Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera shops in Dublin

• 01-06-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

This should probably be posted in general consumer issues but as it involves a lens I'll post it here.

I want to buy a Canon 55-250 IS and have decided to buy it in Dublin rather than from the internet.
    Problem is, camera shops in Dublin don't seem to be interested in selling me one!
    I have emailed every camera shop in Dublin outlining what I want and what I'm trading in.
    Only ONE camera shop bothered to reply but his rrp is €30 higher than anyone else, I have phoned around every camera shop also and keep getting answers like "the guy who looks after trade ins is not here, he'll ring you back" or a general apathy in the whole deal.
    I have a business which requires a lot of emails and I'm constantly online checking emails and replying to queries within minutes of query hitting my inbox.

Why do Irish companies/shops have a website with a "contact us" if they never f**king reply?:mad:
    I'm really piffed of over this. I want that lens so badly but I'd like some customer service please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The problem is that most camera stores in dublin are fairly small places with no real online presence. I wouldn't imagine any of them really regard email as anything to be checked on a regular basis, if at all. I bet the place that got back to you was either berminghams or conns, right ? They're the only places that have sites that they update semi-regularly. Ringing around will generally get you a better response. I'd ask for a straight price on it though instead of getting right into trade-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

I think that though we can talk as much about recession these days - those shops do not give a s%$t about customers, specially when the prices are that high.

I found this ridiculous many times when you actually want to organise something - they still live in the era where you actually need a day off work to go to the shop directly and maybe, only maybe there they will be able to talk to you. Not a chance to do this on Sunday as mostly they are closed. This rant was here for ages but I dont see a reason to go and buy of them - order your equipment online and sell your gear in here on adverts or ebay - you will probably get more of it.

What are you trying to sell anyway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

SinLight wrote: »
    I think that though we can talk as much about recession these days - those shops do not give a s%$t about customers, specially when the prices are that high.

I found this ridiculous many times when you actually want to organise something - they still live in the era where you actually need a day off work to go to the shop directly and maybe, only maybe there they will be able to talk to you. Not a chance to do this on Sunday as mostly they are closed. This rant was here for ages but I dont see a reason to go and buy of them - order your equipment online and sell your gear in here on adverts or ebay - you will probably get more of it.

What are you trying to sell anyway? :D

Just looking to get rid of a Tamron 55-200 (1yr old, mint), no use to me if I get the Canon 55-250. I have it over on Adverts.ie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i imagine any shop would be wary about getting into a discussion about a lens trade in without actually eyeballing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Just looking to get rid of a Tamron 55-200 (1yr old, mint), no use to me if I get the Canon 55-250. I have it over on Adverts.ie.

I'd say you'd be better off trying to flog it on EBay or adverts all right, I wouldn't say you'd get anything even remotely decent on trade in for it in a shop. The 3rd party lenses don't tend to hold their value as well as the name-brands.

• Advertisement

The problem is that most camera stores in dublin are fairly small places with no real online presence. I wouldn't imagine any of them really regard email as anything to be checked on a regular basis, if at all. I bet the place that got back to you was either berminghams or conns, right ? They're the only places that have sites that they update semi-regularly. Ringing around will generally get you a better response. I'd ask for a straight price on it though instead of getting right into trade-ins.

Conns replied, but their sticker prices are way too high. Bermo's didn't, had to ring them (still waiting on a return call:rolleyes:). I don't buy the argument that they're small places with no online presence, I'm a one person operation and I rely on the internet, if these "small" guys (and we all know who we're talking about) want to survive they need to get with the programme. Gunn's are lovely to talk to but a simple reply to an email shouldn't be outside their capabilities and they would get the sale over Conns anyday.

i imagine any shop would be wary about getting into a discussion about a lens trade in without actually eyeballing it.

Naturally, but replying to an email would be the first babystep to a sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I emailed Birminghams 6 months ago re a lens that retails for a 4 figure sum

still no response.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Why not give 'em a ring. I've never had problems getting quotes/expected time wait over the phone. And have you ever been in Conns when it rings? They all hop on it! :D

Advertisement