Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get Fit, My fitness log

Options
  • 01-06-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Hi, Ive decided to start keeping a Fitness log here to try and motivate me to do that extra set or rep!

I'm still somewhat of a rookie to lifting, I am a footballer and was in very good cardiovascular shape right at the end of season with games coming thick and fast, but now the season is over I will be concentrating fully on the gym.

Stats

Height: 5, 9"
    Weight: 73.5 KG as of 31/5/10 (whilst wearing gym runners)

Goals

Lose body fat
    Gain more definition around abs, chest, arms & back!
    Increase my flexibility(I'm tight around hamstrings & IT bands)
    Improve my posture, I have rolled forward shoulders and a pelvic tilt that need sorting.

Workout

I intend to try and do 4 full-body work-outs a week, and two spin classes, is this the correct way to go?

I would appreciate any advice people would like to give, I think I am capable of performing most lifts(Just started with chin-ups) and the only one i would find daunting is the overhead press with any sort of damaging weight attached! I probably don't know too many ab or back work-outs so advice here appreciated.

If people want to suggest more things for me to add to my routine it would be great as I'm not sure I have a great structure to my work-out at the moment. I also am well aware my diet is not optimum but im trying to work on it.

Cheers, Johnn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Only could get to the gym for hour today, didn't get as much done as i had wanted

Warm up

5 mins on Cross-trainer, fairly intense, level 10 for 1 min, level 12 for 1:30min, level 14 for 2:30. Easily got past 1km in 5 mins.

Foam-rolled my IT bands and stretched them with knees on the floor pushing down into the front knee(like vids Transform posts), Found the foam rolling agony as the roller ground into the muscle.

Squats

1 x 5 reps x 20kg(Empty Bar)
    1 x 10 reps x 40kg
    2 x 5 reps x 60kg

Pull-Ups(Neutral Grip)

1 x 4 reps
    2 x 3 reps

Tricep Dips

1 x 6 reps
    2 x 5 reps

Bench Press

1 x 8 reps x 45kg
    2 x 6 reps x 45kg

Deadlift

1 x 10 reps x 40kg
    2 x 8 reps x 45kg

Didn't think I could do Pull-ups at all until last friday, I saw people on this board say how hard they were and didn't want to embarass myself in the gym, but attempted it and much to my surprise went straight up over the bar and got 4 reps from a dead-hanging start, was chuffed at the time!

Anyway it was weird doing sets of chins/dips as my arm work, i usually do preacher curls for my biceps and tricep extensions or pull-downs for my triceps. I found of the preacher curl you can actually see the muscles bulging which i didnt find with the chins but then my arms were on fire after when i was heading towards the showers so it must have been some decent work on them!

Still not completely sure on my form for squats yet as i am only starting them, i think i may lean to far forward with the weight at times, my shoulders were also sore afterwards, is that normal?

This is where I ran out of time! wanted to do some ab & back work but unfortuntely the gym had to close! Thinking of maybe a Spin class tomorrow

Got down to the gym for a 40min work out tonight, i was happy enough with myself as i was aching from the squats, feeling stiff along the shoulders and back(is this normal?) Anyway i was within an inch of staying in and watching Britain's Got Talent so it wasn't a bad work out considering!

Warm-up

5 mins Cross Trainer, 1.25km

Lat Pull-Down

3 x 10 reps x 41kg

Tricep Pull-Down

3 x 10 reps x 48kg

Bench-Press

3 x 8 reps x 45kg

Seated Row (Machine with widegrip)

3 x 10 reps x 41kg

Chin-ups(Neutral Grip)

1 x 4 reps
    2 x 3 reps

Anyway hoping to get to a Spin class around lunch time tomorrow and then do some ab work. Planks, and Plate shifting probably with a few crunches for good measure.

I've arranged to get a trainer i know in my gym to watch me when I Squat & Deadlift again on thurs to make sure my form is ok, i felt fine last fri when i first started them but want to make sure i dont have the bar too high on my neck for the squat as im very stiff today!

Spin Class

Got a 40 min Spin Class in today, was a decent enough work out.

Warm-Up

5 mins on Cross-Trainer. Pretty low intensity as I was sweating badly when i got to squating on monday and it put me off a little bit!

Squats

1 x 10reps x 20kg

1 x 8reps x 40 kg

3 x 5reps x 60kg

Deadlift

1 x 10 reps x 40kg

2 x 6 reps x 50 kg

Pull-Ups(Neutral Grip)

2 x 4 reps
    2 x 3 reps

Tricep Dips

2 x 6 reps

Abs

Plate Shifting, 2 x 10kg & 3 5kg plates.
    Did 2 sets with my legs lifted off the ground in front lifting the plates from my right and placing them on the ground to my left & then back again.

2 x 30 seconds Plank position

Advertisement