Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

98FM

• 01-06-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Now calling themselves 98FM. RDS changed back to 98FM with new imaging airing and a new website at 98fm.com

Not really sure what to make of it all, the logo is very similar to Cork's RedFM (exact same font), they are using an odd tagline of "Now Is Good" whatever that is meant to mean?? With the same colours as FM104?? Lads, go back to the drawing board and get something original!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Havent seen logos etc but I much prefer them being called 98fm than Dublin's 98. Dublin's 98 sounds like something for really old people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

King Size wrote: »
    Lads, go back to the drawing board and get something original!

They were originally called 98fm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 King Size

Fago! wrote: »

I am aware of that, that was not the part I had the issue with. It is the ripped off logo and pretty much identical website as FM104?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

When was it not called 98fm?? I never knew it was anything else, that being said I don't really listen to the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I think they were called Classic Hits 98fm first time around were they not...

bbability wrote: »
    I think they were called Classic Hits 98fm first time around were they not...

Apologies yes the were. I meant before they were Dublin's 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

King Size wrote: »
    I am aware of that, that was not the part I had the issue with. It is the ripped off logo and pretty much identical website as FM104?!

I find the website to be more or less an exact copy of 104's. Have the lads in 98FM not realised by now that it is way too late to try claw back the listenership that they had.

They don't even have a PD!!!

Similar:

115796.jpg
    I like 98's new look!

• Advertisement

Similar:

115796.jpg
    I like 98's new look!

"Now is good".... Hmmmm... I wouldn't have said so in 98fm's case! Their website and logo are just a rip off from others.

And what's up with the twitter, facebook and youtube logo's? Did they get a 2yr old to draw them with crayons?!!

Just listening there a couple of mins ago, there news jingle has the time in it "ON FM, Online and on Digitla, this 98fm news, it's 5:55"..... it was 5:52. Bad move by them having the time in their jingles.

Just listening there a couple of mins ago, there news jingle has the time in it "ON FM, Online and on Digital, this 98fm news, it's 5:55"..... it was 5:52. Bad move by them having the time in their jingles.

Also sounds extremely similar to the wording of 104's news jingle... Without the time added in.

The whole remake is a shambles. It fell to piece's when they rebranded with the 'Smile' rubbish and have been trying to get it back ever since.

I hardly think copying Red's logo and 104's website format and colours and also their news jingles are going to do them any favours. Well done to the genius who had the very hard job of thinking those things up, all by themselves. The whole thing is a farce.

Is there nobody in the Malt House with some of their own initiative and creativity instead of copying others??! :confused:

Mega Buddy wrote: »
    Also sounds extremely similar to the wording of 104's news jingle... Without the time added in.

The whole remake is a shambles. It fell to piece's when they rebranded with the 'Smile' rubbish and have been trying to get it back ever since.

I hardly think copying Red's logo and 104's website format and colours and also their news jingles are going to do them any favours. Well done to the genius who had the very hard job of thinking those things up, all by themselves. The whole thing is a farce.

Is there nobody in the Malt House with some of their own initiative and creativity instead of copying others??! :confused:

Most news jingles are the same or similar word-wise so it's not just 104.

I like the on-air imaging jingles and liners. New voice guy and all. Sounds cool.

I reckon they did alright with this new rebrand.

The TV ad was horribly shyite though!

They haven't updated there iPhone app yet..OMG radio stations these days:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Perfect example of management set on asserting themselves whether it is needed or not.

Anyone seen their new tv ad yet?? Biggest load of sh*te ever. A talking Mexican/Spanish seal... WTF like?? Some girlie buying a dress... What on earth has that got to do with radio?? Almost as bad as that mockery of an ad when the woman was running down the beach telling us to smile!! I cringe with the images!!

And their new promo car's look like the fm104 one's. Little mini beetle bugs in the same red and white.

Talk about a rip off!!!

And listening in over the weekend, and a fair few of the jocks were just calling it 98... Totally forgetting the FM! Lol.

Arrggghhh.... It really is so frustrating that nobody in the Malt House has any creativity of their own!

I seen the ad. It's awful!

They should have went back to what they were, I liked it:

98fm.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I find the website to be more or less an exact copy of 104's.
    98FM launched their new website format before FM104 launched theirs. If anything, it's the other way around.

Kensington wrote: »
    98FM launched their new website format before FM104 launched theirs. If anything, it's the other way around.

I presume that you are talking about the old dublins98.ie website and not the 98fm.com one? Therefore you have just contradicted yourself as fm104.ie was launched before 98fm.com

And what about the colours and the font on the new site? The red is exactly the same red as 104, and the font is exactly the same as Reds!!!

Rip off merchants with no creativity!

And as for the tag line 'Now is good'..... I don't see how now can be a good time for them in the Malt House with D&D leaving breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

And as for the tag line 'Now is good'..... I don't see how now can be a good time for them in the Malt House with D&D leaving breakfast.

