Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum and its Mods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DazMarz wrote: »
    , but the favouritism shown by the mods towards various posters by the affiliation to their particular team can be painfully transparent at times.
    If you are going to make that kind of accusation, you better be able to back it up with examples, seriously. Or else stfu.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And in the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum we take a whiskey drinker, we take a vodka drinker, we take a lager drinker, we take a cider drinker.
    I've pretty much got that covered. :)
    CHD wrote: »
    It happens in the SF and everyone who is a reg knows it.

That's crap, give examples of this and stop posting in bullshít generalisations with no basis in reality.

CHD, you started this thread to annoy the SF because you are banned, banned but still allowed to have people post for you by proxy. That's a bigger problem with the forum. And, yes, I do have examples to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The above is the problem with the Soccer forum.

While the mods will deny it up and down, it is hard to shake the feeling that certain fans who use the Soccer forum have to be a lot more careful what they say for fear of infractions or bans, while other users have more of a carte blanche.

I don't think that the mods are impartial, I think that they can be more biased than they would care to let on, which is not a good thing.

Again, I'm with Xavi6 here mate, name and shame whoever you feel is inherently bias towards their own supporters and harsh on rival fans.

And even IF we were to entertain the notion that you should have mods who support different teams, as CHD pointed out, this is the mod list;

Iago - United
    Thanx 4 The Fish - Liverpool
    Dub13 - Liverpool
    Xavi6 - Man City
    eZe^ - Barca
    Frisbee - Arsenal

That's a fairly diverse supporting background if you ask me. A much more diverse supporting group than if you were to take Ireland as a whole (has the SF ever had such a mix of supporters as mods?). I think CHD is complaining solely because he wants to see a Chelsea mod, not because he truly believes a diverse mod group is better for the forum.

Anyway, as has been said previously, mods are chosen on merit, not on who they support. If you have genuine grips with how the forum is run, bring it up in end of season review lads. Unfortunately this just looks like a cry out for attention imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I know Tom Dunne has posted here already but I can assure you that when Frisbee was put forward as mod of the soccer forum, the team supported never entered the discussion nor would it have. Quite simply, we don't care who the mods support. They are all doing a good job in what can be one of our most contentious forums and I think they can do without this kind of conspiracy for that is exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I swear to God if one more person refers to me as 'she' I will nuke them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Frisbee wrote: »
    Its probably the moobs :P

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »

TOTM?

<3

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Kiera wrote: »
    Its probably the moobs :P

Post of the thread!!:D

I feel that the mods do a fine job and it shouldn't matter who the mods support at the end of the day.
    Tbh, I don't think there can be a win-win situation here at all.....Can't see why CHD feels that the top 4 should be represented above all else....how fair is that on all the other fans....
    It shouldn't matter as the mods are meant to be impartial and the way I see it if your not acting the maggot in the SF you'd be fine and the fanbase of the mod would not even matter!!!

Don't post sh!t and you'll be fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I thought the whole post of a moderator was that he or she enforced the charter. That is it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

what?! really? what team mods support has never been an issue in my experience in the forum. i actually thought Iago was a liverpool supporter for a while

and lloyd was removed because when an old school admin/mod said jump, he didnt respond with 'how high?' :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe there should be one non-football fan modding Soccer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Many would say the Mods who are Liverpool fans have that covered already, based on this season anyway

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cat mod would fill that function surely i.e. neutral party in cases where users feel mods have failed.

Anyway, completely disagree with the OP

'Cause we should obviously have a LOI mod first ;) (Though Xavi6 does follow shels, he supports one of them across the water and is thus tainted :pac:)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

But as mentioned above, in something that can be so bitterly divisive like the soccer forum, having one team over represented so much in terms of Mods who support them is not a good thing. The supporters of that team more or less have a carte blanche to do as they please, knowing the mods of their team will cover their backs.

This is balls imo,90% of any disagreement's I have on the soccer forum are with fellow Liverpool fans so how would I 'cover their backs'.

The while concept in the original post is crazy,most of us step back when our team is involved in a big issue.So in reality I don't care if the mod then dealing with it is a Chelsea,Man City or Longford Town fan once they are independent.

I think the Longford Town fan is banned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Chelsea are the best right now, why can't Chelsea have a mod. When debates go back the way of others from Chelsea fans mods will just side with the opposition and shut up fans of the double winners.

Lets take this part of your argument for a sec.

So Chelsea are good now (thanks to dirty oil money ;) ) but why does that mean we should have a Chelsea mod on boards.ie...?If anything it should be done on the number of Irish fans each club has and to be honest I don't think Chelsea would be in the top 5/6 on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ok, i'm bored...

The SF is fine.

i frequent it far too regularly ;) and i can't remember the last time there was an issue where a Mod's moderating was affected by their club allegiance. in fact, part of the reason the SF has run so smoothly in the last while is because the current mods enforce the charter, but allow for heated debate that doesn't get out of hand.

we should be congratulating the mods, not complaining about some perceived lack of representation for certain fans.

Mods, when they have their mod hat on aren't fans of anyone. that is difficult i can imagine at times, but the current mods have done it admirably.

making someone mod based on club allegiance would be moronic, and CHD, you're fully aware they aren't put in on that basis in the first place, so why should a Chelsea, Spurs, or whoever fan be put in based on their allegiance?

i'm pretty sure mods don't even look at who a poster supports before picking them, or if they do, it has no bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

smashey wrote: »
    I know Tom Dunne has posted here already but I can assure you that when Frisbee was put forward as mod of the soccer forum, the team supported never entered the discussion nor would it have. Quite simply, we don't care who the mods support. They are all doing a good job in what can be one of our most contentious forums and I think they can do without this kind of conspiracy for that is exactly what it is.
    That.

