Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast Guard Volunteering info

Options
  • 01-06-2010 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm looking to start volunteering for the coast guard, i'm hoping to start studying medicine in september however i dont know for definite where i'll get offerred a place.... but it'll be either Dublin Cork or Limerick. Does anyone here volunteer in any of those three places? If so is there an application process for starting the volunteering or training and also is it difficult or easy to join? I imagine there has to be space for someone new in whatever unit i would be hoping to join does anyone know how regularly spaces become available?
    Thanks for any info given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

From what I have gathered, with voluntary rescue services such as the RNLI (coast guard is probably the same) there is usually a waiting list of people who want to volunteer and it's generally a long time before anyone gets a place on the team.

I'm not sure about the coast guard though, best off ringing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

Yeah i was afraid this would be the case... ah well i guess i'll just join the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

moncai wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm looking to start volunteering for the coast guard, i'm hoping to start studying medicine in september however i dont know for definite where i'll get offerred a place.... but it'll be either Dublin Cork or Limerick. Does anyone here volunteer in any of those three places? If so is there an application process for starting the volunteering or training and also is it difficult or easy to join? I imagine there has to be space for someone new in whatever unit i would be hoping to join does anyone know how regularly spaces become available?
    Thanks for any info given.

Dublin has Howth CG......busiest of the Dublin area stations. Contact Colin their area officer for info.

Limerick has no Coastguard station. Kilaloe is the neariest......busy station and good bunch (Michael is the area officer I think.....if not the deputy is Denis Dillon the head of ISA powerboat division....number on the net). Limerick has a marine search and rescue service activated by the Fire Service.......but stay with a CG unit!!!

Cork has Crosshaven CG......again a busy and active unit. Contact Vince Farr the officer in charge for details (hes full time fire service in cork city)

All these places also have RNLI stations nearby as well as other voluntary servcies (however IrCG, RNLI and CRBI are front line emergency services)

As Elessar says there maybe a waiting list in Howth and Cork.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Elessar wrote: »
    From what I have gathered, with voluntary rescue services such as the RNLI (coast guard is probably the same) there is usually a waiting list of people who want to volunteer and it's generally a long time before anyone gets a place on the team.

I'm not sure about the coast guard though, best off ringing them.

sorry, maybe stupid question, why would so many people want to volunteer for these specific services? please dont take my question as sarkie, i have the utmost respect these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

People like to help others. At least, that's what they'd like you to think...

It's pretty exhilarating being a part of a rescue team rushing to help others though, I'd say that's a big part of it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Elessar wrote: »
    People like to help others. At least, that's what they'd like you to think...

It's pretty exhilarating being a part of a rescue team rushing to help others though, I'd say that's a big part of it! :D

There is NO better feeling than pulling someone from the water into a boat....a person who would have certainly died if you hadnt.

Anyone who has ever joined a IrCG, RNLI, CRBI unit etc has never ever turned back. Its a bug that will stick with you for life......even if you have to leave it for whatever reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

Yeah I really want to get into this, no point going through life and not giving it your all! I have to wait till 5th of august before i know where i'll be based for next 4 years though :P

Advertisement