Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sulphur Springs 50 mile - Report

• 01-06-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't an event many (if anyone) reading these boards will enter. The reason I've put it in here is that it could be of some use to anyone who is training for or contemplating running a 50 mile race and want to know what may be in store. While I have it represented in more detail in my training log (including how I trained for it), by putting it here, it may reach a wider audience.

Hopefully it will be of some use to someone. This was my experience, and how it worked for me. Everyone is different, and I by no means swear by my methods.

If mods feel it is out of place here, please feel free to move it.

Its in its original position here, from my log, "Running Through the Wall":

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66170932&posted=1#post66170932

Sulphur Springs 50 mile (80.5km) Trail Race, Ontario, Canada, 29th May 2010

Get a cup of tea and some biscuits for this one....

Background:

I had decided just before the Dublin Marathon in 2009 (my third marathon - 3:11:21) that I would sign up for the Connemara Ultra in April 2010. It was something that I believed I could do, and with a little hard work, would be achievable. So I put my name down. Fast forward to Christmas 2009 and myself and Mrs. Killerz made a decision to move to Canada for 18 months. I knew that I wasnt going to be able to come home for Connemara, so looked for an alternative, and discovered the Ontario Ultra Series (www.ouser.org). I saw a race at the end of May, of 50 miles. I figured I had an extra month and a half than I would have had in the Connemara event, giving me that bit longer to prepare for the extra c. 11 miles or so.

Training:

And so began training through a cold Irish Christmas and January and an even colder Canadian February and March, and a warm April and May. I tried to follow training plans, but couldn't really stick to them due to emigrating, weather, a couple of injuries which put me out for about a week each time and to some degree, a bit of laziness.

That said, I did train hard and with a gritty determination. My typical running week consisted of 4 or 5 runs, with 2 x 8-15 miles during the week at a fast enough pace (7-8 min/ miles), building up to longer runs at the weekend. My heaviest weekend was 23 miles Saturday and 15 on a Sunday. I really should have done 20 x 2 in prep for this, but just didn't do it. This was a mistake. I think my longest week mileage wise was about 65 miles. I am taking part in the 1000 mile challenge, and coming up to this, I was closing in on 800 miles for the year.

Events along the way:

To spice things up, I entered the 30km Around the Bay Road Race in Hamilton, Ontario in March, finishing in 2 hrs and 8 mins odd. Then, as I wanted some trail experience, I entered the Seaton Trail Race (supposed to be 52k, but ended up being 55k due to wrong turns, and a last minute increase in the lap distance) in mid-April. This I finished in 6 hrs 21 mins, and it was an invaluable experience. It was technical trails, 4 x water crossings, together with extreme weather and tough hills. This gave me a lot of confidence though, and was the longest single training run I did for the 50 miler. Next up, I wanted to cross the sub-40 minute 10k off my mind. PB prior to that was 40:24 at Great Ireland Run 2009. I entered the Sporting Life 10k in Toronto, doing well, finishing in 37:23. Perhaps another mistake - possibly should have done a longer run that weekend.

The 50 miler

The Sulphur Springs 50 miler is a trail race, taking in 4 laps of a forested conservation area about 70k west of Toronto. There are a number of events held, including a 10k, 25k, 50k, 50 mile, 100 mile and 100 mile relay races. Most of the competitors for the 50 and 100 mile camp at the start/finish line, as there is an early start (6am) and its just damn handy really.

So, up at 4.30 am, had a couple of buttered bagels, cup of tea and a banana. Geared myself up, chatted with a few others and we were off at 6am. Temperature at this stage was approaching 18 degrees celsius - heat was going to be a major concern today.

The course is 97% trail, with the balance on road for short bits.

I had a loose target of sub 9 hours.

Equipment:

I wore one of the power bar bottle belts (the 4 x 100 mil bottle type), leaving the bottles out, instead filling the slots with gels (Hammer Gel Raspberry and Cliff Gel Strawberry with caffeine), salt tablets and emergency tylenol. I also had a race number belt, which would make it easy to switch shirts if necessary. Long sleeve top, shorts, under armour visor, socks and went for the road runners for this one as the trail was not going to be too technical. I used bodyglide/ easyglide on the soles of the feet and usual areas which worked a treat. No blisters, no lost toenails. I carried a water bottle (c.600mls) that has a hand strap on it throughout the race, refilling it at every station. Timing was chip timing, with lap splits provided.

Lap 1 - 2:06:12

This lap went well. I started at a relaxed pace, chatting to those around me and just plodding along. It was lovely leafy forest, with fairly solid trail surface. there are some animal hills where you just have to walk, knowing that you have a long way to go - everyone does it. Lovely to hear birds chirping, see squirrels, chipmunks etc bounding around. This is what running is all about. Ran with some of the 100 mile runners (who were doing 8 laps) - interesting to hear some of the events they have participated in.

There were aid stations roughly every 2.5k - 3k and were well stocked on the first lap with water and HEED (electrolyte drink). I kept the water going in, but was sweating quite a lot, so drank the HEED as well. Took a gel around 1:30. I think most of us doing the 50/100 miler were conscious that the 10k (with c.200 people taking part in it) was kicking off at 8.15 am, and we wanted to get through the start/ finish and back out on the trail before the stampede started on the narrow trails. I managed to do this, getting through in 2:06. Mrs. Killerz was there with deckchair and my kitbag (which contained trail runners, hats, shirts, sunscreen, water, food, gels etc). I knocked back a salt tablet (e-load electrolyte disc), changed my t-shirt to short sleeve and off I went.

