Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Conditioning Office Workplace Health and Safety

Options
  • 31-05-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there's any regulations regarding the regulation of air conditioning in an office workplace?

The air con in my workplace fluctuates constantly and I sit under an air vent. I'm constantly going from hot to cold and I;m just getting over a sinus infection. The doctor blamed the air con. I wondered if there's anywhere I can find information of H&S in the workplace specifically regarding temperature?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Nothing on citizensinformation or employmentrights. Talk to HR and see if you can move stations.

Oh, and wrong forum. Try Biz > Personal > Work & Jobs > Work Problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Check out Page 8 on this guide from the HSA
    7. (1) An employer shall ensure that—
    (a) during working hours, the temperature in rooms containing workstations is appropriate
    for human beings, having regard to the working methods being used and the physical
    demands placed on the employees,
    (b) for sedentary office work, a minimum temperature of 17.5° C, so far as is reasonably
    practicable, is achieved and maintained at every workstation after the first hour’s work,
    Guide to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application)
    (c) for other sedentary work, at every workstation where a substantial
    proportion of the work is done sitting and does not involve serious
    physical effort, a minimum temperature of 16°C is, so far as is
    reasonably practicable, achieved and maintained after the first
    hour’s work,
    (d) means are available to enable persons at work to measure the
    temperature in any workplace inside a building,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Thanks Dudara

I did see this online alright but it simply mentions minimum temperatures and nothing regarding high temperatures. The issue in work is that it is too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I worked in a shop in 2004 where the air cond. was broken for 6 months, it was usually 28 - 30 degrees every day. We called every one we could think of including unions and factories and they all said there was no max temp just a min temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is a max temp. I've no idea what it is, but a friend of mine used to work in air con and when he was doing his time they got out of college a few times. I'll ask him tomorrow, if no one finds it first.

Advertisement