Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carboot sale tonight

• 01-06-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I couldn't find the original thread (I did try) - but just as a reminder. There is a bike bits carboot sale on at the Blue Light pub this evening from 7-9. Mostly MTB but hopefully road etc... too.

I'll be there and I'll have a bunch of bits. More details, map etc... here: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2010/05/biking-car-boot-sale-june-1st.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

was gonna go up looking for road parts. is there any point as im northside, its quite the trek! or is it just mtb. is it on every few months or annually? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

This is the first time that this is being run so I have no idea what will crop up (other than what I have - with regards to road, bar, stems, kenda tires)

Could be tons of stuff, could be just a few cars. Hopefully tons, and a nice social afterwards in the Blue Light :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

Lads..would you not pass on ur old and used parts to the hard up and aspiring underage in your clubs instead of being so tight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Michelin wrote: »
    Lads..would you not pass on ur old and used parts to the hard up and aspiring underage in your clubs instead of being so tight!

I think thats a bit short sighted and insulting.

Bike parts are expensive and often the sale of parts helps fund other purchases + in some cases the so called hard up and aspiring may not be deserving of random charity. I have recently passed on a number of parts and accessories to someone I felt was deserving of them, but I'd be reluctant to pass on valuable parts to a randomer who may or may not be grateful or deserving. There is a recession FFS, second hand items still have value.

By your line of thinking shops and businesses should also give away free parts to young aspiring cyclists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think thats a bit short sighted and insulting.

I'm sure no-one would mind if Michelin popped along, bought up all the gear and gave it away to the needy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

BTW, what's wrong with offering your spare parts to other aspiring cyclists at reasonable prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Any ideas what type of stuff will sold,I'm looking for a new seat post,wonder would they have anything??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Most of these street urchin cyclists still seem to have very nice kit, I don't think they need a charity drive just yet.

I'll not go too ranty, but I spend everything (time, money and passion) on cycling. Everything goes into it, 100% - I have some stuff that I don't need that I sell in order to get to the next race or buy the part that I do need. In the RAS, my bike crash (caused by another rider) caused around €3,500 of damage - let me just say that my prize winnings does not cover that!

If you are rolling in cash, fair enough, but the people who run carboot sales seldom look like they are rollling in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have tonnes of stuff but no way to bring it. I am afraid to head for fear I get ride of nothing and come back with a host of stuff.
    But sounds like a great idea.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Most of these street urchin cyclists still seem to have very nice kit, I don't think they need a charity drive just yet.

Good point - I have not seen many 'poor' young cyclists riding kit worse than kit that Mel or I have won on.

Up Three Rock on a Saturday, the kids are on bikes many times more blingy than my training bike.

Any ideas what type of stuff will sold,I'm looking for a new seat post,wonder would they have anything??.

What size? 27.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

What size? 27.2?
    its a 31.6..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

I'll not go too ranty, but I spend everything (time, money and passion) on cycling. Everything goes into it, 100% - I have some stuff that I don't need that I sell in order to get to the next race or buy the part that I do need. In the RAS, my bike crash (caused by another rider) caused around €3,500 of damage - let me just say that my prize winnings does not cover that!

If you are rolling in cash, fair enough, but the people who run carboot sales seldom look like they are rollling in cash.

by any chance was that a cervelo r3 frame? i know the mechanic if it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I'll be bringing along the following....

Endura Superlite Waterproof and seamed Rain Jacket. Red. Again XXL. Brand new. Worn once. €50 and it's yours! (see below, this model is the Orange colour, mine is red)

FSA OS-115 White Stem 2009 OE (100mm). +- 6 Deg. Wrong length for me. Brand new € 70.
    Link:http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/fsa-175-3349-med.jpg

BONTRAGER XXX LITE Carbon stem (120mm)+- 12 Deg. As new. € 90.

2 Lightweight BBB bottle cages. €6 each.

BONTRAGER XXX LITE Carbon seat post. €50.

Selle San Marco Gel Saddle. €20.

All Negotiable on da night!!!!:cool::D;)

[IMG]file:///Users/ckeego/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

I've got a hallway full of stuff for this. LOTS of tires (€5 to €20, used to new, mtb + road), bars (mtb+road), stems, Ergon backpacks, grips, new Sidi road shoes, new rain jackets, saddles, jerseys, cranksets (new LX, no big ring) lots of stuff.

The seatposts I have a 30.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I've got a hallway full of stuff for this. LOTS of tires (€5 to €20, used to new, mtb + road), bars (mtb+road), stems, Ergon backpacks, grips, new Sidi road shoes, new rain jackets, saddles, jerseys, cranksets (new LX, no big ring) lots of stuff.

Not sure how this works ... and if you want to trade outside of tonight ... can't make the sale as I am stuck in work.

But do you have any schwalbe marathon or something similar bigger than 700x30 but no more than 700x40 ... I will take them off your hands this week (friday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

what size are the shoes?

ipodrocker wrote: »
    what size are the shoes?

Brand new Sidi Zephyr Carbon (black) in 44.5 (road) €75

so did anyone go and check the carboot sale?

• Advertisement

The carboot sale was great - didn't know what to expect the first time around but there were lots there and I sold a bunch of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Did you sell the shoes? A lot of MTB rs there. Some more road stuff the next time!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe we should try and sort one out for northside next - I have a garage full of stuff I would never get round to doing something about otherwise.

was there much road stuff for sale?

ckeego wrote: »
    Did you sell the shoes? A lot of MTB rs there. Some more road stuff the next time!

Road shoes are still here.

If people want more road stuff there, they have to take more road stuff - each of us, have what we have for sale. Roadie folk just need to turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe we should try and sort one out for northside next - I have a garage full of stuff I would never get round to doing something about otherwise.

Maybe worth thinking about trying to co-ordinate it for after an open race/sportive? Would be great for the those racing and might get a few spectators out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Beasty wrote: »

was thinking the very same thing myself. I am sure there are a few of you who have tons of stuff just hanging around. I know the owner of the Man'O'War pub which has a huge car park out the back I can have a word if it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I suggest go for it. Might need a new thread??

Advertisement