Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reflecting on the 'Barry to Liverpool' saga

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No, he didn't.

Firstly do you really know that?
    Secondly, if he didn't I don't really know your point. He expressed a desire to leave, rather publicly. He wanted to leave, his price was set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

loads of players put out in the media they want their move, don't always get it though-Mascherano last season for example. wasn't for sale. full stop. and i'm pretty sure O'Neill mentioned him never handing in a transfer request-if he did, the deal with Liverpool would've been done cause it'd mean he wasn't due some sort of loyalty bonus so the price difference would've been made up that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

No, he didn't.

I remember during the Barry to Liverpool saga there were suggestions he had monetary reasons for not handing in a transfer request. Presumably little had changed when City came calling.
    The player is reluctant to put in an official transfer request because it would cost him significant loyalty payments from Villa. But at the weekend he expressed his dissatisfaction in print at being denied a move to Liverpool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article4258796.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

loads of players put out in the media they want their move, don't always get it though-Mascherano last season for example. wasn't for sale. full stop. and i'm pretty sure O'Neill mentioned him never handing in a transfer request-if he did, the deal with Liverpool would've been done cause it'd mean he wasn't due some sort of loyalty bonus so the price difference would've been made up that way.

Did Mascherano do a full scale interview in a paper demanding a transfer?
    Or were there quote attributed to him? (Open to answers on that one)

Anyway, what would happen if Torres did an interview tomorrow demanding a transfer? Barry did one and was sold the next season, Fabregas has kinda done one and will likely be sold next season as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

worked out well for barry in the end, he dodged a bullet in not joining liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Helix wrote: »
    worked out well for barry in the end, he dodged a bullet in not joining liverpool

Shame for Pool though, with Barry instead of Keane they might have had more in the tank for 08/09 and actually challenged Man Utd for no. 19. Him, Mascherano and Alonso in the teams midfield could've been the nucleus of something special.....

I'd like to think the Barry saga was also the moment when it become clear that Pool were a club in long term decline by virtue of them being unable to put their money where their mouth was, after all Villa are hardly a 'big' & 'illustrious' club like Milan yet here they were pricing Pool out of the market with ease.

As seen with Milner and countless others, if you're going to try and unsettle a player then at least have enough beans in the pocket to pay for it! lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

r that Pool were a club in long term decline by virtue of them being unable to put their money where their mouth was, after all Villa are hardly a 'big' & 'illustrious' club like Milan yet here they were pricing Pool out of the market with ease.

I don't understand this... Barry was sold a year later to club at a reduced price than was offered by liverpool. If Villa hadnt sold him he would eventually have walked for free.

Liverpool made an offer on Barry. Villa wanted more. This off season I wouldn't be surprised if Utd make an offer for Milner. Villa will want more, Utd. won't pay it and that'll be that and none of this ridiculousness. Its the nature of the game, managers will not sell for myriad of reasons, price not right, beef with other managers/clubs.

And why on earth the milan comparison? Are you talking Inter or the Knacker yard that is AC? Neither of this comparisons make any sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

yea, he did. so will 99.9% of players when a bigger more illustrious club comes in for them.
    So Torres to Eastlands or Stamford Bridge then?
    All clubs are selling clubs once the price is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

wynters wrote: »
    Stop reading it then!

wordpuzzlea.jpg

I don't care for either side of this debate, but I couldn't help myself

@OP

The clue is "People Who Annoy You"

scourers.jpg

The answer is SCOUrERS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Shame for Pool though, with Barry instead of Keane they might have had more in the tank for 08/09 and actually challenged Man Utd for no. 19. Him, Mascherano and Alonso in the teams midfield could've been the nucleus of something special.....

I'd like to think the Barry saga was also the moment when it become clear that Pool were a club in long term decline by virtue of them being unable to put their money where their mouth was, after all Villa are hardly a 'big' & 'illustrious' club like Milan yet here they were pricing Pool out of the market with ease.

As seen with Milner and countless others, if you're going to try and unsettle a player then at least have enough beans in the pocket to pay for it! lol.

Alonso would have been gone though if the Barry deal went through, which IMO would have put Liverpool in a worse position in 08/09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Alonso would have been gone though if the Barry deal went through

To the same illustrious club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Alonso would have been gone though if the Barry deal went through, which IMO would have put Liverpool in a worse position in 08/09.

Nothing to say this is definately the case. Every quote says different, and bids were made and rejected for Alonso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I feel sorry for Liverpool fans if Benitez is still in charge next season.

Some of his buys have been bizarre and his man management has been atrocious to say the least, with at least one player complaining that he hardly ever talks to some players.

His treatment of Babel, Robbie Keane, Riera and others has been awful.

And paying 18 million or so for a right back, Glenn Johnson was also bizarre. You don't pay more than 10 million for a wing back, which is always going to be a fringe position on the team. You pay big money for centre forwards and centre midfielders.

Look at how little Ferguson has paid for wing backs over the years, apart from Evra, a pittance.

Aqualani looks like he will never be fully fit. Torres looks a crock. Kuyt isn't an out and out striker. They rely too much on Gerard and Torres who are injured more often than not.

There is a reason Liverpool did poorly last year and it's mostly Benitez fault. And Barry wouldn't have done much to change that.

PS I'm not a Liverpool fan, which is probably why I can call it like it is, and amn't loyal to Benitez for winning the Champions League with a team mostly created by Houlier.

plasmaguy wrote: »

Some of his buys have been bizarre and his man management has been atrocious to say the least, with at least one player complaining that he hardly ever talks to some players.

And paying 18 million or so for a right back, Glenn Johnson was also bizarre. You don't pay more than 10 million for a wing back, which is always going to be a fringe position on the team. You pay big money for centre forwards and centre midfielders.

