chucking a turbo on an engine is that if the speed of the turbo increases with the engine RPM it will eventually over spin and give too much boost that the engine has been designed to handle.

Once the engine reaches the optimum speed to get the max level of design boost the waste gate seems to take some of the excess exhaust gas out of the equation so the turbo doesnt over spin.

Similarly the variable vane turbo (VNT?) type changes the angle of attack on the turbo vanes so the turbo cant over spin when the exhaust would normally be thrown into the waste gate.

In the TDI in or around the 2000-2200 mark the turbo is delivering maximum boost and the vanes or wastegate (I think the newer TDI's use the VNT one) sort the rest out.

So, the turbo does not increase speed/boost as the engine speed increases, at least not the whole way. At some point the wastgate/vanes keep it at a constant for most of the rev range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

OP, remove the fan belt (alternator, steering and water pump) when the car is cold and see if the noise is still there when you rev the car. I had a whine in my car and it turned out to be the alternator, but I thought it was the turbo. When we removed the belt and reved the car, no noise. Just worth a check before you go stripping the engine.

Bump,

Anyone know garages to bring my tdi to get it looked at without getting ripped off and know there stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Why can't you just get the map removed and see if there is still an issue.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Why can't you just get the map removed and see if there is still an issue.

+1

Bring it back to Joe -->

homer90 wrote: »
    +1

Bring it back to Joe -->

But if it isnt a map problem can he get it reremapped(:p) free of charge?
    This doesnt sound like a problem with the remap, more like a problem with an engine component that the remap brought to breaking point earlier then it would have normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Bump,

Anyone know garages to bring my tdi to get it looked at without getting ripped off and know there stuff?
    any mechanic will remove the belt (not the components (that might have came across wrong on my earlier post)) and see if it is a belt/component issue or a turbo/remap issue.
    Seriously, thats the first thing you should do before you go unmapping or anything.
    Call this guy Joe and see what he says over the phone.
    An indy mechanic will probally charge you €20 to remove the belt and check the noise for you. that would be €20 well spent if you ask me.

Advertisement