Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flamethrowers ?

• 01-06-2010 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine ( ex PDF ) says that Flamethrowers are now banned by international convention - is this really the case ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons allows the use of incendiaries, including flamethrowers, against combatants with the proviso that air-launched incendiaries are not used against military targets in civilian areas. That said, I don't think there are any air-launched flamethrowers (interesting weapon!), that provision is for weapons such as napalm (now used under a new name) and white phosporous (non-smoke rounds)

Incendiary weapons

Incendiary weapons are those that are primarily designed to set fire to objects or to burn persons through the action of flame or heat, such as napalm and flame throwers (Art. 1).

It is prohibited in all circumstances to use them against civilians. It is also prohibited to make any military objective located within a concentration of civilians the object of attack by air-delivered incendiary weapons.

Finally, it is prohibited to make forests or other kinds of plant cover the object of attack by incendiary weapons unless they are being used to conceal combatants or other military objectives .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

concussion wrote: »
    The 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons allows the use of incendiaries, including flamethrowers, against combatants with the proviso that air-launched incendiaries are not used against military targets in civilian areas. That said, I don't think there are any air-launched flamethrowers (interesting weapon!), that provision is for weapons such as napalm (now used under a new name) and white phosporous (non-smoke rounds)
    Interesting. I remember watching a programme on Discovery about tanks and it showed one the British used called a Churchill Crocidle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_Crocodile.

Anyway one of the crew of the tank told how if a tank was somehow captured, the enemy understandably regarded it as such a cruel and horrible weapon ( I'm sure the Germans had their varation of it also ) that the crew could expect nothing else but a horrible death.

I see white phosphorus is rightfully banned. Naturally that didn't strop the Zio nazi's from using it.

" The Israeli army used white phosphorus, a weapon with a highly incendiary effect, in densely populated civilian residential areas of Gaza City, according to indisputable evidence "
    http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/israeli-armys-use-white-phosphorus-gaza-clear-undeniable-20090119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's not banned, but its use is controlled. It's legitimate to use it for the purposes of producing smoke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's legitimate to use it for the purposes of producing smoke.

And for killing people and for setting things on fire.

The main reason that flamethrowers are generally out of service is that they have been replaced by more effective munitions. Fuel-Air Explosives will do just as good a job of rooting people out of cover as flamethrowers, and you don't need to get anywhere near as close to do it. Not the same psychological value, granted, but if they're dead, who cares?

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yep additionally thermobaric weapons are used particularly in Russian service http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl46-e.htm while the US in Afghanistan has reportedly used M202a1 rocket launchers which will be familiar to anyone who has seen commando
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M202A1_FLASH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have a friend whose father was a flamethrower operator during Operation Market Garden in 1944 - he was warned that if captured he was history so he was advised to make sure he ditched his set if capture was imminent - otherwise bullet in the head time :eek:

Advertisement