Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying Blocked Calls

Options
  • 01-06-2010 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi

Over the last period, I've began to receive a number of blocked calls..i.e. someone calling me withholding their ID, only for me to answer and then they hang up.... I want to get to the bottom of it, so the first step is that I need to identify the number/person who's calling me...

Has anyone ever successfully got this to work (in Ireland)?? There are a few vids on youtube but I'm presuming they're for US phones only...??

JF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only way to get to the bottom of it, is to contact the Gardaí who will in turn contact the phone company. Phone companies will not release incoming call information without a legal request.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the only way to do this is through your network provider (unfortunately via the Gardai) .... this means that you have to report malicious calls to your provider and also to the gardai.

when you tell them of a time/date of a call they will check the log - but chances are that it will come up null and void (from my experience the Gardai told me that ID's cant be checked if the person has their number of private, only if they blocked the number .... meaning if they typed #31# and then dialled the number.)

I've no doubt that if it was someone with money or a political influence they would be able to find the caller ....just not for the ordinary "Joe" ...not worth the hassle, because once they start doing it for the ordinary people they will have loads of people wanting it done and people doing it to friends (calls with ID protected) as a joke would be reported...and waste time/money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jonnyfoxes

hmmm...interesting....thanks for the replies.... BALLS!
    I think I might have an idea on who it is, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions..... guess ill just hav to hope that it stops in the very near future...the last thing in the world I would want to do is go to the coppers...uugghhhhhhhh

thanks guys :)
    JF

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vanman

go to your service provider and tell them whats happening to you,some providers like o2 i am sure can put a programme on your fone and it will unblock any with held numbers that you get-worth a try, a couple of months ago i lost my brilliant nokia 6680 and someone found it and was answering texts that were ment for me as if it were me and caused untold damage to my reputation-it was the weekend and the mobile phone shops were closed and it was monday before i could get the sim card switched off but by then the damage had been done. on the monday morning when i got to the fone shop they were supposed to switch off the lost sim card and give me back my number using a blank sim-but i have no fone book as it was on the lost fone-and you dont know what someone will do with those names.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vanman wrote: »
    go to your service provider and tell them whats happening to you,some providers like o2 i am sure can put a programme on your fone and it will unblock any with held numbers that you get-worth a try, a couple of months ago i lost my brilliant nokia 6680 and someone found it and was answering texts that were ment for me as if it were me and caused untold damage to my reputation-it was the weekend and the mobile phone shops were closed and it was monday before i could get the sim card switched off but by then the damage had been done. on the monday morning when i got to the fone shop they were supposed to switch off the lost sim card and give me back my number using a blank sim-but i have no fone book as it was on the lost fone-and you dont know what someone will do with those names.

That is absolute bollocks, the Caller ID String is stripped out by the Network, i.e. your phone can't get it if it hasn't recieved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 vanman

i suppose that vodafone in touch is bollocks too?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

The phone number is always sent in an sms you cant hide your id its only on calls. vodafone in touch is the same as meteor call catcher......you receive an sms if someone has tried to ring you when your phone is off etc ....... but the sms is only sent if the caller is sending their caller id.

Networks will only release incoming call info if they recieve a request from Gardai or for legal reasons....courts cases etc. unfortunately everyone has the right to hide their phone number when making a call.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

PCPhoto wrote: »
    when you tell them of a time/date of a call they will check the log - but chances are that it will come up null and void (from my experience the Gardai told me that ID's cant be checked if the person has their number of private, only if they blocked the number .... meaning if they typed #31# and then dialled the number.)

Tis the same thing, when you put your phone on private number, each call is just prefixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

The operator does have the ability to identify any call that passes through their network. When you 'hide' your number your only preventing it from being 'presented' to the receiving party. The calling number is always presented to the network. (International calls are sometimes an exception to this due to legacy standards)

Inform your operator and the Gardai, if the calls are abusive/threatening they will follow-up. If they are only an annoyance - its likely nothing much will happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

One of my friends who works for one of the networks has it set up on her phone that any call she recieves the number is displayed (ie private or blocked numbers) she had it set up by tech support via the network so it's not handset related and prove's it can be done.

If you ring up and explain your case they might do it for you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

eireal wrote: »
    One of my friends who works for one of the networks has it set up on her phone that any call she recieves the number is displayed (ie private or blocked numbers) she had it set up by tech support via the network so it's not handset related and prove's it can be done.

If you ring up and explain your case they might do it for you

It can be done, I know a couple of people who worked in one of the operators who set it up on their phone and who still have it.

Also the operator wont do it, it's a serious breach of data protection or privacy laws (not sure which but its not done).

Advertisement