Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essential Gear?

• 01-06-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Ok so went for my first cycle over 7k at the weekend. Did 50k around Dublin. Thing is I was wearing a pair of runners, tracksuit pants, t-shirt, rain jacket, beanie and a pair of leather gloves. Obviously not optimal cycle gear!

Was just wondering what the essentials to bring out on the road are and cheapest place to get them? Would you bring spare tube, pump, puncture repair kit etc? Never changed anything or patched anything up as yet.

I'm sure this kind of thing has been asked before but couldn't find anything in the first few pages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

padded cycling shorts is a must - save tearing yourself a new one. www.wiggle.co.uk or www.chainreactions.com are both good for cycling gear that isnt going to break the bank.

Definately buy yourself a small saddle bag, with enough space for levers, spare tube. Then carry either a mini-pump or Co2 canister.

Ok so went for my first cycle over 7k at the weekend. Did 50k around Dublin. Thing is I was wearing a pair of runners, tracksuit pants, t-shirt, rain jacket, beanie and a pair of leather gloves. Obviously not optimal cycle gear!

Was just wondering what the essentials to bring out on the road are and cheapest place to get them? Would you bring spare tube, pump, puncture repair kit etc? Never changed anything or patched anything up as yet.

I'm sure this kind of thing has been asked before but couldn't find anything in the first few pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks. Would you have an idea of what size or type tubes to get. My bike is the same model as here

Would something like this do as a pump?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This is what I carry on every trip: Left pocket: Mobile phone and cycling cap middle pocket: pump and tube, right pocket: money, bank card, Tyre levers, multi-tool.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

This is what I carry on every trip: Left pocket: Mobile phone and cycling cap middle pocket: pump and tube, right pocket: money, bank card, Tyre levers, multi-tool.

Would you not wear the cap on your head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

yep, that pump would do you fine. tube wise, your running 700x25 tyres at the moment so when you buy just make sure your getting the right size. If your not sure maybe just pick these up from your local bike shop...might cost you an extra euro each or so compared to online prices but you will know you have the right tubes.

Thanks. Would you have an idea of what size or type tubes to get. My bike is the same model as here

Would something like this do as a pump?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Morgan wrote: »
    Would you not wear the cap on your head?

No, it only comes on when it rains.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

If you are going away from civilisation or heading out very early in the morning, bring something to drink. In that case, a bottle cage and bottle would be on your shopping list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

IMO its a good idea while your at home to change a tyre/tube with just the tools you bring with you. That will show you what you need. When you've done it once, it will help a lot when you do it out on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

anoble66 wrote: »
    carry either a mini-pump or Co2 canister.

I always carry a pump as backup to the CO2. Two canisters and no pump will get you through two punctures. Any more and you walk home...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seanhunt

why would you waste a canister if you have a pump?

a bottle, a drink, a tube, a small pump, a tire lever, a few patches, some rubber glue and some money for a two hour spin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seanhunt wrote: »
    why would you waste a canister if you have a pump?

Why would you waste time and energy on a pump when you have a canister?

They cost less than 60c each.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seanhunt

ha ha, good point. where can I get a canister for 60cents? Mine cost me a tenner for two

here. You missed out on this one but buying a box of 30 from the supplier there should cost you about €30 (€1 each). Two boxes brings the price down to about 80c.

You also get better pressure out of a cartridge. Pretty hard to get 100psi with a hand pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I always carry a pump as backup to the CO2. Two canisters and no pump will get you through two punctures. Any more and you walk home...
    Has happened me before, therefore a puncture repair kit is a good idea too, then you can get through any number of punctures. (although i always go for new tube first and worry about repairing old one later or alternatively as is usually the case i just buy a new tube)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Or just carry a frame pump? Always on your bike and never left on the kitchen table......100 PSI easy

@ OP

Essentials:

Good quality padded shorts
    Jersey with back pockets
    Helmet
    Water bottle
    Spare Tube
    Tyre Levers (Pedros are unbreakable)
    Spare Patches (Park Tools - Instant)
    Pump
    Some food
    Money
    Phone

Optional (depending on the weather):

Small Pack-Away Rain Jacket
    Baselayer
    Arm Warmers
    Leg Warmers
    Tights
    Gloves - Winter and Summer
    Overshoes
    Windproof Gilet
    Sunglasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A lock if you are planning to get off the bike. Lidl jellys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

chakattack wrote: »
    Or just carry a frame pump? Always on your bike and never left on the kitchen table......100 PSI easy

@ OP

Essentials:

Jersey with back pockets
    Helmet
    Water bottle
    Spare Tube
    Pump
    Some food
    Money
    Phone

Baselayer
    Arm Warmers
    Leg Warmers
    Tights
    Overshoes
    Windproof Gilet
    Sunglasses

nice list (dont forget 2 of clothes in case ones in the wash !

as to frame fit pumps where does my 2nd bottle cage go ?

here. You missed out on this one but buying a box of 30 from the supplier there should cost you about €30 (€1 each). Two boxes brings the price down to about 80c.

