Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Versions of Windows 7

Options
  • 01-06-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm putting together a new build (which I will post in a couple of weeks when I have the money), but am a little confused by which version of windows 7 to get. I'll be using it for meduim to high level gaming and browsing. I'm pretty sure I want a Home Premuim 64 bit. But here is the problem do I want the retail version or the OEM? I only want to install it on this build but I will be upgrading in the future. And how do I know if the version is 64 bit, none of the sites (amazon) seem to specify unless I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

One of the things people are usually most concerned about in home premium is whether they're going to use XP mode. So home premium should be ok as long as you're not using older programs, where compatibility isn't enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_versions

RE: If it's 64-bit. For example,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Version/dp/B002DUCMT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1275383161&sr=8-1
    Technical Details
    Windows 7 Home Premium (includes 32-bit & 64-bit versions)

But you only get one key!

Retail vs OEM. When you say you'll be upgrading, are you talking about, say adding a new hard drive, more RAM, or a completely new install?
    If you're going to be reinstalling, you should get retail. If you're going to stay with the same install for several years, get OEM.
    You could always install it and not activate the key until you're sure that your system is exactly as you want it. There's also some ways to get a little more than the 30 days too (I think up to a maximum of 90 days, if I recall correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Monotype wrote: »
    There's also some ways to get a little more than the 30 days too (I think up to a maximum of 90 days, if I recall correctly).

It involves running a command in cmd. I cant remember the command exactly but what it does is reset the 30 day timer and can be used 3 times (giving you 90 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

slmgr -rearm

Advertisement