Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using shed as a greenhouse

Options
  • 01-06-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Total garden newbie here. We've just moved into a house which has two sheds in the garden (see pic). The big one was meant to be a workshop but at the moment is only taking up garden space and providing unnecessary shade to it in the evenings. So I thought I could use it as a sort of a greenhouse in and around the winter to grow veg and sow seeds for the summer time. It has 2 standard windows overlooking the garden, the side of which can be opened. Nowadays it gets direct sunlight all day on the roof and from about 8am up until 11.30am or so throught the windows (garden side), then for about 2 hours or so through the door. All this when it is sunny of course!

I thought of using old tables or tresles+planks just under the windows to support growbags, containers or pots. Do you think it could work or would it get too little light or be too cold in the winter? Could I grow potatoes in tubs in the shed or would they be better outside? Too many questions I know... :D

72sketch.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not a good idea, I'm afraid. You might put a few trays of seeds in the window, but even then you have to move them as soon as they sprout or they will grow spindly towards the window. Anything else will not get enough light to grow successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks looksee! I knew it was a long shot... I am now thinking about a cold frame attached to either the big shed or one of the house walls. Which sun would be better for this, morning, afternoon or evening? How many hours of direct sunlight would be the minimum (provided that the sun shines from time to time)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Find a spot that is going to get the most light for most of the day. If you have to choose, go for afternoon sun. Its not really full blast sunshine you need (people shade their greenhouses from full summer sun) as the best light you can get for the longest period.

Edit, just looked at your plan, which I should have done in the first place. You don't really have an ideal spot, would you consider putting something freestanding on the right side of the green area. Otherwise work up to one of the sheds but face as much as possible towards the house so you get morning/midday sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

There is a high hedge to the right of the green area and to the front (top) and it wouldn't look very nice. I think I will stick to the shed wall. Perhaps I'm wrong but in my experience early mornings are a lot sunnier than any other part of the day in Dublin. The vegies (tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes for the moment) should get at least 4 hours of sun up until midday by the shed when it is sunny. I could put the lettuces in other less sunny corners I suppose.

Advertisement