Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ardiles and Hamann join RTÉ for World Cup

• 01-06-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Argentine World Cup winner Ossie Ardiles, and former German international Dietmar Hamann, have been added to RTÉ's squad of pundits for the 2010 World Cup.

Ardiles and Hamann will join regular RTÉ analysts John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Graeme Souness, Ronnie Whelan, Richie Sadlier, Liam Brady and Denis Irwin

Not bad additions.

RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I will wait to see them in action but at the moment they seem like good additions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The BBC should try get Leonardo again, was very good last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Seaneh wrote: »
    The BBC should try get Leonardo again, was very good last time around.

BBC have their team announced already.

Their guest pundits are Jürgen Klinsmann, Emmanuel Adebayor and Clarence Seedorf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hamann is decent but Ardiles isn't great at all. He just talks really fast and says obvious sorta, non-insightful things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hamann can offer protection to Cunningham and Whelan while releasing Giles and Dunphy to strike early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

God the sight of Kenny Cunningham really depresses me. One of Ireland's worst ever defenders,am I correct in remembering he was even captain for a while?
    I like Hamann,I must say BBC have a good line up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I can't understand a single word Ardiles says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He was captain for a year I think greetings. Ardiles is a nice bloke but his English is poor. Hamann's cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apres match portray them and of course their version of Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

greetings wrote: »
    God the sight of Kenny Cunningham really depresses me. One of Ireland's worst ever defenders,am I correct in remembering he was even captain for a while?
    I don't mind him that much, just needs to work on his breathing.
    I must say BBC have a good line up though.
    Really. Adebayor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Aidric wrote: »
    Really. Adebayor?

And he'll be wearing his arsenal top too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

His eye brow movement could scare children. His hair too. Apart from that he's grand. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

God the sight of Kenny Cunningham really depresses me. One of Ireland's worst ever defenders,

That's a ridiculous comment. Cunningham was very good for us for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hamann is pretty good. Tends to avoid cliches and offers good insight.

His German tinged with scouse accent always puts a smile on my face, although he has a long way to go to match the way Jan Molby's Danish accent became almost scouse.:D

Didis growing Scouse acccent (listen out for "doesn't"!)

Hopefully Richard Sadlier will get a decent amount of time at the expence of the likes of Cunningham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

God the sight of Kenny Cunningham really depresses me. One of Ireland's worst ever defenders,am I correct in remembering he was even captain for a while?.

I actually quite like Cunningham. I think he does a good job whenever I see him on The Premiership, pointing out some obvious blunders and so on that MOTD never say anything about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Very happy to see Liam Brady and Dennis Irwin's names on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Really. Adebayor?

Adebayor will know alot of the players,he's playing at the top of his game and I'm sure he'd know more about the current going ons than alot of the older lads they may have on some of the programmes.

Adebayor will know alot of the players,he's playing at the top of his game and I'm sure he'd know more about the current going ons than alot of the older lads they may have on some of the programmes.
    I'm sure he does. Articulating his points was more what I was getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Dunphy and Didi on the lash could be legendary;)

I hope they make Ossie sing the Totteningham cup song....or at least roll out the footage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

No he wasnt...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Are we sure Cunningham is in the panel this summer? I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere. If he's not on it, maybe Hamann was chosen to provide the comedy eyebrows quota?

Also, unmentioned but of crucial importance:
    At a photocall in RTÉ, Argentinean World Cup winner and Tottenham Hotspur legend Ossie Ardlies, as well as former German international Dietmar (Didi) Hamann, were introduced as part of RTÉ's unrivalled team of soccer panellists for the World Cup.

Joining the team this summer for the first time will be Republic of Ireland international Kilbane and re-joining is favourite Liam Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ossie is tough to make out but Ossie and Bill = win. They could be a sitcom duo. Hamann I think is a very good addition and it's great that Liam and Denis are involved again. Oh and Graeme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Apres match team will have a field day with these two! As for someone saying Cunningham was one of our worst defenders is beyond belief. I would put him behind the likes of Dunne and way behind the great defenders who played under Jack Charlton but he was world class compared to Breen and McShane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I would have thought Cunningham would be doing the live co-commentary, was he not doing it for the Confederations Cup? Same with Trevor Stephens.

Commentators.
    George Hamilton, Ray Houghton, Gabriel Egan, Trevor Steven, Stephen Alkin, Damian Richardson, Adrian Eames and Matt Holland will provide commentary from South Africa along with the legendary Jimmy Magee.

Jimmy McGee? Thats it.

BBC/ITV even if my ears bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just can't wait for this. Another full month of pure World Cup entertainment from the RTE Panel.

How long into the tournament will it take Dunphy to mention the War to Didi. "I've seen you play the golf and just like Hitler, you always end up in the bunker, baby. Yarrrrrhhh"

Didi: "Vat? Vat is dis you zay? You cannot speak this way, yes? You vud not get away vit dis on the Sky"

Dunphy: "Yarrrrrhhhh, you're not in Kansas anymore, baby! Take it away Bill"

Bill: "So John, do you agree with Ossie??"

Giles "I can't understand a bloody word he's saying Bill. All i can make out is Tottingham. Liam, do you have any idea what the Ardiles lad is saying".

Liam: "I don't care John. Tell Eamon to let me in on his poker games with Didi. He won't lettttt me!!"

Jimmy Magee was summed up perfectly on here during Euro 2008 by gogglebok:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56246935&postcount=72

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

so rte say they will show all 64 games live! how will they show games on the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I take it Ossie will be covering the likes of Slovenia vs Algeria and Honduras vs Chile alongside Sadlier/Cunningham/Irwin.

Good to know the "holy trinity" of Giles/Eamo/Brady will be back in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

adamski8 wrote: »
    so rte say they will show all 64 games live! how will they show games on the same time?

Isn't there more than one RTE channel?

When they are games on at the same time presumably the other game will be available on RTE's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

To be fair, the commentary on the fairly minor games that Jimmy Magee does is always hilarious, more entertaining than the games themselves a lot of the time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't mind Jimmy Magee at all! Legend a far as i'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Degag wrote: »
    As long as they keep him away from the telly. Man's useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

In the cup for totingham ! Lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Zonda999 wrote: »
    To be fair, the commentary on the fairly minor games that Jimmy Magee does is always hilarious, more entertaining than the games themselves a lot of the time! :)

The only time I notice him is when he covers the mind-numbing 0-0/1-0 game at the end of the group stages between two teams who are already out like Cameroon v Uruguay. Especially if like in 2002, it was at 7am..

Great stuff! Makes more sense than Martin O'Neill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

FatherTed wrote: »
    Isn't there more than one RTE channel?
    yeah i was thinking that but non-soccer fans would be mighty peeved at that i would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

adamski8 wrote: »
    yeah i was thinking that but non-soccer fans would be mighty peeved at that i would say

56 lives games to be shown on RTÉ Two, all 64 streamed online on RTÉ.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Ronnie Whelan :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

How many times a day is apre match on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Degag wrote: »

You're right, he is a legend but unfortunately he's a legend who should've retired at least 5 years ago. He's past it, even for sitting in a chair and commentating.

Anyone notice how it now takes Jimmy at least 3 seconds to announce his familiar 'It's a goal'- the ball is usually being picked out of the back by the keeper by the time Jimmy utters the magic words. He's just slowed down considerably over the last few years and its gets annoying to listen to at times tbh.

There must be loads of younger lads who would love a pop at commentating but RTE just won't tell Jimmy to get out the slippers and cigars :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Who's promoted to the A panel? Giles, Dunphy and Brady hopefully. Or will they go with 4?

B and C panels look rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hopefully Didi gives Whelan some much deserved abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Didi is a great addition, cant remember where I saw him doing commentary/punditry before, I think it was sky sports, but I remember just listening intently to ever word.

Very insightful into the modern game, doesnt sugar coat bad players/performances and doesnt just give basic analysis that everyone clearly saw during the game, but some really clever stuff that anyone who hasnt played proffesional football just wouldnt get.

I remember him doing a little piece with Andy Gray on midfielders movement as they did post match analysis and I was literally blown away with the stuff I'd literally never though of before.

Was going to avoid RTE as I usually do, might be enough to swing me and the lads to watch the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

What a ridiculous comment. Cunningham was a fantastic player for Ireland. If anything played well above his ability for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

TheDoc wrote: »
    I remember him doing a little piece with Andy Gray on midfielders movement as they did post match analysis and I was literally blown away with the stuff I'd literally never though of before.

The same Andy Gray who after Liverpool won the Champions League when Hamann was being brought on in a PL game that Liverpool were loosing said something like You don't bring on a player like Hamann when you are behind or some such guff

Liverpool duly went on to win the game, Andy had clearly learned nothing from Istanbul

I would like to think that Didi scored the winner in that game but I think that might just be wishful thinking

• Advertisement
Advertisement