Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucky the Sharks didn't get them!

Options
  • 01-06-2010 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

The pride of Ireland eh :rolleyes:

smh.com.au wrote:
    Ferry jump: tourists fined for Opera House swim

May 31, 2010

Two Irish tourists have been fined after stripping down to their undies and jumping from a ferry in Sydney Harbour, police say.

The men, aged 20 and 24, swam to the Sydney Opera House and made it on to dry land shortly after 8pm yesterday.

The pair, who had spent the evening at Manly, dashed towards Circular Quay but were met by a contingent of police and arrested.

They were fined $200 each for leaving the ferry in an unauthorised manner.

Acting Inspector Craige Hansen said the men were a little worse for wear.

"A little bit cool and worse for wear, [they] were detected by police in their underwear just near the Sydney Opera House," he told the Seven Network.

Article: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ferry-jump-tourists-fined-for-opera-house-swim-20100531-wnr7.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah they are pretty lucky, A Navy diver lost his leg to a Bull shark just off Garden Island which is about 200m from the opera house last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

During the Sydney Olympics I'm pretty sure there was an event that had athletes swimming in the bay.

There was temporary netting though and navy divers along the route I believe

Or did I just imagine that? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, the triathlon swim started and finished by the Opera House, as did the bike and run parts, but sharks not being as much of an issue for those sections of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

$200 isn't much of a deterrent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But where did they keep the cash during their swim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

robinph wrote: »
    But where did they keep the cash during their swim?

luckily Aussie notes are water proof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Does anyone know who these guys are or have a contact for them?! Looking to get in touch with them for something I'm working on...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Does anyone know who these guys are or have a contact for them?! Looking to get in touch with them for something I'm working on...

Coming to a screen near you - Idiots down under

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Try asking around the Tea Gardens or Cock n Bull, if they are idiots downunder that's where they will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

During the Sydney Olympics I'm pretty sure there was an event that had athletes swimming in the bay.

There was temporary netting though and navy divers along the route I believe

Or did I just imagine that? :confused:
    There's about 3 harbour swims a year, I was going to do this year's one, but changed my mind as it's filthy apparently, swam north bondi instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lucky pity the sharks didn't get them

FYP

Advertisement