Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make prawns taste better?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to make king prawns taste a bit less fishy? I've tried frying them in olive oil and it helps a bit but sometimes they still taste too fishy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Prawns shouldn't taste fishy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Buy fresher prawns! Chinese supermarket/wholesale sell blocks of big frozen fresh tiger prawns. That or theres a good place in howth but cant remember the name. Any fresh fish shouldnt smell fishy but there's deffinitely not a very 'fishy' taste from prawns so they're probably not that fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

What's the best way to make king prawns taste a bit less fishy? I've tried frying them in olive oil and it helps a bit but sometimes they still taste too fishy.

Danger danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Jesus, yeah.

ALL seafood should be shiny, firm (with the exception of molluscs and crabmeat etc..) and smell of nothing but faintly of the sea.

The other explanation is that they're in brine and you're not washing them properly.

Either way, GET NEW PRAWNS :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Prawns will only be fishy if you buy cheap, bad-quality prawns. Fresh ones don't smell or taste fishy at all. They taste like gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Tiger prawns that you refer to are generally imported frozen and are farmed in Asia. IMO they are tasteless, rubbery and overpriced for what you get. So no matter how ahrd you try to imprvoe the taste, it won't improve. BTW, These normally come cooked so maybe check the packaging to ensure that they are raw.

The best prawns are the Dublin Bay Prawns/Langostines variety which are caught off the Irish coast. They are like miniature lobster...only problem is that they are damn expensive. Normally I shell them and fry them with diced chilli's or garlic. Delish.

Hope this helps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dublin Bay prawns have really come down in price these days, I've seen them on sale for as little as €10 per kg.
    With any shellfish, if you want them to taste really good, cook them in heavily salted water, about 1 tablespoon of salt per liter of water or if you can get it, use seawater

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

agree, with above

but here are some of recipes I use:

100ml olive oil,
    3 garlic cloves sliced thinly
    2 handfuls of parsley chopped

mix all the above and marinate prawns for 1hr, fry on both sides for 2mins or until opaque.

also try fry the prawns with Chorizo, and the fat juice is lovely.

Another tip is to cook with the heads on as the flavour will flow out and is amazing!

hussey wrote: »
    100ml olive oil,
    3 garlic cloves sliced thinly
    2 handfuls of parsley chopped

mix all the above and marinate prawns for 1hr, fry on both sides for 2mins or until opaque.

Don't forget a finish of lemon juice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Here's a nice one:

4 tablespoons of olive oil (i use chilli oil)
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    3 tablespoons of fresh coriander
    1 tsp of dry coriander
    1 garlic clove

Marinate, and then after a while, fry on a high heat until done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Try frying your prawns in garlic and chilli, thats my fav!

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Try frying your prawns in garlic and chilli, thats my fav!

The thing you have to watch with that is if your garlic turns brown it will be bitter and ruin your dish

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I attempted Salt & Chilli Prawns like you'd get in the Chinese during the week but without deep frying them. I scored them down their backs, lightly coated in cornflour then tossed them in a pinch of Chinese 5 spice, sea salt and chilli flakes. I got the frying pan nice and hot and added a small drizzle of oil. Then fried the prawns for 2mins on each side, don't shake the pan just let them alone and sizzle away. If I say so myself they were pretty authentic and much healthier than the take away ones.

Advertisement