Nothing a focus group wont fix lol

Are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 King Size

Think you'll find you're wrong. The 104 site was active BEFORE the re-brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

104's was launched well before 98's one of the last 12 months etc... it was a complete rip off in layout only purple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

98FM have changed nothing about their web site except for the URL, logos and colours. It's structure and layout is identical to how it was when it was Dublin's 98.

Apart from both being red, I'm really not seeing how either their or FM104's site is a ripoff of the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 i am niamh

Im new to this board...but I want to say IN MY HONEST OPINION!...Well done 98...constant battle it seems on this and other sites to be number one

I just want to write her and compliment you! Personally, you have a GREAT range of on air staff that sound excited to be where they are , in this turbulent ecomomy..

You have a great daytime playlist...which..well you know yourself

the imaging of 98 or 98fm has ALWAY and continues to be top class! so congrats on that

Loving the I belive Dave Fox Z liners..

Well done x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

i am niamh wrote: »
    Im new to this board...but I want to say IN MY HONEST OPINION!...Well done 98...constant battle it seems on this and other sites to be number one

I just want to write her and compliment you! Personally, you have a GREAT range of on air staff that sound excited to be where they are , in this turbulent ecomomy..

You have a great daytime playlist...which..well you know yourself

the imaging of 98 or 98fm has ALWAY and continues to be top class! so congrats on that

Loving the I belive Dave Fox Z liners..

Well done x

:rolleyes:

Contract renewal coming up?

You know its a shame they've done a U turn on the name. If anything it was a opportunity to change the name altogether. Theres not one independent radio station in London using "FM" in there name. Why did 98 go back to the past? I'm waiting to hear Pat and Elaine on Monday Morning followed by Martin King...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wambago

I think its good,Dublins 98 was a dreadful rebrand!I think its a decent enough station anyway,was the listenership down or something that they had to rebrand again?

• Advertisement

Capital FM?

or...Capital FM 95.8

....I actually think that would have been a great rebrand name for 98

Capital FM?

or...Capital FM 95.8

....I actually think that would have been a great rebrand name for 98

Hmm... well there's two small problems with that...

One being that they're on 98.1FM, not 95.8 (which LMFM are on)...

and the other being that FM104 own the name "Capital Radio" in Ireland,- it was the station's original name (before it was Rock104) and they are still run by a company called Capital Radio Productions Limited.

Regarding the London station, Capital FM ... yes, they have FM in their name... and the weird thing is that they just ADDED it back to the name in a recent rebrand!

Bard wrote: »
    Hmm... well there's two small problems with that...

One being that they're on 98.1FM, not 95.8 (which LMFM are on)...

and the other being that FM104 own the name "Capital Radio" in Ireland,- it was the station's original name (before it was Rock104) and they are still run by a company called Capital Radio Productions Limited.

Regarding the London station, Capital FM ... yes, they have FM in their name... and the weird thing is that they just ADDED it back to the name in a recent rebrand!

Wel bard We all know that a station cant change freq with a rebrand.. its obvious that it would be Capital 98 fm

FM104 own Capital radio ? owned by utv....but what part of FM104s ON AIR Image says ...Capital FM 104? ....

same as 98 spin today and newstalk are owned by Mr O Brien..but its not called O Brien 98...O Brian Today FM..

Wel bard We all know that a station cant change freq with a rebrand.. its obvious that it would be Capital 98 fm

FM104 own Capital radio ? owned by utv....but what part of FM104s ON AIR Image says ...Capital FM 104? ....

same as 98 spin today and newstalk are owned by Mr O Brien..but its not called O Brien 98...O Brian Today FM..

I think you will find that Mr O' Brien is in fact a person, yet Capital Radio is a trading company. A big difference.

Just wondering.... Do you actually have any idea as to what you are talking about?

I thought I quite adequately explained it. FM104 own THE NAME "Capital Radio" in Ireland. It's the name of the company that runs the station, in the same way that (seeing as you mention them) 98FM (and Spin 1038) are run by a company called "Radio Two Thousand Limited" which is in turn owned by "Communicorp" (and not specifically by Mr. O'Brien), and Phantom 105.2 as another example is run by a company called Dublin Rock Radio Ltd. None of these mention the name of the limited company that runs the station in on-air imaging... Why would they?

Another example is the station you mention yourself - "95.8 Capital FM" in London - they're owned by the same company as LBC, XFM, Heart and a number of other UK stations. That company is called "Global Radio", yet you don't hear Capital mention that on the air... of course.

My point (which I thought I made quite clear) was that 98FM couldn't rebrand as "Capital Radio 98FM" or anything with "Capital Radio" in it because FM104 is run by a company called "Capital Radio" (which is in turn owned by UTV as you quite correctly point out, although that's not really relevant) and so the name is simply unavailable in Ireland.

Advertisement