Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting "presents" your cat has brought home!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If she's in heat and you're letting her out, she'll get pregnant. If you're happy to have her spayed as soon as this heat is over, make the appointment and get it done. Otherwise she'll have a litter of kittens - it can stunt her growth if she's young, plus she may suffer complications in pregnancy and birth which will be very expensive to fix at the vet, plus then you'll have to find homes for the kittens or, if you're keeping them, pay for all their spaying and vaccinations too.

Additionally if she's attracting a lot of attention from toms, being in heat, she can be bitten or scratched during mating, and the bites especially expose her to the risk of feline AIDs and feline leukaemia.

Some vets won't spay a pregnant cat, so it's important to make the appointment now, for maybe a week's time when the heat is over, and consider keeping her in - it'll only be for a few days. A heat doesn't last that long, just a few days and she'll cycle out of heat again, but she'll cycle back into heat as quickly as two weeks later.

/edit to add I did see that you said you'd have her spayed asap, but just beware of some vets who won't do it if the cat is pregnant - hence make the appointment now for next week so you get around both the problem of her having another heat, plus the possibility of kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Mice, rabbits and birds.
    I was putting my foot in my boot one morning and there in the toe was a grown frog looking up at me. I let it out and it went on its merry way. I got a bit of a fright!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

morganafay wrote: »
    I don't think people are being flippant exactly, just that they accept that it's a cats' natural instinct and will sometimes happen. Death is natural, and predators are natural.

I know what you mean, but I really don't like if my cats kill animals. They very rarely do (only 2 of the 5 do, and only maybe a mouse or small bird every few months) and I'd prefer if they didn't, but they are just doing what's natural to them. They're not killing them for fun, well they don't know what they are doing really, it's instinct. Maybe they have to keep their hunting skills sharp in case they are ever left to fend for themselves. I really think cats don't trust that you'll keep looking after them, the same way dogs seem to.

I also think that killing birds is no worse than killing mice and rats (just my opinion). Also cats eat meat, whether it's beef or chicken or wild birds. And those could have been the slower or sickly birds that they caught. And even if they don't eat it, well something will, like flies or something, so it's not exactly going to waste. (Flies are important too.)

I definitely understand what you mean, but it's easier to say to keep a cat in than it is to do it.

Oh and there are already a few threads about cats killing birds, so maybe it'd be best to discuss it there, because when loads of people start arguing about it, it gets really annoying. What you said was pretty respectful and a good point, but some people get really immature in these threads.

Hi yep i hear you thanks for a nice reply! It just seems like a lot of bragging is going on about the trophys that cats are bringing home. They are predators but not a natural one in our eco-system. I have friends who have cats and when this behaviour starts they are then kept in. If you carn't keep a cat in doors then you should question weather you should have one at all?

Im not here to start an argument, i would like to hear what else people have done to curb there cats behavior? I like cats but there is no way i could cope with one bringing dead/live vermin in the house for me to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

If she's in heat and you're letting her out, she'll get pregnant. If you're happy to have her spayed as soon as this heat is over, make the appointment and get it done. Otherwise she'll have a litter of kittens - it can stunt her growth if she's young, plus she may suffer complications in pregnancy and birth which will be very expensive to fix at the vet, plus then you'll have to find homes for the kittens or, if you're keeping them, pay for all their spaying and vaccinations too.

Additionally if she's attracting a lot of attention from toms, being in heat, she can be bitten or scratched during mating, and the bites especially expose her to the risk of feline AIDs and feline leukaemia.

Some vets won't spay a pregnant cat, so it's important to make the appointment now, for maybe a week's time when the heat is over, and consider keeping her in - it'll only be for a few days. A heat doesn't last that long, just a few days and she'll cycle out of heat again, but she'll cycle back into heat as quickly as two weeks later.

/edit to add I did see that you said you'd have her spayed asap, but just beware of some vets who won't do it if the cat is pregnant - hence make the appointment now for next week so you get around both the problem of her having another heat, plus the possibility of kittens.

Yeah I'll be booking the appointment today for as soon as possible because she seems to have calmed down now anyway.
    If she is pregnant though I know people who are looking for kittens at the mo so hopefully it'll all turn out for the best!
    Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

It just seems like a lot of bragging is going on about the trophys that cats are bringing home. They are predators but not a natural one in our eco-system.

If you carn't keep a cat in doors then you should question weather you should have one at all?

Im not here to start an argument, i would like to hear what else people have done to curb there cats behavior? I like cats but there is no way i could cope with one bringing dead/live vermin in the house for me to find.

