Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Lear - cut to the chase!

Options
  • 01-06-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Ok I basicaly just want to know what everyone is doing and what everyones predictins are. At the moment I am covering Good and Evil, Self growth through suffering, and love and loyalty. The question that came up in 2006 covers these themes wonderfully. 'reading or seeing king Lear is a horrifying aswell as an uplifting experience' what' scenes are significantcor these themes?

What I need to know is what other themes should I consider covering? And what questions do you guys will come up?
    Something on Cordelias importance hasn't come up in awhile so I'm Learning that. Also the fool. The women in the play as a whole is a question that has never come up. What scenes are important for these characters?

As for the character of Lear, what would i need to look at for this? WhAt's a good exam question for Lear? Scenes? How many tragic flaws does Lear make?

What are everyones predictions? Good questions worth making a plan on in exam papers?
    Thanks guys, I just want some insight. also:

I'm stuck on the following questions in the shirt cuts to success book:
    act 4 scene v: how are we made aware that nature is 'vilde' in this scene?
    What is the bleak satrical Irony of this scene?

Act4 scene 6: why was the death of Oswald important in plot terms?

Act iv scene 7: why is music such an important elemant in this scene?

Thanks guys! Please try and answer my questions... I really need some advice and input! I want to do at least 2 more essays before the exam!

Edit: someone please post the questions that came up in the mocks for debs and examcraft!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

fufureida wrote: »
    Ok I basicaly just want to know what everyone is doing and what everyones predictins are. At the moment I am covering Good and Evil, Self growth through suffering, and love and loyalty. The question that came up in 2006 covers these themes wonderfully. 'reading or seeing king Lear is a horrifying aswell as an uplifting experience' what' scenes are significantcor these themes?

What I need to know is what other themes should I consider covering? And what questions do you guys will come up?
    Something on Cordelias importance hasn't come up in awhile so I'm Learning that. Also the fool. The women in the play as a whole is a question that has never come up. What scenes are important for these characters?

As for the character of Lear, what would i need to look at for this? WhAt's a good exam question for Lear? Scenes? How many tragic flaws does Lear make?

What are everyones predictions? Good questions worth making a plan on in exam papers?
    Thanks guys, I just want some insight. also:

I'm stuck on the following questions in the shirt cuts to success book:
    act 4 scene v: how are we made aware that nature is 'vilde' in this scene?
    What is the bleak satrical Irony of this scene?

Act4 scene 6: why was the death of Oswald important in plot terms?

Act iv scene 7: why is music such an important elemant in this scene?

Thanks guys! Please try and answer my questions... I really need some advice and input! I want to do at least 2 more essays before the exam!

Edit: someone please post the questions that came up in the mocks for debs and examcraft!

Ok, this may be a totaly wack job way of approaching lear, but I always seem to be able to get a b1-a1 in lear with this system.
    Rather than get sucked into possible questions I look at the play. I take the running order events:
    Love test, G+R humiliate Lear, The Storm, Cordelia and Lear reunite,G kills R, G kills herself, cordelia and other characters die. (Same idea with sub plot)
    Then I go through what characters are involved in each of these event, what role do they play, why do they play them, and what do they feel. How do they change over time, what journey do they take.
    By doing this you have a really good basis of the story, the characters involved and what and why they behave they way they do.
    Once you have a load of quotes that you can rattle off your head you should be able to answer any question, not simply the ones that you've prepared.

It mightn't be your cup of tea, but it seems to work ok for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The death of oswald and importance of music...I'd nearly forget it.

I'd think the question this year will be something to do with the role of love, redemption....

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Focus on the characters. They cover a character question and give you a greater idea of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

The Theme Of Madness Is Central To The Play King Lear...

My 2 cents worth anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

The central theme is Hubris. google it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

orlabobs wrote: »
    Ok, this may be a totaly wack job way of approaching lear, but I always seem to be able to get a b1-a1 in lear with this system.
    Rather than get sucked into possible questions I look at the play. I take the running order events:
    Love test, G+R humiliate Lear, The Storm, Cordelia and Lear reunite,G kills R, G kills herself, cordelia and other characters die. (Same idea with sub plot)
    Then I go through what characters are involved in each of these event, what role do they play, why do they play them, and what do they feel. How do they change over time, what journey do they take.
    By doing this you have a really good basis of the story, the characters involved and what and why they behave they way they do.
    Once you have a load of quotes that you can rattle off your head you should be able to answer any question, not simply the ones that you've prepared.

It mightn't be your cup of tea, but it seems to work ok for me.

Thats pretty helpful :) Gonna try that over the next few days! Thanks!

Advertisement