Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only €50 notes in atm machines

Options
  • 01-06-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

anytime lately that i try to get money from an atm it never has notes under €50 value. has anyone else noticed this sneaky new way of banks forcing consumers to take out mor money than they might need? i thought it was just a certain bank locally but notice lately that it is more prevelant than i thought. i have complained in local bank. they tried to say it was just that week but it's been goin on for a lot longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I thought Banks would perfer you to keep your Money in the Bank rather then take it out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭lau1247

personally i think it's probably best if you take out 50 in one go rather than 20's each time.. save a bit on the transaction charge..

for myself I always take minimum 100 if I ever need to use ATM

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That's been common for a long time now. Next it will be €100 or €500 notes from the atm. :D

€50 is probably the most common note out there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Supply and demand, lower amounts such as 20e will always be the first to go.

Its because of people like you that you can't get your 20e note as they beat you to it and got all the 20e first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

lau1247 wrote: »
    personally i think it's probably best if you take out 50 in one go rather than 20's each time.. save a bit on the transaction charge..

for myself I always take minimum 100 if I ever need to use ATM

Most banks offer transaction free banking now. (for most transactions)

It's annoying alright, especially when your on your last €20 and you have to search for an ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah I've noticed it nearly everywhere the last couple of weeks.

Nearly all the machines on Grafton Street are 50 only, a couple of my local ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Have to say I noticed it too. Im in Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Been like this for a few years, pretty much a year or two after the € came in.

'tis a country-wide phenomenon so.

Sorry for the double post, but it hasn;t been like this for years. Sure, the odd time, you'd only get 50's, but nearly every machine I've been to is 50 only.

Here's a suggestion.

Could the machines not be coded so they'd only offer multiples of 50??

Its so bloody annoying when you select say, 60 or 80, goes through the whole process just to tell you that you need to select a multiple of 50, and would you like another transaction.

PITA.

JUST OFFER BLOOMIN MULTIPLES OF 50 THEN!!!!

Grrrr, silly banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had no bother get 20's on dame street saturday night, the same on temple bar square on sunday,

should have got 50's it would have saved me leaving the bar for a few minutes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sorry for the double post, but it hasn;t been like this for years. Sure, the odd time, you'd only get 50's, but nearly every machine I've been to is 50 only.

Here's a suggestion.

Could the machines not be coded so they'd only offer multiples of 50??

Its so bloody annoying when you select say, 60 or 80, goes through the whole process just to tell you that you need to select a multiple of 50, and would you like another transaction.

PITA.

JUST OFFER BLOOMIN MULTIPLES OF 50 THEN!!!!

Grrrr, silly banks.
    And also in conjunction with this, the stupid ATM asks me if I want a receipt and I click yes, then at the end of the transaction the SAME ATM says sorry, no receipts can be printed. Stupid, stupid machines.

delly wrote: »
    And also in conjunction with this, the stupid ATM asks me if I want a receipt and I click yes, then at the end of the transaction the SAME ATM says sorry, no receipts can be printed. Stupid, stupid machines.

Yep. I havent even asked for a receipt in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I like when the ATM gives you options of 10, 20 , 40 , 60 100, 160, 200. When you press 60 it tells you they don't have any 20's select 50. But there isn't an option for 50 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Seems to me it depends on when you take money out. In the evening or early morning (before it's filled), they only offer 50. But later morning or afternoon I generally have no problem getting 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

kildub wrote: »
    anytime lately that i try to get money from an atm it never has notes under €50 value. has anyone else noticed this sneaky new way of banks forcing consumers to take out mor money than they might need? i thought it was just a certain bank locally but notice lately that it is more prevelant than i thought. i have complained in local bank. they tried to say it was just that week but it's been goin on for a lot longer.

is this with ATM's attached to banks or in shops and garages?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always get 10s and 20s :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I generally have no problems getting 20 euro notes around Dublin, but it has happened occasionally that there are only 50's. Definitely wouldn't class it as a trend though, hasn't happened to me in a while.

The more galling thing though is being told there are no 20s half way through the transaction! Ulster Bank's ATMs are great however, before you even put in your card it tells you on screen that if it has no 10s, 20s, receipt paper, etc. Why can't the other banks do this (especially AIB with their fancy new ATMs)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Some of the more modern ATM will not allow you to try and get notes that are not there. In larger cities 10's are not loaded in the machine. This is to allow to have more drawers of 20's and 50's, so the machine stays in service for longer.

So it really depends on the ATM location.

• Advertisement
Advertisement