Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawback to using Joomla

Options
  • 01-06-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

This is probably a pretty obvious one but would I be right in saying that a big limitation to using a CMS like Joomla is that if you set up a site for someone with a plugin/module and Joomla itself is updated, the plugins/modules may no longer be compatible and so will require continued monitoring.

So basically, if you set up a site for someone who has little to no knowledge of how to upgrade and install an updated plugin they could end up with a defunct component on their site and will likely have to be in touch with you again to sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Who's going to upgrade Joomla for them though ? .. its not something they are likely to do themselves.

Unless its a major update there should not be (too) many compatibility issues or plugin updates needed.

IMHO a Joomla! based (or any CMS) site should really be maintained and that factored into the price anyhow... even if its a just a tenner a month to look it over and make sure everything is all happy on existing versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

was.deevey wrote: »
    Who's going to upgrade Joomla for them though ? .. its not something they are likely to do themselves.

Unless its a major update there should not be (too) many compatibility issues or plugin updates needed.

IMHO a Joomla! based (or any CMS) site should really be maintained and that factored into the price anyhow... even if its a just a tenner a month to look it over and make sure everything is all happy on existing versions.

Yeah that's a very good point - I was going to include 3-4 hours of CMS training into the cost of each site as well as show them how to upgrade it through cPanel/Fantastico instead of having to go near a manual upgrade; but it feels messy, I'd like to let people be as independent as possible when updating a site but even one individual with very good computer knowledge found it difficult to take in Joomla (thanks to its big learning curve) so I'm worried for someone who knows little.

I know Wordpress is primarily for blogs but I'm considering using it as a CMS as it can be very useful for small business and has been taken up extremely quickly by those I've shown how to use it - but again the same issues may occur with updates. To be fair I won't be taking on with large sites/eCommerce and will be passing this work to other design companies whom I've looked into and do great work so it's likely the work I would take on would require little in the way of plugin/module/widget extensions.

I know the recurrent charge for maintaining the site can be an additional earner but I'm looking to make clients as independent with it as possible. Perhaps passing on the maintenance to another company (is that unheard of?) as I'm currently in a career change away from design and might not be around in a years time to continue maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

If its basic image uploading or text editing i'd reccomend a desktop editor OR frontend editor for joomla.

Desktop editing .. blogg-x

1. Set up the Categories / Sections for them
    2. Install blogg-x on their desktop.
    3. They log in and edit/add the material... though an interface similar to article manager (without any other features).

Frontend editing

There are a range of Addons which allow nice frontend editing in Joomla .the native Joomla package has a frontend editor which works fine depending on the content.

Wordpress alternative

Considering the major security issues Wordpress have had of late i'd hardly consider it more secure or less needy of updates ... and you'll likely have just as many issues with compatibility of plugins if upgrades take place.

I would recommend however (and try include it in the price !)

1. Good backup system for your Joomla database .. there are a few out there.. some will mail a backup at prescheduled intervals e.g each night.

2. Backup of site files at least once a week using Akeeba or similar.

3. Good IDS / Firewall for the site e.g. OSE security suite which should prevent sql injection attacks and brute force attacks to the site.

Even a basic Free Firewalling system will prevent the majority of SQL injections (jfirewall lite) and give a little peace of mind that you wont get that horrible Phonecall at 3am asking to "clean a site".

At least security updates can be scheduled rather than letting the customer need to do it and possibly screw everything up...

I see it as akin to updating to Windows SP2 .. how long before that gained corporate confidence ? (regardless of the heightened security updates).

Sorry for the rant and rave.

Career change ... great send 'em to me :P

Advertisement