OP here. I grew up in a family where the cats came and went as they pleased. I waited until I had a house as opposed to an apartment to allow the kittens have some freedom. The vet explained that as a small kitten, if the cat made a great escape every time the door opened, or sat by the door crying, they would want to be outdoor cats. Both our cats made it clear from the start that they like playing in the garden. They only go out for an hour or two a day. I don't think it would be fair to keep them in against their will. I also don't have the space to fill the house with big scratching posts and climbing frames. Cats have this naturally outside. I also think that it is in their natural make up to hunt. Even though they aren't living in the wild, it's still their natural instinct. I don't think I should keep them imprisoned in the house because I feel uncomfortable when they bring something home! It's natural. I also don't know how it would be possible to keep a cat indoors all the time. Even if they are indoors at the time, once a window opens, they make a run for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you keep cats in at dawn and dusk, put bells on them, and keep them well fed you can minimize the hunting. I also keep mine in at night and when they do go out I call them back in after about 10 mins so they're not usually out long. One of mine is bright orange and despite his best stalking efforts never gets near birds, he also never leaves my garden, he's too lazy. My other cat is a rescue and obviously spent most of his life outside before we got him, but he is getting better at coming in when called. He is the hunter and gets mice and rats occasionally, but no birds so far. As for the washing up sponges, hair scrunchies and (once only) lacy undies, well I don't think they're species in decline.:D
    And I do take this seriously, and have tried to cat proof my garden, and keep them in as much as possible. I love watching birds in the garden and hate to see them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

convert wrote: »
    We had a cat a few years back who used to leave us presents on the doorstep every so often. However, we had a French girl (who lived in a city) who came to stay with us for two weeks as part of an exchange and he really seemed to take a shine to her as pretty much every day we received a present on the back doorstep. And it varied, too. For the first few days we received mice. Then we received a rat, well, the head and tail of a rat, and then for the remainder of the time we received rabbits. For about 4 days we received baby bunnies, and on the last day he obviously caught the mother as we were gifted the head and hind legs of a fully grown rabbit. Needless to say our French girl was not impressed with her gifts. Poor cat, he had gone to such effort for her (we never received that many gifts in such a short space of time again, nor did we receive a rabbit, either!!) :pac:
    I think two possibilities.

She was new and had to be impressed

She was new, so had to be taught how to hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Hi yep i hear you thanks for a nice reply! It just seems like a lot of bragging is going on about the trophys that cats are bringing home. They are predators but not a natural one in our eco-system. I have friends who have cats and when this behaviour starts they are then kept in. If you carn't keep a cat in doors then you should question weather you should have one at all?

Oh I'm definitely not bragging. I was more just saying what a surprise it was for them to catch unusual animals or how horrible it was to find dead rats, etc. I don't like them killing animals at all, but I don't mind it too much since I believe it is natural to hunt. (I really don't like animals being killed, I don't even eat meat, but think cats have to eat meat).

I definitely understand what you mean, but I think it's right to leave cats outdoors (if it is safe for the cat to do that) and I wouldn't like to keep them in. They're happier and healthier outdoors, like nearly all animals. There have been a few arguments about this on here, but I just know that for me it feels right to let them outside.

I know they're not natural predators in this environment, but I really don't think they harm the eco-system that much. Surely a lot more birds are killed by things like cars, pollution, people, etc. And I think cats probably only kill a small percentage. Maybe I'm wrong, I just can't imagine that they are destroying the wild life population.

I did have a problem that one of my cats was killing a dove everyday (my neighbours doves that were left fly around) so I put a bell on her and she stopped. After a while I took the bell off and she didn't start killing them again.

Lillylilly wrote: »
    OP here. I grew up in a family where the cats came and went as they pleased. I waited until I had a house as opposed to an apartment to allow the kittens have some freedom. The vet explained that as a small kitten, if the cat made a great escape every time the door opened, or sat by the door crying, they would want to be outdoor cats. Both our cats made it clear from the start that they like playing in the garden. They only go out for an hour or two a day. I don't think it would be fair to keep them in against their will. I also don't have the space to fill the house with big scratching posts and climbing frames. Cats have this naturally outside. I also think that it is in their natural make up to hunt. Even though they aren't living in the wild, it's still their natural instinct. I don't think I should keep them imprisoned in the house because I feel uncomfortable when they bring something home! It's natural. I also don't know how it would be possible to keep a cat indoors all the time. Even if they are indoors at the time, once a window opens, they make a run for it!!

I definitely agree with this. I'm sure some cats are fine indoors, but I had an indoor cat (I lived in Dublin for a few years) and he was miserable, even though he had never known the outdoors. He was incredibly hyper and badly behaved, and would do bold things that he knew he wasn't meant to, just to get attention. He was a lovely cat, but wasn't very happy. And when I brought him home for a visit to the countryside, he'd sit on the windowsill looking out at the other cats and so badly wanted to be outside. He used to run out the door and jump out windows, even going out an upstairs window.

Then I moved back home and even though I was worried about him adjusting to the outdoors, I decided it was in his best interests to go outdoors for part of the day. And it completely changed him. He became less hyper straight away, was really calm. He was always a lovely friendly cat, but my parents thought he wasn't because he was hyper and would play attack people. But once he was outdoors they agreed he was really friendly. He was just so happy to be outside.

But then I have other cats who love to be inside all day and would only go outside to use the toilet if it was their choice! But I make them stay out on nice days, because it's good for them. 2 of my cats are nervous inside though, and feel trapped and want to get out.

So I've seen myself how some cats just are not happy inside, no matter what you do. I know that they kill some wildlife, but I think the cat's welfare is more important than that. I really believe the same with dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, etc. they should be left outside for part of the day, if you have a garden that's safe for them. Pets should be given the most natural environment you can.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    If you keep cats in at dawn and dusk, put bells on them, and keep them well fed you can minimize the hunting.

Yeah that's a good idea. :)

Mine always have food available, and they rarely hunt. One is too old to, one is blind in one eye so has never hunted, one is just a kitten and the other two hunt a little, but like I said, only maybe one small bird or mouse a month. It's unfortunate, but I accept it as part of having cats.

When I have my own house then the cats will be in for most of the time anyway, but with the choice to go out during the day . . . and since cats love comfort, I imagine they'll spend most of their day curled up on the couch. :) But I think I would let them make the choice.

Or I might try to have a cat-proof fence, or some large enclosure for them to go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My cat'snever actually caught & brought home anything.

She will catch spiders who crawl across the kitchen floor. She tends to nose-butt them, killing them & then eats them. It's really gross to watch as she keepts chewing the spider up & spitting it out & chewing it again. Sometimes she just leaves a heap of spider legs & spit for me.

Oh yeah, my cats attack daddy long legseseses on the windows and they lose a few legs and are still alive with only 3 or 4 legs, poor guys. They seem to be fine though.

And I once saw my cat swallow a butterfly, that was kinda disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I brag about my cats hunting skills because I live in a rental infested with mice and rats. My cats are fantastic, they kill at least two mice a night, AND they enjoy eating them. I'm not happy when they kill a bird, and do everything I can to prevent that. It happens, but the mice way outnumber the birds. I'm really proud of them for doing such a good job :D

Oh yeah, my cats attack daddy long legseseses on the windows and they lose a few legs and are still alive with only 3 or 4 legs, poor guys. They seem to be fine though.

And I once saw my cat swallow a butterfly, that was kinda disgusting.

one of my cats has started bringing in the most revolting enormous moths. That's something you don't want to see:(

I'm glad that my cats might keep mice and rats away from my garden (thought they don't kill rats since we moved to this house and they rarely kill mice, but maybe they deter them?) because rats and mice could easily get into my hutches and sheds and kill my bunnies and guinea pigs. So I'm glad they keep them away anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My cat doesn't bring stuff home, so much as play with the stuff that gets into the house. She loves sitting on the windowsill, playing with flies...keeps putting her paw on them, then taking it off. We do find the carcasses of flies and daddy long legs everywhere, it's not good..! She not the most light-footed of animals, so we frequently hear her thundering around the top of the house chasing blue bottles...frightens the wits out of any visitors we have!!:rolleyes:
    Btw I'm reliably informed that they bring you home presents when they're well-fed and happy...it's a sign that they're contented kitties!!

The good thing about having a cat in your bedroom is they'll get rid of any spiders of flies in there . . . I can't stand a spider being in my room when I want to sleep.

The dog I had when I was a kid used to bring back stuff, like socks, dog biscuits, bones, rich tea biscuits, crow feathers :) I tried to train her to stay in the garden but there was too much temptation by all the treats the neighbours gave her (and the socks she stole from their washing basket) so we put up a fence.

And the dogs I have now, I let them wander off into the field behind the house (not all the time, just sometimes to have a wander around, I usually go with them, or keep an eye on them and call them back if they go too far, they don't run away or cause trouble), and they've come back with things like bones and slices of bread :) I think the woman who feeds one of my cats probably gave them to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Victor wrote: »
    I think two possibilities.

She was new and had to be impressed

She was new, so had to be taught how to hunt.

It was probably the latter... She was a city girl through and through and not very impressed with 'country' life... I don't think the cat had any chance of teaching her how to hunt; if she wouldn't walk through a puddle wearing a pair of wellies there was no way he was going to teach her how to hunt!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

had a good few laughs here (seriously- cats bringing sandwiches home? Brilliant! I wonder if one could train them...;-))

We get the odd mouse, loads of bumblebees (cat number 2 is a little dim...), butterflies & moths, and random other insects. Autumn will be interesting I think.

At the rate they're learning though, one day, I fully expect the two of them to drag a cow home from across the field and push it through the cat flap...;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Our female has just brought home two dead birds and left them in the greenhouse - luckily I spotted them. I do hate when they kill birds but I'm aware that it's in their nature. They're both well fed and we keep them in overnight.

We had a cat when I was a kid that came over from the neighbours house one morning with half a cooked chicken in his mouth!!! My folks were desperately trying to shoo him away :)

I've had my cat bring home cooked meat one day too, maybe from the neighbour who feeds them. Though my friend suggested my neighbours were trying to poison them! (That happened her dogs :()

Does anyone know if cats ever hunt together, or is it always on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

I've had my cat bring home cooked meat one day too, maybe from the neighbour who feeds them. Though my friend suggested my neighbours were trying to poison them! (That happened her dogs :()

Does anyone know if cats ever hunt together, or is it always on their own?

From what I know, its on their own.

yep, my adult cats only hunt alone. But when the younger one was a kitten she used to tag along after the adult cat. He used to look so annoyed, I'm sure she spoiled his hunting. He used to let her take the mice he'd caught - v. maternal for a male cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Beautifull cat was a stray that I looked after for a while. She has a fetish with socks and underpants!!! :D
    She kept bringing home socks and underpants!!! I think the neighbors might still looking for them, as the last time I filled a full black bag of them to clean up the garden!!!
    One day, i think she stole somebody dinner, as she came home with a full roastbeef !!! She ate some of it, then burried it for the next day..

But she brings most of the time home socks and underpants (man and woman)!!! Weird cat!:eek: but so Beautiful kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

our guy often brings shrews, but has been known to bring....big granny bloomers (two very elderly neighbours, could belong to either) pedometer in box with full instructions (young neighbour who walks regularly) vat reciept for tractor parts (farming neighbour) empty macdonalds boxes (farming neighbour's son) some sort of silver air filter in a ziplock bag (no idea) and occasionally a frog.

he is a terrible thief!

he used to catch bumblebees till he got stung on the mouth and had to take a trip to the vet. he adores this time of the year as the flies provide hours of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My cat used to bring boring old robins home.

It's a nice gesture though, bringing you food!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    My cat used to bring boring old robins home.

It's a nice gesture though, bringing you food!

We had a robin visiting us every day until one day I found it dead :( now there's a new robin, though I haven't seen him in a while, I used to see him here twice a day for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We had a robin visiting us every day until one day I found it dead :( now there's a new robin, though I haven't seen him in a while, I used to see him here twice a day for food.

I once yelled at one of our past cats who ran past me with a robin in his mouth... he dropped it and ran off.... I picked up this pathetic scrap of feathers, then realised a beady eye was looking up at me.. Off he flew to sing another day..

A headless hare was one gift that cat brought me once..Always wondered who had the head....

Another used to bring me the parts of a bird she did not fancy; usually head, spine and tail... A snipe once.

Another, a baby rabbit.. and lost count of the shrews .

Now they don't bring their catch home; they got told off too often..

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    I once yelled at one of our past cats who ran past me with a robin in his mouth... he dropped it and ran off.... I picked up this pathetic scrap of feathers, then realised a beady eye was looking up at me.. Off he flew to sing another day..

Yeah, I've managed to get my cats to let go of a few birds, mice and shrews. If they seem to be injured though, I let the cats kill them, because I know they'd probably just suffer for longer otherwise. I got one of my cats to let go of a bird that flew off down the garden into a bush and the cat ran straight after it and brought it back :( I guess it was shocked or injured so it was easy to catch the second time.

There was a daddy long legs in here earlier (the flying kind, not the spider kind) and my kitten ate it . . . it was disgusting to see, I couldn't look at that. They're one of the insects that really freak me out. I don't want them to be killed, but she got it before I could intervene anyway, and I think it was injured anyway, because it was flying weirdly.

I'm glad my cats aren't big hunters, because my little baby guinea pig got out one day and was walking around the patio, with the cats just sitting there not even looking at him. He didn't seem scared at all but I was! Luckily he just went to try to get into the girl guinea pigs' cage and didn't run away when I caught him!

Advertisement