Lap 2 - 2:15:13

By now the heat was having a bigger impact. Luckily, most of the trail is under forest cover, but its still really hot and sticky. Thankfully though, sunburn is less of a risk. Was able to run with a couple of guys I kind of know from the race circuit, the three of us banging out the second 10k of this loop while chatting away. I was still feeling pretty okay, but towards the end of the lap was beginning to feel the tiredness.

Popped one of the caffeinated gels about halfway through this lap. By now the aid stations were stocking food - cookies, potatoes and salt, pretzels, jellies, sandwiches, crisps etc, so I started taking some small amounts of food aswell. I probably lost 30 secs to 1 min at each aid station due to stopping for fill-up of water and some food, but I'm pretty sure that this little rest each time helped me in the long run.

And so lap 2 drew to an end, three of us coming up to the start/finish line together. I stopped at my deckchair again. Another salt tablet, some pretzels, stocked up more gels and off I went for lap 3.

Lap 3 - 2:43:31

Popped another Hammer Gel about 10 mins into this one. The first 5k of this went okay, was feeling good, and still on target for a sub 9 hour effort. After leaving a guy I was chatting to until the 7k aid station, I felt a bit worse. By about 9k (c.50k overall), I had a wave of emotion come over me and felt like I had to just "get out". My mind was crushed and I was in bits. Perhaps dehydrated and under-nourished? I walked for a bit and drank back some water. I told myself I was dropping out and that I would finish at the end of 3 laps, and that c.60k would still be a great achievement. Temperature now 30 celsius +

After I went through the 10k aid station I met a guy who was also having a little trouble, caused by a problematic sciatic nerve. We talked a lot, and alternated running and walking and he told me of the c.40 ultras he had done in his life. This kept my mind off the pain a little, but my glutes and legs were in a world of pain. However, I think the mental pain was the worst. If I could have dropped out, I would have, but it would be faster to just get to the end of the lap. And so, a real slow lap ensued. The middle of the day sun was beating down and finding a way to punish me through the trees. I ate and drank plenty, and even drank some Coke in an effort to give me a spur. Had another raspberry hammer gel.

In the last 2k of that lap, I started to feel a bit better, but was 80% certain I was dropping out. The guy I was running with shook my hand and thanked me for getting him through the lap, but in all reality it was him that got me through it. I said to myself I'll go through the start/finish one more time and back to my kit bag for a bit. So I went to my deckchair and discussed my feelings with Mrs. Killerz. Against my better judgment, I sat down for 2-3 mins, but kept stretching. Had two salt tablets, ate some pretzels, changed into my Irish tricolour top and slapped on some sunscreen. Mrs. K encouraged me to do it. She said I had put in the hard work and that even if I had to walk the last lap, I should do it. And so I did.

Lap 4 - 2:48:59

This time includes about 5 mins I spent at my deckchair at the start of the lap as described above. I set off quite well, and was able to move along at a decent pace. Had a gel about 30 mins in. I met up with a girl that I knew from other races and the Canadian boards.ie equivalent. She was running the 100 miler, and was going at a good pace. We spent about an hour chatting through what was right and wrong with the world, and also marvelling at how she peeled a potato and ate it while running, before I pushed on at 10k (just over 70k overall) to try and achieve my new sub-10 goal. I had a new lease of life now, with 10k to go, and suddenly was feeling top of the world.

I kept up the water and had one last gel just after the 15k mark (75k overall) and pushed for home.

I sprinted the last 200m and came in in 9:53:53, absolutely delighted with myself. That was good for 25th out of 75 overall. Not the fastest time, and a good hour slower than I thought I would do. But you just can't forecast how you'll get on in your first one of these. I beat my own demons and achieved my own goal. I didn't break any records, but I did it, and not many people have done 50 miles.

I could not have achieved what I did without the support of the wonderful Mrs. Killerz who truly went over and above what a wife should do in supporting me not only for the event, but in everything leading up to it.

The race was won in 6:28.

After:

I ate pizza and drank the sweetest beers ever afterwards. We spent the evening sitting outside the tent chatting to other runners and watching the 100 milers go in and out on their laps. I felt for them as they went out into the woods in the dark, headlamps on - some would still be running when I woke up at 8am the next day. The winner of the 100 miler broke the course record to finish in something like 17 hrs 14 mins or thereabouts. Unbelievable to see him sprint-finishing. Inspiring to watch the never-say-die attitude of the 100 milers. They show some great steel and determination.

A truly well organised race, run in great spirit. Well stocked aid stations, really friendly volunteers and race directors, and a superb camaraderie amongst competitors.

Other stats:
    - 5 raspberry, one caffeinated strawberry gel consumed
    - 5 e-load electrolyte salt tablets
    - c. 10 litres of water, 1 litre of HEED, 1 litre of gatorade consumed, c. 500 mls Coke
    - 1 bag of prezels, 1 bag of crisps, handful of jellies, 4 or 5 choc chip cookies
    - 1 potato with salt
    - c. 6,500 calories burned

Race kit bag included nice technical tee and hat.
    CAD$65 entry fee (c. 55 euro)

Lessons Learned:
    - Needed more training
    - Half of the battle (or more) was in the mind
    - I think I'm better in 26.2 mile or shorter races
    - You can do anything you put your mind to

Now to rest for a few days before planning my September Boston qualification attempt.

Killerz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Great report, well done for sticking it out. Sounds like you dealt well with the mental aspects in the end - after all it was 50 miles in the heat. That's always going to be a battle. Good luck for Boston.

Advertisement