Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting things to do with a whole chicken?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hiya lads,

Long time lurker on this forum, and love all the recipes/ ideas. I have a full raw chicken that I need to use today/ tomorrow but don't want to do the traditional roast lemon/ garlic chicken with stuffing etc.
    I am REALLY bad at separating raw chicken from the bone so ideally, I would like to roast it THEN do something different to it.
    Has anyone any recipes or ideas on how I could make it interesting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Spatchcock and lash it on the BBQ, I've started doing this about once a week now, and it only takes about 35 mins for a s/m chicken. Then you can make stock out of the backbone you've taken out for future use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I don't have a barbeque! Although will have to get one soon. If I was to cover the chicken in a barbeque seasoning, then roast, what could I cook as a side order. Whenever I think "chicken", I think "roast spuds", but I wanna so something new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lillylilly wrote: »
    I don't have a barbeque! Although will have to get one soon. If I was to cover the chicken in a barbeque seasoning, then roast, what could I cook as a side order. Whenever I think "chicken", I think "roast spuds", but I wanna so something new :)

Yeah, I'm the same. The cooking club this week has a spatchcocked chicken - looks fab! That would be a good one to try out? There is a vid in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Try pot roasting it for a change.
    Here is one recipe, but there are lots if you look around.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/294513/Delia-s-chicken-pot-roast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could also try chicken stew. This is a fairly light dish...

Ingredients
    Chicken
    Potatoes
    4 or 5 carrots in large chunks
    4 or 5 sticks of celery in large chunks
    2 small/medium onions quartered
    Herbs: Bay leaf, thyme, parsley (what ever you fancy really)
    1 litre of chicken or veg stock
    Olive oil

Preparation
    Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a large pot
    Chuck in the veg, bay leaf & thyme & sweat for 5 mins
    Place the whole chicken on top & add the stock (top up with more stock or water if needed until the chicken is almost covered)
    Bring to the boil & then simmer for an hour & a quarter
    Serve with boiled or steamed spuds (if you have enough space in the pot you could pop your spuds in there to cook)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could spatchcock it, throw this on and roast for an hour and a half:

Half a bottle of plum sauce
    A tablespoon of honey
    A heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
    A tablespoon of soy sauce
    A teaspoon of sunflower oil.

Advertisement