Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Duck

Options
  • 01-06-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I got jar of vegan "duck" and I hav no idea what to do with it. I would prefer not to make a curry or the likes as I would like to try the flavour of the tofu itself.

Can I just heat it and have it with potato & veg, or do I need to cook it in a sauce? There is nothing on the tin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Muck?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Other than coating it with flour and frying or deep frying, you could make mongolian hot pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D If it becomes a regular in my cupboards I'll call it muck in your honour.

I might give it a try just heated with mash or a potato cake and asparagus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just heat it, but I never have sauces with 'meat' anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I've seen it in Holland and Barrett but never tried it myself. Am hoping to read opinions about it here :)

Lets just say that the name "muck" is very appropiate. It was disgusting! A few mins in the microwave probably not the best idea for it though?

Even my OH who eats everything and then asks for more spat it out. It was so bad he wouldn't allow me give it to the dog.

Thankfully I had made goats cheese and caramlised onion tarts yesterday which heated up nicely so we didn't starve! Crisis averted. Stop worrying. :D

• Advertisement

lol! I imagine it might be tasty fried :) Might add a different flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I know you are all going to slaughter me here (though being vegetarians, maybe you won't).
    Why is there such a huge market for "flavoured" product?
    Why is it so wrong to eat meat?
    I have a rescue dog with medical issues which means I have to do stuff for him that I wouldn't do for family members! I absolutely love animals and would kill a person if it saved an animals life but why have "Duck Flavoured" when you can have Duck? This post probably comes across as very blunt and uncaring but its not, I've been on this planet for 42 yrs and think I have a right to comment on EVERYTHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

Frying it is a good idea. Perhaps it would be tastier if you left it in a nice marinade for a couple of hours first? I find that greatly improves standard tofu.

Andrew33 - this is a thread about how to cook mock duck and your query lies outside the boundaries of this thread. Your queries have been discussed plenty of times in the past and everyone has their own reasons for not eating meat or for eating or not eating meat imitation products; feel free to look back on such threads.

Everyone else - keep on topic please.

sweet-rasmus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I know you are all going to slaughter me here (though being vegetarians, maybe you won't).
    I have a rescue dog with medical issues which means I have to do stuff for him that I wouldn't do for family members! I absolutely love animals and would kill a person if it saved an animals life but why have "Duck Flavoured" when you can have Duck? This post probably comes across as very blunt and uncaring but its not, I've been on this planet for 42 yrs and think I have a right to comment on EVERYTHING!

Hello Andrew, simply put, I adore the taste of meat, it was all that I ate when I ate it, adored it. However due to ethical concerns such as wanting to minimise the death/cruelty we inflict on animals and not wanting to support it needlessly I stopped. I don't have to kill that animal so I don't, i can live healthily on other food. Just to minimise the death we cause. If I ask you why you don't just eat your dog, same thing, I care for other things and want to reduce any detrimental effect I have on them.

Frying it is good.

If you want to talk about it further say I and I will put these posts in a new thread.

• Advertisement

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Well done. You have a dog. :rolleyes:

There is nothing "so wrong" with meat, I just choose not to eat it for various reasons and I don't appreciate being questioned on it in a thread, in the veggie forum that has nothing to do with the ethics of eating meat. Is that ok for you? Start a thread, it will allow people who WANT to defend their eating habits to do so and allow the rest of us to not feel as if we have to defend out food preferences at every turn.

BTW you'd kill a person to save an animal? makes no sense to say that then say you eat animals?

Hello Whispered and everybody else, please refrain from more posts along the lines of that topic, if you wish to talk about it in a new thread I will make it. Otherwise back to fake duck.

Otherwise back to fake duck.
    It's disgusting and I wont buy it again. :( Even the little bit I tasted is repeating on me.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

Otherwise back to fake duck.

So if mock duck is "muck", then fake duck is...

fake ducking disgusting.....

Hehe I quite enjoyed it, as did my sister who ate all of mine that I left at home -_-
    perhaps a sauce was needed after all!

It was in some sort of gravy. It was my second foray into the world of tofu. And was worse than the first one. I think I'll stay away from it altogether in future. :(

It was made from tofu eh.Little tin was it? Oh I don't like the sauce these things come in, just separate and fry! Tofu can be pretty bad, but some can be really nice. It's amazing how much it can vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mutley77

Hello

Am new to the site - was googling about mock duck & ended up reading this thread. I'm no expert but monk duck is a chinese alternative to meat made from gluten i believe. It isn't the same as tofu which is made from soy. The best mock duck is found in chinese restaurants (if they do it) & you can also get mock chicken - lovely in a black bean sauce.

If you buy the one from the health food shop i found it was best to stif fry it with rice or noodles. Ths gravy isn't as nice as a black bean sauce but as it comes in it there isn't much you can do as the duck tastes of it whether you leave it in the sauce or not has it has marinated.

The best tofu isn't the marinated one you find in the healthfood shop. For stir fries try Cauldron's dry marinated tofu - quite tasty or for making things with tofu you are best to use Cauldron's silken tofu - makes a nice chocolate mouse if whisked up. