Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil,grease,lube etc

• 01-06-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I just got a nice shiney silver chain and cassette.How do I keep these lubricated and looking silver rather than black and greasy?Is there a product on the market ie transparent oil or grease?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most lube is translucent, but the lube should go in the chain not on the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

There are loads that will do that for you, I used to use ProLink Gold, chain always looked like new, loads of others that will do the same which I'm sure the lads will give their own votes for, just bear in mind though, that usually, if it keeps the chain squeaky clean, it aint gonna stay on your chain for long and will require frequent application especially after rainy spins.

If you're into weekly washing and chain maintenance take your pick from the recommendations. If you want something that requires less maintenance, try and get hold of Chain-L No.5 ( yeah looks gimmicky but works ), it will keep your chain almost as clean as the others if you wipe the chain down once or twice a week and will last for at least 1000 km even in crappy wet weather.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's less to do with the type of lube you use and more on how you use it. You should clean the chain and cassette with degreaser before relubing. Appy lube sparingly, give the cranks a good few turns and wipe the chain throughouly when done. The important thing is that the lube gets in between the parts. There should be no lube on the outside of the chain. All that does is let dirt stick to it.

There are several different grades of lube, from gloopy to light. The heavier stuff will last longer, but is more likely to attract dirt. Too light a lube and it will wash off in Irish weather before the end of one spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

clean it every 2 weeks(depending on how much you ride/type of roads) or so with degreaser then reapply lube.
    I just got some 'white lightning wet ride' and its working nicely on my chain

I dont really care so much how the chain looks tho, as long as its not gathering up bits of road debris and getting noisy I'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

Thanks guys I'll check out some of them in my lbs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement