Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog grooming

Options
  • 01-06-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I have a 15 week old black cocker (who is just gorgeous!). When brushing her it is very difficult to get her to sit still and she just keeps trying to "mouth" the brush or comb. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting her to stop her trying to eat the brush! I will be getting her groomed professionally a couple of times a year but want to be able to give her a quick brush myself aswell. Also I am being very careful not to hurt her or tug at knots as I don't want her to be scared of the brush.

I know a couple of people on here have done grooming courses so thought you might have a few tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have a 15 week old black cocker (who is just gorgeous!). When brushing her it is very difficult to get her to sit still and she just keeps trying to "mouth" the brush or comb. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting her to stop her trying to eat the brush! I will be getting her groomed professionally a couple of times a year but want to be able to give her a quick brush myself aswell. Also I am being very careful not to hurt her or tug at knots as I don't want her to be scared of the brush.

I know a couple of people on here have done grooming courses so thought you might have a few tips!

Ahhhhh sounds adoreable :D

Ive a black cocker too... he's getting on he's 5 now!!
    He never liked getting brushed when he was a puppy... i groom him myslef now and he's brillant, but he was too skittish when he was a pup :p

You can get like a conditioner spray for their hair (similar to ones for humans) just to help get any knots out!!

If you guy is like most cockers she wil love to swim and her hair may get tangled very easily!!

Just be persisant and when she is good, give her a small treat and prasie her !

Start off by brushing her for like 5 mins on day one.... and increase it each day until you can give her a full brush.... and dont forget the treats!!

SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous would love another cocker and a friend for my guy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

She is a beaut! I want another one already but it's not practical until she is older.

I can get her brushed a bit but she just starts rolling around on the ground and gets covered in stones and bits of crap again!! :D:D

I was afraid that if she doesn't get used to been brushed now when she is small that she will be impossible to manage when bigger! It probably is just puppy skittish-ness!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

This isn't going to teach her not to mouth the brush but I found it helped with our guy to give him a chew toy as I was brushing him. Although he's short haired so I was able to use one hand to distract him with the toy while brushing with the other hand, so not sure if it will work for you. Worth a try though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

How do they get a dog to keep still at a grooming salon, do they tie it up or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye in the place I bring my two, there's a chain/lead attached to their collar and the other end attached to a pole above their head, that's just to keep them in place/head upright, and they sometimes have one loosely around their tail too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Had the same problem with two very long haired dogs.
    I started by holding a chew toy in front of the dog, and telling him to wait, give a few strokes of the brush and then let him have a chew.
    Also when he's tired and lying on his side I brush his hair along one side and then turn him over and do the other side, give a few treats while doing this. If the dog learns the brush is a nice experience and learns to be calm while brushed you'll have no problems.
    Try to do this for a few mins every day, the more often you do it now the easier it will be as the dog matures. The puppy coat is easy to maintain, it does get harder as the adult coat comes through, but by then you'll be an old hand:D Its also lovely and relaxing for people as well as dogs.

Just to add, the best place to brush the dog is on a table, I put a towel covering the table(mine don't shed, but stops their feet slipping) and stand them on it to brush them, they will be up on a table at a groomers and it helps to get a routine, and easier on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Thanks guys - I have one seriously cute fluffy puppy at the moment!

I brought her for a short walk this morning and, as she was a little tired, I tried the grooming with some treats and praise - used 5 small wee treats and she let me comb her for ages even when all the treats were gone. I got to her head and ears which hadn't seen a comb before cos i never got near them before with her hyperness :D:D.

Will be taking a couple of mins out every day to get her used to it. Although like all training I am sure it will be one step forward and two back at times :D

I did try using a toy first but she wasn't too interested - she just wanted to get at the brush but food works wonders!!
    bit afraid of using a table as she would be likely to take a jump off it - no fear at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I used the dry dog food nuts as treats, just took them from daily allowance.
    Mine also love veggies, bits of carrot, turnip and broccoli are favourites. And frozen peas weirdly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

In the grooming course I did we rarely tied their leads onto a pole, only if it was a very very wriggly or aggressive dog. For a good few lazy golden retrievers we had to tie a lead around their belly to hold them up because they just wanted to lie down :)

Dogs usually play up more for their owners than a groomer they don't know, but you can make them stand still. First of all, put them on a table, as opposed to the ground or your lap. Don't make a fuss of them, or talk to them in baby talk. Just act strict and stern and whenever they lie down or sit down, just stand them up you can put your hand on top of their shoulder to keep them from running off, or under their belly if they keep lying down. If they're really trying to get away, like one of mine does, then you can hold the collar, or even tie their lead onto the table. Just keep standing them back up and hold them in place while brushing. But don't pick them up, or cuddle them or pet them too much, or they'll play up more. It might seem mean, but you just have to be a bit strict with them or they know you'll let them get away with it :)

If they cry because you pull a tangle or something, then it hasn't really hurt them, they're just being babies, so don't say "aww poor pup" and give them a cuddle, just say, "it's ok" in a calm voice.

If he mouths the brush then I would just say no, and move it away from him, every time.

He is just a pup so hopefully he'll get used to it soon :) I bet he will, once he's into the routine of being brushed.

Advertisement