Quoted post searched for "he" or "she". Instances found: 0

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To be perfectly frank, you can go to any of a thousand Soccer Club Websites out there if you want other club discussion to be marginalized, because it sounds like thats basically what you're driving at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

First off congrats to Frisbee (Laura)

Welcome Arsenal mod and bringing a woman back is a welcome addition to the soccer forum.

Now....

We have a problem here in the forum. As we know Mods are normal users but put mod hats on when needed. In soccer as we know things can become heated, retarded and stupid quickly. When someone goes to far about Liverpool a Barca mod can step in. If things become heated a United mod can come in use big bad black text and split the thread or a Pool mod can say thats enough, get out and put a end to shenanigans.

Same can happen for United since they are going down the road of Liverpool and I am sure Pool mods will be equally accommodating of people who want to talk about their impending downswing.

Anyway point is we have

Iago - United
    Thanx 4 The Fish - Liverpool
    Dub13 - Liverpool
    Xavi6 - Man City
    eZe^ - Barca
    Frisbee - Arsenal

So, we represent the ''big teams''. Wow, nice one.

It is well known that Chelsea have been consistently one of the best for the last 7 years. Why don't Chelsea have a mod? Why do Liverpool have two? Spurs should have one. Now we all know Spurs had one in therecklessone as they prob saw Spurs being a top 4 side coming but unfortunately she left ( Prob best mod forum has seen too). We saw LuckyLloyd as a mod who also supported Liverpool. He was then sent packing. Why? Well I know the real reason. Pool have 3 mods, last in first out. Create a ruckuss and send him on his way, he prob wasn't in on it but thats how it went down I reckon.

What do you do? Fill that gap with a Arsenal mod. When Spurs have made it? You fill that gap with one of their rivals. Ah, but I know why... To keep the Spurs forum open and ticking over and keep them out of the soccer forum, same reason TRO packed his bags. I am onto you.

You have a United mod, Arsenal mod, Liverpool mod and Barca mod. That covers winner pickers and fans/ old winner pickers and fans/ young immigrants in London and fans/ Europeans respectively.

Chelsea are the best right now, why can't Chelsea have a mod. When debates go back the way of others from Chelsea fans mods will just side with the opposition and shut up fans of the double winners.

I call on the Admins to name a Chelsea mod and a best of the rest mod.

Thank you for your time people of boards.

PS,

Laura ( Frisbee ) didn't bring this on, it is nothing to do with her. Congrats and I wish you the best. You go girl.
    End of the day CHD you wound up the United fans. As bad as the mods are they made the right decision there in banning you for the six months.
    And no mod, Chelsea, liverpool, United or Accrington Stanley would have saved you. Consuming large amounts of Alcohol as you regularly do and then expecting fair player is a bit rich to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

End of the day CHD you wound up the United fans. As bad as the mods are they made the right decision there in banning you for the six months.
    And no mod, Chelsea, liverpool, United or Accrington Stanley would have saved you. Consuming large amounts of Alcohol as you regularly do and then expecting fair player is a bit rich to be honest.

Nice sly dig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Are these not considered personal attacks on character BY the Moderators?

Surely he has served his time (For whatever happened - newbie here), like every convicted person does he deserve this tag forever Or should he change his signature ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Consuming large amounts of Alcohol as you regularly do and then expecting fair player is a bit rich to be honest.

I don't really think that's a fair point to comment on. I know I've come onto boards when locked and posted utter shíte, maybe not to the epic level of CHD but I've done it, and I reckon a large majority of others have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Be careful what you wish for.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for.

It can, and does, work.

I mod Rugby with my iron fist of doom, even though I don't follow the sport. I just implement the charter, which I helped re-design so I know it inside out, and many people have said that the Forum is running much better than it was 12 months ago, before the changes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Des wrote: »
    It can, and does, work.

I mod Rugby with my iron fist of doom, even though I don't follow the sport. I just implement the charter, which I helped re-design so I know it inside out, and many people have said that the Forum is running much better than it was 12 months ago, before the changes.

My sarcasm detector beeped, didnt yours? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Hi SotS!! o/

tbh, im looking forward to laura's modding of the soccer forum :D sure, i got banned for 6 months and it was a liverpool supporting mod that did it, and one that was fond of me too. but, and i know this may come as a shock, when you f**k up - you get called on it, like i was.. and like CHD was. the rules dont apply to the novelty trolls tho :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I don't follow soccer. That means I don't support a "big" team. Can I be a soccer forum mod? I know what the offside rule is!

Dammit! With the seriousness from Des and Thaed above, all the sarcasm just got sucked right outta my post! :mad:

Bonito wrote: »
    I know what the offside rule is!
    That rules you out so, because most of the mods haven't a effing clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I ment the rugby offside rule! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bonito wrote: »
    I don't follow soccer. That means I don't support a "big" team. Can I be a soccer forum mod? I know what the offside rule is!

Dammit! With the seriousness from Des and Thaed above, all the sarcasm just got sucked right outta my post! :mad:

Can you explain it to the rest of us?? Grey areas are the downfall!!!!! :p

The modship in the SF right now is spot imo. At first, i thought CHD was having a laugh with his OP and it did make me chuckle alright. Now i'm starting to think he's being a bit serious!

I don't think mods supporting a particular club is an issue at all. Any warnings or bans i've been given have been from both Liverpool supporting and non supporting Liverpool mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement