Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

totaly lost please help

Options
  • 01-06-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

hi evryone,

her's my story
    i did my junior cert passed msot of it execpt maths.
    i did my leaving cert and didnt pass anything (cause i didnt think of progressing over to it collage etc.)

This year i applied to Limerick Aenior Collage for a Retail managment and HR. Went for the interview they asked did i bring my LC with me. i said no. so thwy asked me hwo many points did i get i told them 250 (which was a lye)
    the course didnt require any points anyway. si after few days i got accepted. And now im so lost if i should actually even go cause retail managment isnt a course for me i dont want to do retail managment after i finish the course. BUT i would defenetley would love to go to LIT (limerickIT) for accounting maybe mechanic or something ealse.

So the big question is if i do the retail managment course can i get 400 points and it would count as normal leaving cert point's?

Could i progress to LIT with the points and do any course i want ?

IM SO LOST as im not aware of the whole education system how it works if u dont have enough points (in my case no points at all) how can u progress to IT ?

THANX for everyone who can help me out !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well you have posted in PLC and that is your way through the system. Repeat your leaving cert, then apply to go to college.

Its worth pointing out that LC isn't just a formality, you could well find yourself struggling with an IT course if you do not have the basis of the LC.

Have a look at this thread about doing the LC, there is a good bit of information there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055923278

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

7Tdriver wrote: »
    hi evryone,

her's my story
    i did my junior cert passed msot of it execpt maths.
    i did my leaving cert and didnt pass anything (cause i didnt think of progressing over to it collage etc.)

This year i applied to Limerick Aenior Collage for a Retail managment and HR. Went for the interview they asked did i bring my LC with me. i said no. so thwy asked me hwo many points did i get i told them 250 (which was a lye)
    the course didnt require any points anyway. si after few days i got accepted. And now im so lost if i should actually even go cause retail managment isnt a course for me i dont want to do retail managment after i finish the course. BUT i would defenetley would love to go to LIT (limerickIT) for accounting maybe mechanic or something ealse.

So the big question is if i do the retail managment course can i get 400 points and it would count as normal leaving cert point's?

Could i progress to LIT with the points and do any course i want ?

IM SO LOST as im not aware of the whole education system how it works if u dont have enough points (in my case no points at all) how can u progress to IT ?

THANX for everyone who can help me out !!!

A couple of things:

Are you being accepted on the basis of you producing your Leaving Cert results, because if so, you're in a spot of bother there.

If you don't like Retail Management why do the course, why not do a PLC in mechanics or something you do like? If you don't like the course while it's not impossible you may find it difficult to get 8 distinctions in subjects you have no interest in.

Have a look at Qualifax: www.qualifax.ie you can do a search for courses. I searched for accounting/mechanics courses at LIT. LIT accept any full Level 5 FETAC certificate for entry to courses at Level 6 (Higher Certificate) and Level 7 (Ordinary Degree), so yes in theory you could go to LIT with a FETAC Level 5 in Retail Management. They also state that direct entry to a Level 8 course requires at least 3 distinctions in your FETAC Level 5 certificate.

Now here's your other problem. Students entering those courses from the normal LC route must have passed LC Maths at Higher or Ordinary Level. Foundation Level is not acceptable. So you would probably also have to have a Maths qualification. There are a couple of ways of doing this.

You can study Ordinary Level LC Maths and sit that exam next June and study for it throughout the year along with your FETAC Cert.

You can take a maths exam set by the college for admission to the college which would probably be of LC standard. Not sure if all ITs offer this option. I know Sligo IT which is local to me does.

You can take a FETAC Mathematics module (which in my opinion would be the easiest option of the three) and pass that (60% coursework, 40% exam). Many colleges accept that as a suitable Maths qualification as it is roughly the same as LC Ordinary Level Maths. But you would have to check with the college first if this is acceptable, I couldn't find it on their website.

The other thing is you did not pass maths at Junior Cert or Leaving Cert level and did not say which level you took maths at so you might find any or all of the above three options a struggle. Also Mechanics/Accounting are going to require a lot of maths... i'm just questioning your choice of college course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭7Tdriver

thanks guys. well maths i didnt pass maths cause i didnt even try like any other sublject in my LC.
    i have little intersy in retail managment if i put my head to it i can get 3 distictions i think i used to be a very good when i wanted to like my project in constructuion that i did fo rmy lc and it was the best project in school that year.

the problem now is maths i thought if i got the points from my course they wouldnt require anything from my LC.

another thing is im 21 in 3 months i still would have to wait 2 years for mature entrance which i think is a hard way to get in anyway
    so im thinking maybe of going to vtos and do FETAC Leaving Certificate subjects not sure would that count as LC could i apply true CAO like with LC?

thanks guys. well maths i didnt pass maths cause i didnt even try like any other sublject in my LC.
    i have little intersy in retail managment if i put my head to it i can get 3 distictions i think i used to be a very good when i wanted to like my project in constructuion that i did fo rmy lc and itwas the best project in school that year.

the problem now is maths i thought if i got the points from my course they wouldnt require anything from my LC.

No courses can still have entry requirements. Eg what if you applied for a maths course in LIT with a FETAC certificate in Outdoor Pursuits? You wouldn't have any maths skills whatsoever.

Have a look at the LIT website. There are contact numbers and email addresses under each course. For the ones you are interested in contact the relevant person and ask them about the specific maths requirement for entry to the course. You don't want to go and get your FETAC Level 5 next year only to find that you can't get into college because of maths.

http://www.lit.ie/Prospectus/1011/LIT_Programme_Handbook.pdf

That's the handbook of courses from the LIT website. I can't see any maths requirements aside from LC Maths so you would really need to contact them to find out for sure.

From the LIT handbook p245:
    The following entry arrangements will apply to graduates of FETAC (NCVA
    Level 5 and 6) programmes seeking admission to programmes at Institutes
    of Technology. The minimum entry requirement for graduates of FETAC
    (NCVA Level 5 or 6) awards to:
    Higher Certificate (NQAI Level 6) programmes is a full FETAC
    (NCVA Level 5 or 6) award.
    Ab-initio Ordinary Degree (NQAI Level 7) programmes is a full FETAC
    (NCVA Level 5 or 6) award.
    Ab-initio Honours Degree (NQAI Level 8) programmes (with the exception
    of nursing programmes) is a full FETAC (NCVA Level 5 or 6) award
    including a Distinction grade in at least three modules.

In these three cases, a general specific requirement for mathematics
    or a language will not apply
    . Notwithstanding the minimum entry
    requirements listed above, specific Higher Certificate and ab-initio
    Degree programmes may have specific pre-requisite FETAC modules
    or FETAC programme requirements. In the case of entry to Honours
    Degree programmes, relevant cognate programmes and may have specific
    pre-requisite module requirements, where relevant. Such pre-requisite
    requirements are listed in the LEARN IT section of this handbook. In
    the case of entry to Honours Degree programmes, relevant cognate
    programmes and specific pre-requisite module requirements, where
    relevant, are specifically listed in individual Institute handbooks.

It doesn't look like you will need a maths qualification if you get your FETAC cert, however if you have not passed JC or LC maths you will find maths in college quite difficult. I would strongly advise you take a maths module as part of your FETAC cert if given the option.

• Advertisement

i have little intersy in retail managment if i put my head to it i can get 3 distictions i think i used to be a very good when i wanted to like my project in constructuion that i did fo rmy lc and it was the best project in school that year.

another thing is im 21 in 3 months i still would have to wait 2 years for mature entrance which i think is a hard way to get in anyway
    so im thinking maybe of going to vtos and do FETAC Leaving Certificate subjects not sure would that count as LC could i apply true CAO like with LC?

It would apply, it doesn't matter where you sit your LC exams but you would need to sit at least 6 of them for points and probably a few at honours level to make sure you get enough points. The PLC course is probably the easier route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can apply through CAO with FETAC course however you will only be in competition for those course places specifically reserved for FETAC applicants and thats not very many. E.G. In a course with 25 places overall you might typically have three reserved for Mature students, four for FETAC applicants and the bulk of the remainder for LC applicants.

As a general rule of thumb many more applicants apply for FETAC spaces than there are places for. What happens then is that a lottery system applies and all those FETAC applicants with the right number of distinctions and modules are put into the draw. Its a dicey enough route with even less of a guarantee of a place than applying on the basis of a Leaving Cert. With regard to the Nursing training for example, I have seen people with eight distinctions apply three and four years running and still not come out with a course place.

Tbh I think you might have more luck with the Leaving Cert route but thats just my opinion. If you are in the Limerick area talk to one of the Adult Guidance Information services, they can at least explain how this system works:
    Limerick City: 061 310880
    Limerick County: 069 62667

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your age is fairly important in this. If you are over 23 your LC is much less important, if you are under 23 you will need LC even to do a Fetac course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

looksee wrote: »
    Your age is fairly important in this. If you are over 23 your LC is much less important, if you are under 23 you will need LC even to do a Fetac course.

Not necessarily. Some FETAC colleges accept applicants without a LC if they are aged 19 to 21, especially if they show aptitude or have work experience in a related field. Also many third level providers like to see a Mature applicant with a Leaving Cert, in fact having a complete LC is mandatory for some third level courses and careers e.g. B.Ed Primary Teaching, Paramedic training with the NAS to name two.

Some courses will also state that preference will be given to Mature students who have certain LC subjects done even though a complete LC is not a requirement for the course. E.G.
    Preference is given to students who have studied Science and Mathematical Science subjects at second level. Potential candidates are very strongly recommended to take the Leaving Certificate Higher Level paper in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics.

Any other evidence of mathematical ability should be presented with application.
    Candidates may be called for interview.
    Number of places available for Mature Students: 5

Contact details: Dr Alan Morrison,
    Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, UCC.
    Tel: 021 490 2874 email: a.morrison@ucc.ie web address: eee.ucc.ie
    or
    Dr Michael Egan, Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, UCC.
    Tel: 021 490 2661 email: m.egan@ucc.ie web address: eee.ucc.ie

Taken from http://www.qualifax.ie info on UCC's Degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Mature Students Info section.

I suppose what this shows is the need to be clear about what areas/ courses you want to go into and the necessity to check with the relevant providers about specific details.

Advertisement