Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ardiles and Hamann join RTÉ for World Cup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

GymJim wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment. Cunningham was a fantastic player for Ireland. If anything played well above his ability for Ireland.

Great player - s***e commentator/analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Great player - s***e commentator/analyst.

Yeah freaky ass eyebrows and always giving the evil stare to the presenter like they've done something wrong to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I think Trevor Stephen is probably the best panelist, avoids cliches, has a real insight into the modern game and can read the game well.

Ronnie isn't so bad, has his good and bad days.

Souness was a big loss to the RTE panel.

Ardiles, it's hard to make out what he says sometimes.

That said, the RTE panel is in pretty good shape for this world cup. However I tend to avoid it these days, and watched the Sky Sports panel for the Champions League.

The main fault I find with the RTE panel, especially Gilsey, is he goes into a lot of detail and is prepared to argue over everything, such as why Mourinho has faults, why Trapatoni isn't playing positive football, how teams can do things better (even when they win trebles or world cups).

Gilsey is a very hard man to please when it comes to football.

He's just reached that age, you know that O.A.P. age were they give out about everything, Giles is the Victor Meldrew of punditary and it doesn't help when Bill refers to him as the senior analyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I hope Eamonn has a row with Graeme and Brady. Bill will be the instigator of it all, I love when he gets them all wound up.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

TheTosh wrote: »
    He's just reached that age, you know that O.A.P. age were they give out about everything, Giles is the Victor Meldrew of punditary and it doesn't help when Bill refers to him as the senior analyst

/John Giles accent/

Er, that's nonsense there! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

TheTosh wrote: »

Yeah that's hilarious. Especially if there is a dispute between Dunphy and someone and Bill refers it over to 'our senior analyst' to have his say, as if he's Solomon.

I have this image of a world cup in 20 years with O'Heriley and Dunphy in the studio and then O'Heriley turns around to a TV screen and asks "Well John, what do you think?"

Cut to Gilsey in a nursing home, "Well Bill, they were rubbish..".

Giles lives in that studio(I love to see him do cribs) and while he's still breathing won't be pried from that chair. He's been in that chair for long it has John Giles smell. I loved to see the altercation between Giles and Hamann/Ardiles when they sit in his chair by accident not knowing its his, I could see him taking a Stone Cold Steve Austin approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

hopefully dumphy will have a few before some of the games and be have steamed on it and end up like this
    eamon_dunphy_blog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Is it just me that thinks Kenny isn't a bad pundit? If you look away from the television screen and concentrate on his analysis instead of the ever-hovering eyebrows he's quite decent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

He's improved a lot since the last WC. Hes a very good analyst of defensive setups and how they are undone for goals. He hasn't been dropped anyway. According to the Examiner today he's get his coaching badges over the summer so isn't free to be on d'telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

At least Marcel Desailly isn't on any of the lineups find it so hard to understand him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

greetings wrote: »
    God the sight of Kenny Cunningham really depresses me. One of Ireland's worst ever defenders,am I correct in remembering he was even captain for a while?
    I like Hamann,I must say BBC have a good line up though.

You are lucky I don't fancy yet another ban.

Jesus Christ- I mean did you only see him during his last professional season or something?

I honestly don't understand some people.

noodler wrote: »
    You are lucky I don't fancy yet another ban.

Jesus Christ- I mean did you only see him during his last professional season or something?

I honestly don't understand some people.

Dam straight great player and captain, led by example. It ashame he didn't play for any of the big clubs he would've done well and by the looks of would of gotten more respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anyone have a link/final list of the pundits that will be on RTE?

Some have said Kenny isn't on at all, others say he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why is Adebayour bothering his hole with this? He's on what, £100k + a week? If it was me I'd be at the WC or on my hole at home with a beer watching it on the biggest tv sold in the free world.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why is Adebayour bothering his hole with this? He's on what, £100k + a week? If it was me I'd be at the WC or on my hole at home with a beer watching it on the biggest tv sold in the free world.

Don't forget being surrounded by beautiful women and big time by Peter Gabriel playing in the background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Stekelly wrote: »

Maybe he actually likes football? I've never liked the guy but the fact that he is going to be watching the World Cup and not on a yacht is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe he actually likes football? I've never liked the guy but the fact that he is going to be watching the World Cup and not on a yacht is a good thing.

If his mainmotivation was to watch the football, he'd be at it. As I was getting at,evenif he didn't want to go I'm sure he could afford himself a nice telly to watch it on, maybe even splash out on 3d if he has enough disposable income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see Gordon strachan is on the BBC panel, he at least is good for a sharp tongued lash and laugh.

Is Graeme Le Saux not on the BBC panel? :)

I know RTE have the A and B panels. Poor Peter Collins used to have to present when it was the rubbish games in the afternoon, the likes of UAE versus Egypt. And the B panel guys would get that gig.

The words 'rusty bread knife' come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wish RTE had gor Martin Keown, possibly my favourite pundit now, I thought he was excellent on TV3 during the europa league.

I've been impressed by RTE's punditry, good quality and at least they talk about the matches, far too much distraction and sideshow on other channels, you're lucky to get a single comment about the match let alone any "analysis".

I watch the match on BBC but turn over to RTE at half time and full time. Apres Match is saving this world cup from being a total bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Has Ardiles been on yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That_Guy wrote: »
    Has Ardiles been on yet?

No, doesn't seem to be on RTE until next Sunday either.I think he's working on CNN too so might be there this week or something

Advertisement