Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a hybrid/cross bike for €1000

• 31-05-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Looking to get a new bike for about a grand, and would appreciate some advice.

I won't be using it for work, for just getting fit, and live in a hilly area so would like to use it off-road to a small extent, but mostly road. No jumps off ravines so was considering a sporty hybrid like the Cube SL cross or cyclocross like the Giant TCX. I've been told though that the dropped bars are really only for racing.

The Cycle Spuerstore guys are keen on Cube but haven't heard much about them. Better to go for a Giant? Or a Boardman? Or does it really matter so long as you get decent mechanics on it? Any suggestions on models or stores would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I’ve come to love cyclocross bikes as great all-rounders for those of us who only have one bike. I use mine on canal tow-paths, single-track in the Phoenix Park, cliff paths around Howth & Bray as well as road cycling.

Drop bars certainly aren’t just for racers. If you’re doing any kind of distance, you’ll really appreciate having drops so that you can adjust and change your position for comfort. Drops are also handy when you’re cycling into a head-wind or going downhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Dwilly wrote: »
    Looking to get a new bike for about a grand, and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

I recommend the Focus Mares (Wiggle) and the Scott CX bikes (Slane Cycles), both have fairly short wheelbases making them feel a little closer to a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lots of choice at Evans.

The Specialized Tricross is quite popular but the handling is a bit slow witted, probably due to the very long wheelbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Lumen wrote: »
    The Specialized Tricross is quite popular but the handling is a bit slow witted, probably due to the very long wheelbase.

Ah! That'll be my excuse next time. It's not me that's slow to react - it's the bike's handling. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lumen wrote: »
    Lots of choice at Evans.

Might be better panniers though...

Advertisement