Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Find Landlord???

Options
  • 01-06-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The house next door to me is rented out and i'm having alot of problems with the people in it playing extremely loud music through the dividing wall between ours and theirs. We've asked them to keep it down but they're not interested. I work shifts and find it impossible to sleep sometimes.They dont work so it happens quite a bit.

I traced the name of the owner through the property registration authority in Dublin but the owner used next door as his contact address so I cant get hold of him. He is not registered on the PRTB website so my only thought is that he's not declaring the house is rented. I've spoken to the gardai who didnt have any luck tracing him, I didnt want them coming out to the house as I'd like to speak to the landlord first.

Would anyone have any idea how I would track him down. He doesnt know whats going on so I want to give him a fair opportunity to quieten down his tenants before I go down the route of PRTB, Revenue, County Council.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

How long are the tenants living there?

The PRTB Register is from 31st December 2009. I'd ring them up to see if they have any luck rather than relying on just the register. Plus a lot of properties are misaddressed on it. They may be able to contact him for you.

If that doesnt work and you have a name how about your write to him at the address next door, he probably picks post up from them. I know that could take a while though and you need your rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You need to fill out this form: http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/3rd%20Party%20Website%20Dispute%20Information%20Note-August%202009.doc

It starts on page 3.

Fill in your reasons for requesting the landlord's contact details. As you say, he may not be registered, so the PRTB may not have his details, but they will begin proceedings to get the LL registered. What this entails I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing it involves all the necessary resources of the state (i.e. revenue etc). In other words, they will locate him and make him register. I'm imagine after that is done they'll supply you with his details, assuming they see your request as reasonable.

Keep documenting the neighbours behaviour, and share the LL's contact details with your neighbours who may also want to express their annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi,
    The house next door to me is rented out and i'm having alot of problems with the people in it playing extremely loud music through the dividing wall between ours and theirs. We've asked them to keep it down but they're not interested. I work shifts and find it impossible to sleep sometimes.They dont work so it happens quite a bit.

I traced the name of the owner through the property registration authority in Dublin but the owner used next door as his contact address so I cant get hold of him. He is not registered on the PRTB website so my only thought is that he's not declaring the house is rented. I've spoken to the gardai who didnt have any luck tracing him, I didnt want them coming out to the house as I'd like to speak to the landlord first.

Would anyone have any idea how I would track him down. He doesnt know whats going on so I want to give him a fair opportunity to quieten down his tenants before I go down the route of PRTB, Revenue, County Council.

Thanks
    i thought the council deals with noisy tenants, if you go there they may be able to help, as any rent out has to be registered with the council as there is a fee payment since january of this yr to the council on rent outs
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could bring a complaint through the council or bring the tenant to the district court yourself if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

As a matter of interest. What do you want the landlord to do?

If the tenant threw rocks through your window would you expect the landlord to pay for the damage. The landlord is not responsible for the behaviour of individual persons.

If you have a problem with noise pollution then contact the local council. If that doesn't produce an acceptable outcome then you need to go to your local / district court and look for an injunction.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    The landlord is not responsible for the behaviour of individual persons.
    On the contrary, a landlord is responsible to third parties for the behaviour of their tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Victor wrote: »
    On the contrary, a landlord is responsible to third parties for the behaviour of their tenants.
    yes, i fully agree
    if there are drugs found in house, land lord is also part responsible, after all he/she was the person who permitted these people to live in house, it is their duty to lay down law drawn up by lawyer, and if any of these rules are broken, he can show tenant the door

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

goat2 wrote: »
    yes, i fully agree
    if there are drugs found in house, land lord is also part responsible, after all he/she was the person who permitted these people to live in house, it is their duty to lay down law drawn up by lawyer, and if any of these rules are broken, he can show tenant the door

The gardai (DPP) wouldn't pursue a case against a landlord if his/her tenants were caught with drugs in the house and I've never seen any lease agreement that mentions not having drugs etc in a house. You won't either. Criminal law supercedes civil/contract law.

In the case of the OP the landlord is not "responsible" for the brhavour of the tenants either. If the OP wants to solve the problem she'll have to get an injunction against the individuals in question.

Uriel. wrote: »
    The gardai (DPP) wouldn't pursue a case against a landlord if his/her tenants were caught with drugs in the house and I've never seen any lease agreement that mentions not having drugs etc in a house. You won't either. Criminal law supercedes civil/contract law.

In the case of the OP the landlord is not "responsible" for the brhavour of the tenants either. If the OP wants to solve the problem she'll have to get an injunction against the individuals in question.
    A neighbour can't ask a court to evict for anti-social behaviour, a landlord can. The landlord is responsible to the neighbours to ensure that the anti-social behaviour is stopped.

Advertisement