Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best literary memoirs/autobiographies

Options
  • 01-06-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

I was surprised not to see a thread on this topic (though there's every chance that there is one that I've missed).

Exactly like it says in the title, so I'll set the ball rolling:

Alan Bennett's autobiographical writings, "Writing Home" and "Untold Stories". Untold Stories in particular is one of the best books I've ever read, remarkably honest and humane.

"The Strings are False", Louis MacNeice's unfinished autobiography. Perhaps somewhat arch, but I thought it was excellent all the same.

They're the only two that spring to mind, what are your favourites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Christopher Hitchen's Hitch-22 is getting great reviews at the moment. He was on Radio 1 on RTE today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

John McGahern's Memoir.

While not exclusively about his art, it does present a lucid picture of where his inspiration for writing came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Paul McGrath's bio was very personal and that impressed me. Brian Clough's was really good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Ernie O'Malleys 'The Singing Flame' is an excellent insight into the anti-Treaty side during the Civil War. He was a thoughtful and intense fellow, albeit slightly lacking in reflection or self criticism. More interesting than compelling.

Patrick Kavanagh's 'The Green Fool' is a semi fictional autobiography of his early life. One of the best books I've ever read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Bob Dylan's 'Chronicles' is a must have for any fan, even casual fans will enjoy it. A wonderfully written book with some great anecdotes. I have even bought the audio CD which is read by Sean Penn.

Where's volume 2 Bob!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

i'l sleep when i'm dead a book about the late singer song writer warren zevon, written by his wife crystal zevon. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Snooki Ravioli

How do the members of this group define "literary memoir"? Is it a memoir of a literary person or is it a memoir written in a literary style? I've always defined it as the former but l have seen others define it as the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Denerick wrote: »
    Patrick Kavanagh's 'The Green Fool' is a semi fictional autobiography of his early life. One of the best books I've ever read!

Incredible book, actually inspired me to keep the odd book in the hedge, until it rained and I realised the folly of the plan.

Also "Wheels Within Wheels" by Dervla Murphy is a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished Bill Cullen's "A Long Way From Penny Apples" a few weeks ago. Very good book with lots of anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

A couple I liked are:
    Sir Vidia's Shadow by Paul Theroux, about his relationship with the writer VS Naipaul.
    Experience by Martin Amis, autobiographical, about his relationship with his father, Kingsley Amis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

"I know why the caged bird sings" by maya angelou was very inspirational for me. I read it at 18 and had never read anything by a black woman that moved me as much. I enjoyed it tremendously and it opened my eyes to literature from black women. good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Snooki Ravioli

Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler. If you've ever wondered what the real story is about how the Amish live, read this book. It's well written, a great read and gives a dose of reality. Living the Amish lifestyle isn't as bucolic and stress-free as you might imagine and the religious control of every aspect of their lives is overwhelming. Wagler and several of his 10 siblings eventually left the Amish community.

Advertisement