Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids martial arts games

Options
  • 01-06-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey, I help out teaching a kids taekwon do class and i'm looking for some games to use with the kids (based on martial arts or even just fitness), keeping in mind that they are between 5-9. I have spent hours looking up games online and haven't found much so if anyone can suggest some games i'd really appreciate it.
    cheers
    ste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Not sure how relevant this is to you but I got some ideas for our kids class in this DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4-YrEGmgg

(tried to embed but didn't work)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭corkma

I did a drill with barada where you lay out two lines of gloves. two people race, pick up the gloves and move them to the side. its good for speed and footwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jake 74

Hey, I help out teaching a kids taekwon do class and i'm looking for some games to use with the kids (based on martial arts or even just fitness), keeping in mind that they are between 5-9. I have spent hours looking up games online and haven't found much so if anyone can suggest some games i'd really appreciate it.
    cheers
    ste
    http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/187435/101-Games-and-Drills-for-Martial-Arts/Product.html

this book is very good lots of ideas aimed mainly at kids, hope it helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

corkma wrote: »
    I did a drill with barada where you lay out two lines of gloves. two people race, pick up the gloves and move them to the side. its good for speed and footwork

Yeh I use that one too.

Here is a clip of some ladder drills I use with the juniors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLJhaaYL5ZA

TKD stuck in the mud is another good one. Whoever gets caught has to hold out there leg in a traditional side kick position, and to be freed someone else needs to run under their leg.

There are loads of ideas out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

One I see in my kids Karate classes are where the instructor has a box of knobbly bouncy balls, he pairs the kids off, throws the balls and the kids have to race to catch them. Minor risk of impact if they both go for the same ball at the same time.

Another one is ankle taps. Pair the kids off roughly by height, and get them to try to touch their opponents ankle with a hand, while not getting touched themselves. Quite good for a fun warm up, and helps develop range and timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 le souteneur

thanks for all the replies, the game that you guys said barada does sounds pretty good and i like the ladder game suggested by yomchi, it looks a good way to work on footwork. if anybody has more then keep them coming, i'm looking for everything i can get.
    cheers

The ladder drills and stuff are fun for the kids but also heelp to develop fighters. tkd could do with some good footwork.

I remember training with reaction balls once in a kickboxing class. after a week of heavy training and lots of sparring etc, i buckled myself when I twisted my ankle and knee trying a catch a bouncy ball. its always the stupid things that hurt the most

Yeh ladder drills are excellent for developing agility and foot work. I picked that up on the IMAC coaching course

are the imac courses good? i'd like to see more coaching qualifications in martial arts. it's difficult when everythings so broken up

corkma wrote: »
    are the imac courses good? i'd like to see more coaching qualifications in martial arts. it's difficult when everythings so broken up

Yeh I have to say the ITF Taekwon-Do one is excellent. The theory day is non MA specific and you spend the day in with other styles and coaches.

The practical, about three days over all is excellent and is style specific. Adrian Byrne takes the ITF TKD section. They cover all aspects of stretching, warm up drills, speed, agility an coordination, different energy systems and children plus lots more. I'd well recommend it, especially if your club is competition orientated.

Access to the IMAC coaching courses for TKD is through the Taekwon-Do Advisory Board. If you are interested just drop me a PM and I'll send you some contacts, although you may know them anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

cheers
    ste
    when i was at a european karate competition in 1968 at crystal palace [london] one of the exhibition styles shown was a number of students blindfolded and they would run towards each other ,but they would avoid colliding by using their senses,over the years i have often tried this out with my younger students,[not running just walking] its good fun,the kids always love it

Advertisement