Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange problem with BMW 318

• 01-06-2010 10:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Ive an e46 318. The last week or so ive had a problem with it. When i was in 2nd gear the car could chug and stutter until i changed gear, i could live with that but over the last few days its spread to every gear. It lasts for 5-10 minutes after ive started driving the car in all gears.

Anybody any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

sounds (to a relative novice) like the gearbox may be on the way out. I'd be getting that looked at asap if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

could be a temprature sensor on the way out if its only happening when the car has a cold engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Get it hooked up to a diagnostics scanner and it should give you an idea. Could it be the MAF perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It sounds like its miss-firing. It could be the MAF, but it could also be a Vac leak or thecrank case breather might be gone. All are known E46 issues.

You could try plug out the MAF and see if its any different, but that's rather crude as it could just mask another problem as the engine will default to running rich. The other problem with plugging out the MAF is as soon as you bring it to someone, they'll get the code for a MAF error and want to replace it, even if its fine.

If you mention where you are someone should be able to recomend a garrage to bring it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Hi Mel,

I had a similer issue with mine about 18 months ago.

Chugged along until engine warmed up for a few days. Then one day it just chugged all the way from Limerick to Shannon. Brought it to Tony's Autos in Smithstown. Turned out to be a injector coil. Not too costly to fix.

But don't leave it too long before you get it looked at, could cause more damage.

• Advertisement

Doubt its the box, ignition or throttle me thinks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start by cleaning throttle body (doesn't really cost anything except for the spray), I did a write up here (you may need access to Motor Help forum).
    Then take it for a spin, see if that fixes it.

Advertisement