Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for extension

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The house we're interested in we think has no planning permission for the kitchen or bathroom extension. They were built in the mid 80s. What happens? Do the vendors have to apply retrospectively or can it be sold without it? Would the bank insist on it being demolished before issuing a loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭romperstomper

irrelevant for 2 reasons. 1) most likely less that 35sqm, therefore you don't need planning. 2) after 7 years
    of being built, it can stay there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

intrigued why you "think" it doesnt have planning permission.

How can you think ? Its pretty clear cut you have either checked or you haven't. If you haven't checked you dont know. If you have checked you do.

and as pointed out if over 7 years or smaller than 35sqm its irrelevent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

D3PO wrote: »
    intrigued why you "think" it doesnt have planning permission.

How can you think ? Its pretty clear cut you have either checked or you haven't. If you haven't checked you dont know. If you have checked you do.

and as pointed out if over 7 years or smaller than 35sqm its irrelevent

Because its the house next door to me! When we were getting our extension built the neighbour was intrigued when we had the planning notice in the garden and said that we didn't need to bother with that! Obviously I haven't checked with the family!

Because its the house next door to me! When we were getting our extension built the neighbour was intrigued when we had the planning notice in the garden and said that we didn't need to bother with that! Obviously I haven't checked with the family!

reasonable explaination. Now Im intrigued as to why you would be buying the house next door. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

D3PO wrote: »
    reasonable explaination. Now Im intrigued as to why you would be buying the house next door. :D:D:D

Because my mother and I live next door and my partner wants to move to the area. This would be the perfect opportunity for us. My mother is elderly and I would be her main carer. No mother-in-law jokes, they get on very well together! ;)

• Advertisement

. No mother-in-law jokes, they get on very well together! ;)

ah come on its lined up for em !! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Hi,

The house we're interested in we think has no planning permission for the kitchen or bathroom extension. They were built in the mid 80s. What happens? Do the vendors have to apply retrospectively or can it be sold without it? Would the bank insist on it being demolished before issuing a loan?

It might be an exempt development. The bank will want a certificate from an engineer that it is an exempt development.
    An application can be made for retention.
    The bank might also accept an opinion from a barrister, together with a sworn affidavit from a competent witness, showing that the extension has been there for at least 7 years and that the time for enforcement proceedings has elapsed.
    Those are the three possibilities. From you point of view retention would be best as the matter would be beyond doubt for all time.

Advertisement