Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom won't fix line fault because we're not their customer

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Those numbers are outrageously optimistic and I would wonder whether low noise conditions like that even exist in the wild. Some other frequent posters here may know that I'm not one to underestimate maximum possible speeds on a phone line. Also, the figures are incorrect based on what eircom go by for their most commonly used thickness of cable. 60dB = 5km. The highest speed I've ever seen on boards above 58dB was 2 mbps and there's also a recent thread where someone had 4 mbps on ADSL2+ at 55dB and was suffering disconnects at that.

I suppose the answer there is that country people are better off than city people in this way.

Underground lines are normally 0.4mm core diameter AWG 23 I think while overhead lines are 0.5mm core diameter AWG24 or SWG25.

pi r square that and you see a 0.5mm has 60% more copper in it than a 0.4 does and a sizeable uplift in carrying capacity. Many lines are a mixture of both.

Actually make that 26AWG underground, 0.4mm and 24AWG or 23AWG overground , 0.5mm. Apart from its much larger cross section an overground cable has lower resistance too.

These neat DSL units fits on a POLE if any eircom staff are reading !!!!!!!

http://www.godigital.com/solutions/010265_rB.pdf
    http://www.godigital.com/solutions/010268_rB.pdf

If it is sending 8 mbits over OVERGROUND 24AWG it will reach 3.4km but over the thinner underground cable only 2.7km

At entry level 1.5mbits it will reach nearly 3 miles underground but nearer 4 miles overground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

as far as i'm aware , eircom are precluded by comreg from using dsl and isdn repeaters ,and they work perfectly as we field trialed several , but it was seen as eircom extending their network , which is not allowed by the regulatory framework .a rough rule of thumb on attenuation is about 10 db per km , not forgetting 1 km in comm's term's do's not equal km's by road route . the equipment suppliers cover their their transmission output to a 3 km distance from the exchange , so within 3kms you shoult have prob's , from 3km to 6km about 70/80 % of dsl output , the real problem's start from 6kms - it can at time seem like the dsl signal fell off the side of a cliff , yet have seen solid 2mb at 9km out .
    going by the book dsl cutoff point is 56 db , the vast majority of the network is 0.5 - u.g and o/h ,tnk's to telecom eireann not taking the cheap option and using cheaper aluminium cable , which bt and other national providers did at the time,which later on cost billion's to replace .
    etho did not say if the tech charged him a call out charge .
    as i said eircom can refer you to a licenced contractor ,who will maintain or provide internal extn's / networks , if they charge 58 euro's an hour , you don't have to use them , and it is not eircom technician's that carry out this work, other olo's can employ contractor's or their own technician's to provide these service's , but seem unwilling to do so .
    with the mention of telecomm eireann , TE were one of the first comm's company's in the world to get a basic b/band up and running , even had basic tv /ip platform working in 1989 , the board ordered the initial 30m punt's of equipment installed by june of 1990 , which was done ,and if my memory serves me right comreg ordered it all removed as it was deemed an uncompetitive advantage , anyhoo i digress , free b/band for all when i'm teashop

forgot to say , that when we clear / resolve a fault we do so to '' root cause '' , because outside the fact , that the company is fined by comreg for repeat fault's ,we have to explain to our flm (front line manager ) why a fault has repeated , what work was done , how fault was investigated etc and what measure's are required , to make sure it do't repeat .

my granny used to say every job is easy , as long as your not doing it .

as far as i'm aware , eircom are precluded by comreg from using dsl and isdn repeaters ,and they work perfectly as we field trialed several , but it was seen as eircom extending their network , which is not allowed by the regulatory framework

I don't think so. But there would have to be a cost recoupment component to the pricing and I suspect eircom don't want to go there in their pricing.

If you live 4 miles from the exchange and want 8 mbits then eircom are entitled to charge extra for it _up to a point_ because they installed extra gear. The repeaters work and are down to €300 per port on 8 ways nowadays meaning eircom can recover the cost on the upsell rather quickly.

3g is not up to it, never will be in rural areas.
    it can at time seem like the dsl signal fell off the side of a cliff , yet have seen solid 2mb at 9km out .

overhead I bet ....or are you a saying lot of underground plant is 0.5mm too ?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eircom get less money - Eircom will look after people who actually are their customers.

Common sense, not anti competitive. Any company can lay down their own cable or whatever if they choose to. Then they maintain and do magical wonderful things with that cable, until then they don't really get to complain.

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 19 dB /11 dB - good, bad or indifferent?

Eircom are obliged, under the terms of their telecommunications operator license, to provide other operators with access to their local network. They get paid line rental (the highest in the world) to provide maintenence service.

If eircom is treating customers badly, the regulator and competition authority needs to investigate. There may be grounds to split eircom into retail & infrastructure companies.

It's totally unacceptable for them to give an end user a response like this and it is abuse of their monopoly position.

The OP should contact comreg, they need to be aware of incidents like this.

the majority of the ug is 0.5 , the problem arise where the 0.3/0.4 ,was used for entire route's or section's , or used to replace damaged sections , most of these cables where installed over a 2 year period in the 80's . when we talk of ngb upgrades in the exch's , we mean upgrading the exch power and back up's ,airconditioning , main frame and platform extns etc and all the logistic's that go with it.as far as i know , 8mb will be basic entry rate on ngb in the interim and that will rise to ? . even we don't know ,it's been 6 months since stt took over ,the outcome of talk's between all the stakeholders , comreg,stt . eamon ryan and the goverment , are still not known , we are hoping that a deal that suits everyone can be done , if this happen's , i can't see why we coul't be as a country, be leading the world with b/band inside 1/2 years at least .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by conor.hogan.2 View Post
    Eircom get less money - Eircom will look after people who actually are their customers.

Common sense, not anti competitive. Any company can lay down their own cable or whatever if they choose to. Then they maintain and do magical wonderful things with that cable, until then they don't really get to complain.

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 19 dB /11 dB - good, bad or indifferent?

your stats are very good , i'm on 7mb with 37db dn ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Any company can't just lay their own wires, eircom and UPC (or a few minor remaining independent cable cos) are the only operators licensed to roll out last mile infrastructure.

Eircom also inherited a lastmile infrastructure built by Telecom Eireann and P&T which were legal monopolies, state owned and heavily subsidised.

That puts eircom in a rather unique position and it can't really be compared to other operators and either had to be split or properly regulated to provide other companies with access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Solair wrote: »
    Eircom also inherited a lastmile infrastructure built by Telecom Eireann and P&T which were legal monopolies, state owned and heavily subsidised.

Not inherited, bought.
    Was this unique standing in the market not factored into the sale price of Telecom Eireann which the Govt received when it was sold?
    If so, as a now private company, they can hardly be blamed for trying to maximise this to their advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 vinrouge

Would like to know what the different terminals are for on an Eircom Master Socket.

I assume L1 and L2 at back of socket are for the incoming two wires

What are S1 and S2 at back of socket for.

What are S1 and S2 at front of socket for, (extensions?)

What are L1 and L2 at front of socket for?

I am using CAT 5 wire, do I use a single strand onto each terminal

All help appreciated

Vinrouge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

There is no need to digg out a two year old thread for this. Just open a new one.

A simple search in google will bring back what you need.

Eircom socket and then let the auto populate do its job

Advertisement