Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Track Charges!!

Options
  • 31-05-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Went up to the track to do a few laps today only to find they've installed a coded security gate!! Whatever happened to the track being open to the public when its not being used by a group? I thought this was a great local facility and I think its a disgrace that they won't allow the odd person to do a few laps for free. Its the only track I know of that theres a charge on. It really ruined my day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Did you check that they are charging, maybe its just a security gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Yeah, popped in and its €2. Ok, its not much but as a matter of principal I'm not gonna pay it.
    Its hardly worth their while for the 10 or so people they get down for the occasional run during the course of a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Can understand having a nominal charge to discourage people just hanging around (used to see groups hanging out at the sand trap area on a nice eve). Don't think it's a money-making thing so a charge of 50c would probably discourage groups hanging around and still encourage individuals to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

They need to make money any way they can. Even though it's a "public" facility, there is little or no public funding supporting it and they need to charge for everything (except the skatepark) in order to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

It's part of the all weather pitches complex isn't it. They make a fortune on that and they're not maintained too well. Have to twist their arm to get them to turn the lights on in the Winter. We have been playing there for the last three years and they're as flexible as a crow bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I've been using their indoor pitch in the gym for the past year and thats pretty disgraceful too. We have to sweep the rubbish off it and mop puddles of spilled drinks before we play.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

What I find really disappointing about the security gate is how heavy it is and inaccessible to anyone with a physical disability. I know at least one person who uses the track and he is a wheelchair user. It's completely against universal design and ensuring that all of our public amenities is accessible to everyone. There's no excuse for bad planning and it will probably cost more to fix now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a public facility, if you're not happy about how its being run contact the council and if necessary go to the local councillors.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of the charge being removed though - providing services for free is not something Wicklow Co. Co. are big into. The Shoreline centres, great though they are, are expensive in comparison to municipal facilities in other counties.

Advertisement