Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launches its new WiMax service in Waterford

• 01-06-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

categoryPage%5Ccorporate%5CSean_Bolger_Imagine_WiMAX_Launch_472.jpg
    Imagine Communications Group has announced the launch of its high-speed WiMax broadband and phone network in Waterford city.

The new fourth generation wireless technology provides superfast Internet and phone access at home and on the move for half the cost charged by current providers.

The Irish company is signing up customers to its 4G WiMax network this week, which will deliver 50 per cent cheaper phone and broadband services to thousands of customers.

The roll-out of the Imagine service will save Waterford homeowners at least €400 a year on their phone and broadband bills compared to Eircom.

The new network will deliver the fastest and most reliable broadband Internet ever seen in the county, with no rip-off line rental charges.

imagine has already reported interest in the new high-speed service in Waterford to be above average, and has pledged to expand WiMax coverage in the region in 2010.

For just €20 per month, Imagine is offering a phone-only package to homes in Waterford with no line rental fee, again available for 50 per cent cheaper than competitors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Thinking of making the switch from Vodafone. Vodafone recently sent me a later saying they were upgrading my 3mb line to 8mb line free of charge soon, but to be honest, the contention ratio seems to have worsened with them since they took over from BT, and the fact that I'm paying line rental without having a fixed phone makes it unattractive.

So, did anyone speak to the WiMax reps and ask them what line speeds and contention ratios would be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

One of their reps called to my door last night and if I remember correctly he said the contention ratio was 22:1

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Smart apparently has no contention rate although im with them a few years and not sure if its that clear to be honest, hardly notice a differance ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

a rep called to me the other day,,i said i had NTL and he just said "oh ok so" and gave me a brochure and walked off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UPC v Imagine, I'd stick with UPC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote: »
    UPC v Imagine, I'd stick with UPC

Why, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sully wrote: »
    Why, out of curiosity?
    For anything other then interwebs on my phone, I wouldnt trust wireless internet with a 40ft barge pole.

Good old cables please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

How would Wimax compare to Vodafone mobile? might make the switch if its better. If its just as crap I'll stick to what I know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

i rang imagine before they announced they were starting in waterford.i was told when they started here that they would send a team of 3 engineers to put the equipment for wimax up on the side of my house for the small sum of 200 euro.but its ok because the equipment they use is worth 400 and i can bring it with meif i move.now tell me how on earth if it takes 3 trained engineers to fit it,how could i take it down and put it in a new house without calling them out again which im sure would mean a call out and service charge.not worth it if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Sully wrote: »
    Why, out of curiosity?

Because this isn't really an alternative service to a decent cable BB (oh those were the days) or DSL service, it's a (much better) alternative to 3G mobile broadband.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

C_Dawg wrote: »
    One of their reps called to my door last night and if I remember correctly he said the contention ratio was 22:1

He told a porkie pie so, vodafones contention ratio is 48:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

RobitTV wrote: »
    For just €20 per month, Imagine is offering a phone-only package to homes in Waterford with no line rental fee, again available for 50 per cent cheaper than competitors.

love the way they pick numbers out of the air.... line rental with eircom is €26.57 a month hows €20 50% of the cost of eircom :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Junior wrote: »
    He told a porkie pie so, vodafones contention ratio is 48:1

Would you believe the same fella called back again last night. Man they're pushy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RobitTV wrote: »
    The new network will deliver the fastest and most reliable broadband Internet ever seen in the county, with no rip-off line rental charges.

What speed are they offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Their ripping out my Ripwave :p (cost €20 pm) and want to give me wimax, (cost €25 pm) plus a €50 activation fee...and a 12 month contract....so much for customer loyalty:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Ripwave was a Digiweb product no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Junior wrote: »
    Ripwave was a Digiweb product no ?

nah it was Irish Broadband..now Imagine. Worked a treat for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Can anyone confirm if they are offering 120mb plus or is it a lie from their marketing people?

Advertisement