Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on cleats and shoes

• 01-06-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just purchased a second hand bike and have been advised to change from regular pedals to cleats. Advised to get Look KEO easy cleats to start off and found these shoes (cheapest ones available really) to go with it. Do these seem suitable for a beginner to road bikes?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28263

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9501

I'm a total novice to road bikes but want to get involved so want to make sure I'm making the right investment.

Also, what kind of tools do I need to put these on the bike? Are they easy to install or should I get one of the local bike shops to do it?

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Sorry to hijack the thread but i have toe clips on my bike at the moment what are the different type of pedals and what advantages dose one have over the other and what type of shoes do u need to go with each.
    Thanks Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

acurno wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just purchased a second hand bike and have been advised to change from regular pedals to cleats. Advised to get Look KEO easy cleats to start off and found these shoes (cheapest ones available really) to go with it. Do these seem suitable for a beginner to road bikes?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28263

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9501

I'm a total novice to road bikes but want to get involved so want to make sure I'm making the right investment.

Also, what kind of tools do I need to put these on the bike? Are they easy to install or should I get one of the local bike shops to do it?

Thanks,
    Alan

Both shoes and pedals seem fine for starting off and certainly are great value for money. To install the pedals you will need a long handle size 15" (I think) pedal wrench. A standard wrench (with a decent long handle) will do just as good. You will need to spend some time setting up your shoe cleats for a comfortable position to avoid foot and knee pains.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭ccmp

Those shoes only come in 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It might be worth considering using SPD pedals and shoes rather than the SPD SL versions.

They are intended for the MTB market but are just as handy (or handier) on the road. Cleats are recessed into the sole so it's easy to walk in them while the road cleats are big lumps protruding from the sole of the shoe making it more like skating than walking at times.

I use these pedals and these shoes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Both shoes and pedals seem fine for starting off and certainly are great value for money. To install the pedals you will need a long handle size 15" (I think) pedal wrench. A standard wrench (with a decent long handle) will do just as good. You will need to spend some time setting up your shoe cleats for a comfortable position to avoid foot and knee pains.

err look pedals use a 8mm allen key with the hex inside the pedal so you tighten from the inside, they dont have a flat as normal pedals do (so you cant use a spanner, you have to allen key them, you will need a spanner to get the old ones off though (assuming their not look)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

err look pedals use a 8mm allen key with the hex inside the pedal so you tighten from the inside, they dont have a flat as normal pedals do (so you cant use a spanner, you have to allen key them, you will need a spanner to get the old ones off though (assuming their not look)

Note to self " check advise before posting"

I only just put a set of Look Keo max on saturday and clearly had to use the correct tool (8 mm allen key). So I should have got that one right. Apologies for incorrect information

Advertisement