Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shari'a law

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The traditional law, was about people leaving Islam, and then taking up arms against the state, which is basically treason at that point. Seeing, as the man has not taken up arms against the state, he should not be murdered. Now, that is the Ottoman version of the law btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

wes wrote: »
    The traditional law, was about people leaving Islam, and then taking up arms against the state, which is basically treason at that point. Seeing, as the man has not taken up arms against the state, he should not be murdered. Now, that is the Ottoman version of the law btw.

So if he fights against the state then you would be in favor of killing him ?

I have heard a similar argument but it also includes someone who leaves Islam and actively speaks out to discredit Islam and encourage others to leave. Do you think the Ottoman version could include this ?

DinoBot wrote: »
    So if he fights against the state then you would be in favor of killing him ?

Executing (or life in prison) someone for treason is pretty common, in most countries in the world. I fail to see why that would be an issue.
    I have heard a similar argument but it also includes someone who leaves Islam and actively speaks out to discredit Islam and encourage others to leave. Do you think the Ottoman version could include this ?

No, it was about taking up arms against the state, as I stated earlier. Clearly you are fishing for a different answer, but I have already stated my opinion very clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Then the London Bombers could be executed for Treason, under Shari'a.

wes wrote: »
    Executing (or life in prison) someone for treason is pretty common, in most countries in the world. I fail to see why that would be an issue.

No, it was about taking up arms against the state, as I stated earlier. Clearly you are fishing for a different answer, but I have already stated my opinion very clearly.

No not fishing :) thanks!

• Advertisement

Then the London Bombers could be executed for Treason, under Shari'a.

Yeah they could. They killed innocent people and could be executed if found guilty, but the UK has no death penalty, and those guys are already dead and you can't kill a dead man.

No not fishing :) thanks!

Sorry about that, paranoia runs the family.

Just to add the treatment of the guy in your link is IMHO wrong. There should never be compulsion in Religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

http://freethinker.co.uk/2010/06/01/death-threats-against-man-who-renounced-islam-at-a-naik-lecture-in-the-maldives/

Looking for Muslim only reply please.

What is the view of Irish living/born Muslims on this aspect on Shari'a law. I would especially like to hear from the "reverts" on this one. Should this man be put to death ?
    Was this a consideration when you converted to Islam ?
    Or did you not really consider it? , as the chance of it being carried out on you in a secular country makes it safe to convert.

The following line makes me disregard anything in the article:
    lunatic Islamic hate-preacher Dr Zakir Naik

Zakir Naik is anything but a hate-preacher. Do you have any other sources for this article which are more reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

There's an update on this story (from the original source) here. Apparently, the man accused of apostasy has "reverted to Islam".

The original story and the update seem to be derived from the news service Haveeru Online in the Maldives - see report here.

As DinoBot specifically requested Muslim-only replies, I won't comment on the substantive issue of apostasy and Sharia Law. However, I gave some views on the issue (in response to an earlier DinoBot post) in the thread "To Convert or Not to Convert?" in January 2009.

hivizman wrote: »
    There's an update on this story (from the original source) here. Apparently, the man accused of apostasy has "reverted to Islam".

The original story and the update seem to be derived from the news service Haveeru Online in the Maldives - see report here.

As DinoBot specifically requested Muslim-only replies, I won't comment on the substantive issue of apostasy and Sharia Law. However, I gave some views on the issue (in response to an earlier DinoBot post) in the thread "To Convert or Not to Convert?" in January 2009.

I think I would also "revert to Islam" if the threat of death was on me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement