Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 and a half ton tipper

• 01-06-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

hi, was thinking of selling car and buying a year 2000 daf tipper to get something going,(yes,one of our growing statistics),they are around 3.5k for that year but dealer has kinda turned my head with a 1995 with a crane which would mean more jobs open to me at 5.5k,was wondering any body have any thoughts on this,ie,is the insurance way more for the crane on it,am i gonna get caught for other things like certs,any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thread moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Is the 95 also a Daf?

The older ones have a problem with tin worm in around the cab. The other issue with buying one with a crane is that it may very well put you overweight on the front axle even when unloaded.

Even if it is under the DGW of the axle it will seriously hinder the load you can legally carry and will wear out front suspension components a lot quicker. Unless you really have work for the crane I wouldn't bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

presume the weight of the hi ab is added to the body weight which would leave some of these only able to carry a ton.was hoping to deliver bags of coloured stone and maybe put on a clam for grabbing muck if the hi ab is compatible with this. These tippers are making big money at the moment due to export market,what do you think is the best and economical tipper around 00 at the moment. Presume tin worm is a rust. Thanks for reply

Yep, tin worm is rust.

The small MAN 8.153 isn't a bad truck. They are quite simple and don't give too much trouble.

The DAF isn't a bad truck either and are simple enough to work on. The front calipers can give trouble on both of these trucks but as with all, if they are serviced well and not abused they should serve ya well.

The real problem with the cranes is that the RSA know they put you over the weight on the front axle and target these lorries for that exact reason

yea,i find the man a bit pricier,dont know how much about price of hi ab retro fitted but it seems i have to go back a good bit in the years and a couple of grand extra for it.the only thing with the dealer is he will doe it as it scares the bejaysus out of me with the price for work they could come back to me with one from the auction.

• Advertisement

just give you an update slidey,have bought a 02 daewoo avia 7.5 tipper,carries 3 ton,full d.o.e., crunching in to third gear,just splitting gearbox now,drives good besides,any idea what the charges are for delivering sand and gravel or anything delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Well Tom, congrats on getting the truck. Have you considered buying in the gravel/sand/804 by the 20 ton load and selling out in 1 ton loads tipped? You could buy for €10-15/ton and sell for €70 / ton. delivered. That is assuming you have space to store the bulk stuff.
    I've always found that when I buy a machine hoping to get work, things have been tough, but you might have good contacts etc and fly it. I'd prefer to get the job first and then go out fast and buy the machine. I worry a bit when lads ask how much they should charge for doing x/y/z as only you know your overheads and fixed costs and how much you need to earn to cover fuel/tax/insurance/repairs and a few quid for you. Work out you costs for delivering thing A a fixed distance, and work out your charges from there. Sod what others charge. 8 out of 10 small businesses go bust in the first five years. Of those that survive, 8 of that 10 go out of business in the next 5 years. The main reason is not charging enough, hence not enough cash to pay the bills. So, if you are charging same as what the other 8 guys are charging, you too will go bust within the next few years. So, work out YOUR price, and charge it. If your good, people will pay, if its not viable, better to find out fast and move on to another idea.

Best of luck with the new buy tom.

Haven't had much to do with them tbh. There is one I test once a year, think he had to put a full set of spring bushes into it again this year. It might be a soft point in them.

Who is the agent for them now?

thanks for reply guys,wouldnt have the room for big loads but a lot of pits close to me,tbh the lorry isnt putting me out much money and it would be more a side line when things are slow with a moulded plastering im hoping to set up,(ever the optimist huh),so i wont have machines outside like before at 450 a week wondering where the next hire is.
    The daewoo seems a nice little truck,cummins engine,zf gearbox,air seat,looks modern for its year,dave mullins took them over in tullamore,they are just avia now after daewoo got in to trouble a few years back and they are also doing an electric model,so get me gearbox back in and hope there is no more crunching.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DarrenGT4

tipptom wrote: »
    thanks for reply guys,wouldnt have the room for big loads but a lot of pits close to me,tbh the lorry isnt putting me out much money and it would be more a side line when things are slow with a moulded plastering im hoping to set up,(ever the optimist huh),so i wont have machines outside like before at 450 a week wondering where the next hire is.
    The daewoo seems a nice little truck,cummins engine,zf gearbox,air seat,looks modern for its year,dave mullins took them over in tullamore,they are just avia now after daewoo got in to trouble a few years back and they are also doing an electric model,so get me gearbox back in and hope there is no more crunching.

hi i had 3 daf 45's and there a great little truck. dont think they come in 7.5 tonne. only 8 and 10tonne.

• Advertisement

had adaf 45 agood few years back myself darren,good workhorse but was only able to carry 2 1/4 ton,daewoo pretty good,same gearbox and engine i think,anyway there was a syncro gone in third but there is still a little thump changing gear especially third unless you nurse it,think it must be back in the diff,but its fine unless im going selling it,i think.
    You have any experience with this?.

Advertisement