Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get GPS to work on Nokia E71, help appreciated

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got an E71, freebie, 2nd hand, restored to factory settings.

I've downloaded Ovi Maps, installed Ovi Suite, installed PC Suite, downloaded Maps and Voice Guidance for Ireland and UK which transferred to phone etc etc.

But when I choose 'My Position' for example, i just get 'Waiting for GPS' and nothing else. Stood outside beside a colleaguse who got GPS signal on their phone no problem but nothing on mine.

I can search the maps and find places but no GPS recognition of where I am.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

try your settings to see if you also have assisted gps on which will let ur phone connect to the net to help the gps chip pick up ur location. Sometimes it takes a while without assisted

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Some models take an age before they are able to find your location, give it a bit more time. Have a look through your settings and see if there is anything missing/set wrong also.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Thanks for the replies. I have Assisted GPS and Integrated GPS chosen and can connect to WiFi in work. But still no joy.

Just found in Menu... Access Point - Default Access point.

It's set to None at the moment.

Other options are '02 Internet', '02 MMS', '02 WAP'. I'm on pay as you go so don't really want to use Internet outside of WiFi. Do I need to change this setting?

I thought the GPS would work independently of any of this?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Thanks for the replies. I have Assisted GPS and Integrated GPS chosen and can connect to WiFi in work. But still no joy.

Just found in Menu... Access Point - Default Access point.

It's set to None at the moment.

Other options are '02 Internet', '02 MMS', '02 WAP'. I'm on pay as you go so don't really want to use Internet outside of WiFi. Do I need to change this setting?

I thought the GPS would work independently of any of this?

Thanks again.

I use my E71 with assisted GPS while in Ireland using the Three network.

But I'm on holidays in Malyasia at the moment and have no internet connection. It takes a while to find my connection. At least thirty seconds but some times a few minutes and usually it seems I need to be stationary. I usually just get a coffee and wait for the GPS signal to get iteslf sorted. Once located, it works superbly. I have rented a scooter and the Nokia maps have been invaluable. They have sent me down little country roads for shortcuts and all. Really really impressed. Although it takes an age to lock on, it always stays locked on after that - i thought it might not be accurate but have been pleasantly surprised.

So my advise to you is to not bother with the assisted gps if you want to save cash, cos it will eventually lock on. But if you're in a hurry, I would use the assisted gps (either O2 Internet or your WiFi connection if in Wifi zone).

Advertisement