You also get better pressure out of a cartridge. Pretty hard to get 100psi with a hand pump.

Having read the thread but never used or even held a cartridge before can i ask you, are they handy enough to use (i.e get onto the valve)? also judging by the thread im looking at getting threaded ones for a road bike. and are they designed to fill to exactly 100psi or can you control how much you fill it? (i.e did you get a sks air gun and how do you find it?)

thanks

ps. sick of hand pumps, they are useless

2 * Spare Tube

Good list but fixed that for you, 2nd punctures are common, best not to spend 5-10mins at side of a road patching tube

I have a specialized bottle cage that has a mount for a pump. There's no problem fitting a second bottle cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I have this type of pump and fits with 2nd bottle cage and is a great pump, also carry C02 carrtridges but mostly use the pump as I am hevery in too much of a hurry (keep the cartridges for radce situations)

I have a specialized bottle cage that has a mount for a pump. There's no problem fitting a second bottle cage.

Not all frames have mounting for a 2nd bottle. My MTB doesn't.

...You also get better pressure out of a cartridge. Pretty hard to get 100psi with a hand pump.

Depends on the pump I think. Theres a lot of dire pumps around.

How do ye know what pressure you have? I assume with a canister is easy to over inflate the tyre. Do your pumps/canisters have a gauge?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    im looking at getting threaded ones for a road bike. and are they designed to fill to exactly 100psi or can you control how much you fill it? (i.e did you get a sks air gun and how do you find it?)
    BostonB wrote: »
    How do ye know what pressure you have? I assume with a canister is easy to over inflate the tyre. Do your pumps/canisters have a gauge?

The canister is just that. A steel bottle containing compressed CO2 gas. You need some kind of inflator to use the canister. Cansiters come in various sizes. A 16oz (450g) canister contains enough CO2 to inflate a 700x23c tyre to about 130psi. It will inflate my 700x28c tyre to about 100psi and will do an MTB tyre to about 50psi. You won't over-inflate a fully empty tyre.

The most basic inflator is just a screw-in point for the canister and a valve end for the valve. You screw in the canister until it punctures. Then you press the inflator onto the valve. Gas will only be released when you press the inflator. That's the type I use.

Other more fancy types might have a pressure gauge or you can get a combined pump and inflator.

One thing to be aware of is the canisters get extremely cold in use. You need hand protection or you'll get freeze burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Putting together the bits and pieces i'm going to get on chain reaction. Just about the tubes again. Would this one be ok and whats the difference in the 60mm and 48mm. Presume 60mm is going to be stronger?

I have a canister. I carry a pump as a backup. I just never knew how you'd know you can't over inflate it. I have one for the kids buggy too.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Putting together the bits and pieces i'm going to get on chain reaction. Just about the tubes again. Would this one be ok and whats the difference in the 60mm and 48mm. Presume 60mm is going to be stronger?

60mm or 48mm is the length of the valve from the rim. Doesn't matter unless you have very fancy deep wheels.

Check the sidewall of your tyre, probably 700 x 23c or 700 x 25c. If it's 23 any of those tubes will be fine, otherwise 23-25.

Make sure you practice changing a tube at home (videos of youtube) to prevent you messing it up and getting a second puncture from a pinched tube out on the road.

nice list (dont forget 2 of clothes in case ones in the wash !

Pump under top tube leaving 2 cages free.

Not all frames have mounting for a 2nd bottle. My MTB doesn't.

But in that case the presence or absence of a pump isn't really the issue;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

@ OP

Essentials:

Jersey with back pockets
    Helmet
    Water bottle
    Spare Tube
    Pump
    Some food
    Money
    Phone

Baselayer
    Arm Warmers
    Leg Warmers
    Tights
    Overshoes
    Windproof Gilet
    Sunglasses

good list as its something similar to the list im making for my purchase next month :)

the super patches are awesome fixed a puncture the other day in like 5mins was great not to have to wait for glue to dry etc...

one other thing if you have is to added a pair of shoes to the list. I am looking at shoes at the moment and deciding to get a road shoe spd or mtb spd shoe.

But in that case the presence or absence of a pump isn't really the issue;)

Not sure what your point was about the 2nd cage then. :confused:

A lot of pumps have a bracket that fits to the existing bottle cage. I throw mine in the pannier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

My mini pumps holder fits onto the same bracket as the bottle cage but sits slightly to the left as you look down on it from above so that the cage can still go on over the holder and both the pump and bottle can fit without them interfering with each other.

Not sure what your point was about the 2nd cage then. :confused:

edwnireland asked:

I told him that you can get a bottle cage that has a clip for a pump (so you don't need to use your seat tube or whatever to mount your pump, thereby taking up space that could be used for a second bottle cage).

Then you said that not all bikes have mounts for a second bottle cage, to which I replied that the pump taking up space is hardly the issue then.

The original question was about a second bottle cage - I didn't bring it up. Is that not clear enough?

Advertisement