Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle route to Allenwood - Grand Canal?

• 31-05-2010 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi

I'm planning on cycling to Allenwood this weekend to visit friends.

Am I right in thinking that I can't make it all the way on the Grand Canal cycle route?

All advice and suggestions on the best route would be much appreciated (I'm starting in Dun Laoghaire).

Any idea how long it would take for a wimpy occasional cyclist on a commuter bike?

Thanks,

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

There's been a fair bit of construction work going on along the Grand Canal for the last year or more. I know from about Inchicore to at least Lucan, there's work ongoing on a new towpath, not sure if there's parts of this open yet or not.

From Lucan on, I'm not sure that there's even a towpath in some sections. I know about a year & a half ago, I tried cycling from somewhere around Straffan on to Naas, but it was really rough, had to get off & walk at times.

There's some really nice back roads you could take through, say Newcastle, Straffan, & on past Clane. If I can find a route, i'll post it here later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

You could head from DL to Saggart via Tallaght.
    From there head toward Rathcoole Steelstown Johnstown Naas (Newbridge or Clane) Allenwood.

The road to Naas is a very quiet country road that runs parallel to N7. Nice to cycle on. One short steep hill leaving Rathcoole. Otherwise pancake flat.
    Naas to Newbride or Clane are busyish roads. The Newbridge one is better IMO as it used to be a dual carriage way and has a big hard shoulder.

Should take 3-4hours at most taking it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

I have recently cycled along the canal from Adamstown to just past the Lyons estate and from Sallins to Robertstown. It's a little rough in places, but never too bad and in some parts very smooth. It's perfectly doable and very pleasant.
    The only proviso is I wouldn't do it on a road bike, I used a hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Tomm0

Thanks for the info.

ROK ON - I'll check out your route, though I'd prefer to do it by the canal if it's passable, even if it means getting off & pushing some of the way.

So Milan, from what you're saying, the bits in doubt are from Lyons Estate to Sallins, and the last bit from Robertstown to Allenstown? The last bit looks easy to bypass by road, though I'm not sure about from Lyons onwards.

I might be asking a bit much, but I don't suppose you can recommend a decent place to stop for a pint half way ish?

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just be carefull passing Broombridge. Prepare to have stones thrown, petrol bombs explode in your path & some small amount of gun fire - thats on a quite day, if its a busy day you won't make it out alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Just be carefull passing Broombridge. Prepare to have stones thrown, petrol bombs explode in your path & some small amount of gun fire - thats on a quite day, if its a busy day you won't make it out alive.

Broombridge is on the Royal (Riot?) Canal rather than the Grand Canal so it shouldn't be such a problem. I only saw one bonfire yesterday when I was travelling along the Grand Canal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

carthoris wrote: »
    Broombridge is on the Royal (Riot?) Canal rather than the Grand Canal so it shouldn't be such a problem. I only saw one bonfire yesterday when I was travelling along the Grand Canal :D

Ah, my bad... They can get some distance with those stones though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Tomm0 wrote: »
    I might be asking a bit much, but I don't suppose you can recommend a decent place to stop for a pint half way ish?

There is one that is right beside the canal in Hazelhatch, I think it is called McEvoys and it looks like a nice place. I have heard some people recommend it but I have not been in there.

I can't say if the bits outside where I've been are bad or good! The reason I haven't done them was nothing to do with conditions, just ran out of time on the day.
    There's a nice pub at hazlehatch and also in Sallins or you could detour along the Naas branch into Naas (a nice easy tarmacced route).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Tomm0

McEvoy's at Hazelhatch sounds perfect, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Robertstown to Allenwood is no problem. Used to do it all the time.

You have to cross over from the LHS to the RHS at the bridge in Robertstown, and you stay on that side all the way through Lowtown to Allenwood.

A hardtail mountain bike would be my choice of Ve-Hickle.

There's a good book called Towpath Tours by John Dunne, which is a guide to cycling along various waterways in Ireland. If such cycling tickles your fancy, it's worth a look. I picked it up on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

In fact Sallins to Allenwood is a very pleasant cycle. Would love to do it again sometime soon.

Make sure you report back Tomm0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

There's a good book called Towpath Tours by John Dunne, which is a guide to cycling along various waterways in Ireland. If such cycling tickles your fancy, it's worth a look. I picked it up on Amazon.

+1 on this being a good book. So far I've only gone as far as the Hill of Down on the Royal Canal. One fine sunny day last year I returned from from Naas after doing the 50km Tour of Kildare by cycling along the Grand Canal all the way into Inchicore. It was fine aside from the odd section of badly drained towpath. I felt like treating myself so I stopped off at the very fancy Village at Lyons for a great cappucino. When I was leaving the kind staff refilled my water bottle and threw in a few ice cubes.

FWIW, my bike is a Specialized Singlecross so the frame would be more suitable than a road bike. As long as the weather has been reasonably dry and the ground isn't too soaked, I've always been fine with my commuting tyres (28mm slicks) while cycling along canal towpaths.

Advertisement