Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milestones

• 01-06-2010 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

One year off the drink this coming Sunday. :)

Never thought I could do it but it does get easier and easier. No more alcohol induced problems and has shown me how much trouble it had got me into.

Now, from Sunday I aim to tackle my Diet Coke addiction! ;)

Anyone else have a particular abstinence celebration coming up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Well done! That's great going. Was giving up the drink a thought that you had for a while before giving it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

To be honest I loved drinking all through my 20's but I found I was getting depressed and paranoid after a big binge.

I began to get terrifying blackouts that were getting progressively worse. I had a massive session last June with a horrendous blackout/paranoid session after it that ended up with me at my GP. To be fair to the man he did'nt try to scare me with facts, he just asked me to look at the state of myself and have a think about it.

Best move I ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

fair play to ya, that's all i'll say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Deoir

bohsboy wrote: »

that's one that I really have trouble with.

I love Diet Coke and I love chocolate, if I have one, 99% of the time I will have the other so if I have any hope of quitting I have to quit both, eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Bohsboy......WINNER!!!!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

congratulations! i am so glad for you. i am sure the taste of freedom is so good. no longer being controlled by a substance. yeah yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Well done buddy....me myself, I'll be off it 4 weeks tomorrow, which is somewhat of a milestone ha

Well done mate!

I'm 60 days off it in a few days time. No longer being controlled by a substance is right.

Never thought I could do it but it does get easier and easier. No more alcohol induced problems and has shown me how much trouble it had got me into.

How long does it take to get over the mental craving? I've been off it just o
    over a month, and tbh its really getting me down. I'd far rather be drinking at the minute, but I know if I get myself in the right frame of mind I could get over the ambiguity....How long will it last? Like, I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to be a drinker for the rest of my life or a non-drinker ha. At the minute its non-drinker, but thats getting me down so I'm thinking of reasons to start drinking again (note, I'm not a complete bum or anything, just think I'd be better off!). When will the drinking voice piss off!?

zero_nine wrote: »
    How long does it take to get over the mental craving? I've been off it just o
    over a month, and tbh its really getting me down. I'd far rather be drinking at the minute, but I know if I get myself in the right frame of mind I could get over the ambiguity....How long will it last? Like, I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to be a drinker for the rest of my life or a non-drinker ha. At the minute its non-drinker, but thats getting me down so I'm thinking of reasons to start drinking again (note, I'm not a complete bum or anything, just think I'd be better off!). When will the drinking voice piss off!?

Perhaps you should read up a bit about AA or alternative methods on quitting drinking. I know the first thing you'll say is "I'm NOT an alcoholic" (and you probably aren't)... but then have a read over what you've just written!

The best way to quit is to get yourself out of the 'alcohol is everything' mindset that most people have in this country. It's basically the mindset that to socialize or have any sort of fun you need to have a drug in your system. It's a very unhealthy way of looking at life imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

will off the juice six months in a few weeks.

will off the juice six months in a few weeks.

Well done!

Two questions:
    1. How did you manage it?
    2. How do you feel about it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I was never a big drinker but I gave it up just cos I wasnt arsed in 2007

Since then I had 2 drinks in August 2008, and some sips of brandy for an upset stomach [which was actually my exploding appendix :P] in November 2008

Nothin since! and no plans to take it up again soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Well done mate! I'm nearly 6 months off it and I'm very proud. The best thing I ever did. I'm so enjoying doing other things at weekends than wasting it in pubs :) I do still go out some weekends but I have no interest at all in it or any tempations to drink. All that is annoying is people who make an issue about it:mad:

I just love waking up on a Saturday/Sunday morning after a night out minus the hangover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

Dh celebrated 2 years of sobriety this week. He is doing fantastic and I am very proud of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

mazcon wrote: »
    Dh celebrated 2 years of sobriety this week. He is doing fantastic and I am very proud of him.

whos Dh

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

whos Dh

My dh.

Well done to all of us WINNERS.....

Never heard of anyone breaking the law/marriage due to Diet Coke or chocolate...enjoy them I say!!!!:)

3 months today!
    Longest I ever went before was about 2-3 weeks in about 10 years

^ I love hearing this:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Well done. Great to hear.

I was out last night and it was probably the first nights none of my mates made a big deal of me not drinking. This means a lot to me. I also lasted the whole night and I really enjoyed the night :-) I usually get tired and make an early exit!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    3 months today!
    Longest I ever went before was about 2-3 weeks in about 10 years

well done! good man yourself!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Tom Thorne

Well done - nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swordsman_ie

coming up on 17 hrs now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

6 months and 6 days. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger