Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your Broadband connection disconnect often?

• 01-06-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I've got a 3MB connection with Vodafone (ex. BT) and I'm in Leixlip. A few times a day the broadband connection drops and I need to reset the router. This is a pain if I am downloading something large overnight :mad:

If I connect to the router it says 'Handshaking' and the button is there to connect but will not do so - that is why I need to power it off then on again.

Just wondering is someone has come across this before.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

I've got a 3MB connection with Vodafone (ex. BT) and I'm in Leixlip. A few times a day the broadband connection drops and I need to reset the router. This is a pain if I am downloading something large overnight :mad:

If I connect to the router it says 'Handshaking' and the button is there to connect but will not do so - that is why I need to power it off then on again.

Just wondering is someone has come across this before.

Cheers :)

..........and this is why I'm leaving Vodafone this month. Never had a problem with BT; I've had this exact experience almost every day since the switch to Vodafone. I've tried wireless, wired, homeplugs.........same result with all of them.

I've even had the line checked to see if anything had changed, but apparently not, so off to UPC I go :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

clubcrown wrote: »
    ..........and this is why I'm leaving Vodafone this month. Never had a problem with BT; I've had this exact experience almost every day since the switch to Vodafone. I've tried wireless, wired, homeplugs.........same result with all of them.

I've even had the line checked to see if anything had changed, but apparently not, so off to UPC I go :-)

Hmmm.... Not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Hmmm.... Not good :(

One thing they did tell me was that my line couldn;t handle 24MB so they downgraded it; this worked for a couple of days then the same old problems started again.

So do log it with them and see if theres anything they can do with your situation. I actually found their tech support guys to be good, its just the service thats crap. There are vodafone reps here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 casiof91w

more than likely the setup in your house is incorrect...if you are using the white vodafone modem make sure the adsl wire into the phone socket is connected directly and you are not using a splitter or filter as there is no need for this....if you arent using a splitter or filter disconnect everything plugged into a phone socket in the house all phones and sky tv and use your broadband on its own for a while see if it continues if it does ring vodafone they will be able to see a list of disconnection reconnections from their usage and be able to run tests and fix the problem for you

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

casiof91w wrote: »
    more than likely the setup in your house is incorrect...if you are using the white vodafone modem make sure the adsl wire into the phone socket is connected directly and you are not using a splitter or filter as there is no need for this....if you arent using a splitter or filter disconnect everything plugged into a phone socket in the house all phones and sky tv and use your broadband on its own for a while see if it continues if it does ring vodafone they will be able to see a list of disconnection reconnections from their usage and be able to run tests and fix the problem for you

Thanks mate. I still have the original BT Voyager router (210 I think). Does this not require the the ADSL filter\splitter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 casiof91w

the bt modem does need a filter or a splitter if you have a phone plugged into the same socket...is the internet light red on your modem if it is you need to log into modem and put in the vodafone username and password username vodafone@vodafone.ie password broadband.....i would disconnect all phones and sky and just have the modem plugged into the main phone socket in the house see if you keep getting disconnected if you have phones plugged in that are faulty they can cause shorts in the circuit and result in disconnections...possibly you moved over from BT and have been put onto a package where the speed supplied is too high for your line this can result in an intermittent service

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Hi,

In addition to the Voyager, 210 (without aeriel) 2110 (aeriel), you need to make sure you are using the grey DSL cable supplied.
    White Telephone Extension Cables are not compatible with DSL

Whilst online, log into your router via 192.168.1.1, under the menu on the left, there is a firmware version.
    It MUST be 3.62 for the 2110, 3.62a for the 210.
    If it is a 2110 and has firmware 3.63, upgrade.

Click on the firmware version, username and password is "admin" (lower case), then click on the upgrade button below the red writing.

It will automatically connect and locate the latest firmware version.
    Click upgrade again and let it run.

Router will reboot like Windows does after an update.

If the firmware is correct and you still disconnect, click on this link

http://192.168.1.1/infodsl.html

check your sync rates with your ISP.
    Downstream and upstream sync rates should be what you are paying for

Advertisement