Look at how little Ferguson has paid for wing backs over the years, apart from Evra, a pittance.

Aqualani looks like he will never be fully fit. Torres looks a crock. Kuyt isn't an out and out striker. They rely too much on Gerard and Torres who are injured more often than not.

There is a reason Liverpool did poorly last year and it's mostly Benitez fault. And Barry wouldn't have done much to change that.

PS I'm not a Liverpool fan, which is probably why I can call it like it is, and amn't loyal to Benitez for winning the Champions League with a team mostly created by Houlier.

i'll resist the urge.
    Has nothing to do with the topic in question anyway.

Good post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Good post.

sarcasm-detector.gif

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i'll resist the urge.
    Has nothing to do with the topic in question anyway.

In my view it's relevant.

It's to do with the Manager's judgement.

I watched a Champions League tie where Benitez left on Voronin for 65 minutes and kept Babel on the bench.

Even the manager of a Phoenix Park side would tell you that Vorinon was useless, couldn't hit a barn door, etc etc. Then he brings on Babel who scores a wonder goal almost with his first touch. Had Babel been on from the start they should have won the game. That's just one example of bizarre decisions.

Barry is an ok player, but Benitez in his chase for him, undermined Alonso and that's the main reason Alonso left. Liverpool were a much poorer side without Alonso, most people agree on that.

His judgement is poor, and the Barry/Alonso saga was another example of his shoddy man management skills. It's no use having a Barry in the team when the manager hardly knows how to manage.

But anyways, since I don't support Liverpool, I'm not too bothered. Best of luck with the Europe League next year. I'll be supporting my team in the Champions League, but I'll keep an eye out for Liverpool's games against Standard Liege and other giants of European football.

who do you support?

who do you support?

Man. U.

shock horror.

• Advertisement

He paid 30 million on a central defender though (Ferdinand). I dont think johnson was a waste of money. As a defenders he scores, assists and is involved in the attacking play quite regularly, having missed ten games. This on top of what was considered a rubbish defensive season for liverpool but far better than the vast majority in the league . I expect this to be further improved as the defense settles next season.

So how about wingbacks in general

Chelsea had an initial bid 0f £16 million for A Cole knocked back wanting 25 million (Fair enough the exact money that changed hands there is hard to calculate, what with Gallas and all, though liverpool did only pay portsmouth £10mill for johnson). Lillian Thuram cost Juve £22 million

Other Defenders: Joleon lescott is reported to have cost City £22-£24 million. 12 mill on Kolo Toure (who's 29). I dont think ridiculous money was spent on Johnson, sure I would've liked him to be cheaper...

As for torres being a crock? Not even going to touch that. And Finally Evra did cost a pittance... I consider 5 million for a player of that calibre a pittance

So you give Benitez the money he wants, let's say 80 million.

Who will he spend it on? He spent the guts of 50 million on Aquilani and Johnson, players who even when fit, have negligible impact.

A wing back is never going to score 30 goals a season nor assist others in scoring 30 a season.

The problem with trying to buy a League title, is eventually you run out of money.

Even Abramovic runs out of patience when his manager doesn't win the league once. IF he had stayed with Scolari, it's doubtful Chelsea would have won the league this year.

101001 wrote: »
    He paid 30 million on a central defender though (Ferdinand). I dont think johnson was a waste of money. As a defenders he scores, assists and is involved in the attacking play quite regularly, having missed ten games. This on top of what was considered a rubbish defensive season for liverpool but far better than the vast majority in the league . I expect this to be further improved as the defense settles next season.

He paid 30 million on a centre back which is a much more crucial position, ie usually the last defender to beat, marks the centre forward, goes up for corners.

cant believe i got suckered into writing that post. I took it as a sincerity. I acknowledge my stoopidity and slink off

Who will he spend it on? He spent the guts of 50 million on Aquilani and Johnson, players who even when fit, have negligible impact.

lol, everything in this sentence is ridiculously incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

wynters wrote: »
    A. It's nowhere NEAR 50-50. Of the internet frequenting, teenage, Championship-Manager demographic - whom incidentally also think we should be signing Lionel Messi! then yep - 'could well be 50-50 there alright. But of the rest, who are old enough to actually know what they're talking about, the vast majority are firmly in O'Neill's corner. The minority, whose opinion I still respect, only want a change to progress the club quicker i.e. to move even further above Liverpool.

B. If you're up for it, I'll wager James Milner will still be a Villa player come September 1st. MON and Lerner have both said he won't be sold. Have you not learned what that means from two summers ago?

C. "now at the same level as Villa" :) Passing strangers is all, of entirely different wealths and sophistications. Villa on the way up. Pool on the way down.

so much lol in this post!! first off, age does not equate to football knowledge im afraid. secondly, who on earth thinks ye should be signing messi. and thirdly you must be kidding about villa on the way up and pool on the way down because you must be implying that ye are gonna move ahead of us as a club now...well I am willing to wager anything you like on the fact that the pool will finis ahead of villa next season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

oh god. what another load of tosh!! 'you pay less than 10 mill for wing backs'?? what a load of rubbish. how much were paolo ferreira and boswinga's transfer fees to chelsea? how about dani alves to barca? If maicon goes to madrid will they get him for less than 10mill?? and to compare what fergie has paid for that position is both irrelevant and unfair. for a start fergie has had gary neville in one full back slot for almost two decades...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

mormank wrote: »
    ...well I am willing to wager anything you like on the fact that the pool will finis ahead of villa next season!!

Name your price sir! Wynters doesn't shirk a bet.

Advertisement