Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Signal

Options
  • 01-06-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just moved house and my wireless signal doesn't reach one of the bedrooms in the house. Is there anyway I can extend the reach of my BT Homehub 2 to reach my bedroom? I have a phone line in the bedroom but no sure what i would need to get in order to extend the signal.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

apple® wrote: »
    I just moved house and my wireless signal doesn't reach one of the bedrooms in the house. Is there anyway I can extend the reach of my BT Homehub 2 to reach my bedroom? I have a phone line in the bedroom but no sure what i would need to get in order to extend the signal.

Any help would be great!

Is there interference from other Wifi sources? Changing Wifi channel could alleviate this.

Alternately you could have a look at powerline network adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 apple®

Yeah I went through every channel on the router but to no avail. It's so strange as the whole house gets the signal apart from one single room! It's like a black spot.

Power-line Adapters sounds like a great idea you know. I heard of them ages ago but never read into them too much. Is it that you have one near the router and you connect it via ethernet cable to it and then any other adapter you plug into anywhere in your home will also transmit your router's signal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

apple® wrote: »
    Yeah I went through every channel on the router but to no avail. It's so strange as the whole house gets the signal apart from one single room! It's like a black spot.

Power-line Adapters sounds like a great idea you know. I heard of them ages ago but never read into them too much. Is it that you have one near the router and you connect it via ethernet cable to it and then any other adapter you plug into anywhere in your home will also transmit your router's signal?

They don't transmit the wireless signal, but you can plus an ethernet cable into one in the blackspot room.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It sounds like something in the room's walls is the problem. Its probably a wall where they run the piping up/down.

Try repositioning the router in another room. Dont worry so much about the internet connection, just plug in the router and get some readings on the signal strength.

Usually these problems can be alleviated by putting the wireless router on the 2nd floor, or raised up in the attic even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've got a similar problem in that I've got a bog standard Eircom router which was fine for wireless console gaming as its in the same room as my consoles, but now that I've got an iPad I'm finding the signal range to other areas to be fairly crap. Kitchen is very weak and will drop regularly, and bedroom is very difficult to get any signal.

Keeping in mind that it's a rented property and I don't really want to get involved in wiring new connections in the attic etc, is there a way of extending the signal? Will buying a better router to replace the Eircom stock one work, or are there signal boosters that I can just plug in to relay the signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 apple®

I think what I am going to do is invest in Powerline Networking Adapters. If you've not heard of these, there are basically plugs that you plug into the wall. You can one near the router where you wire it with the Router using an ethernet cable. Then you have one wherever you want signal in the house and you plug this into the computer and voila through your powerlines you can transfer a wireless signal. This wouldn't work for your iPad but what you can do is maybe get a repeater.

Advertisement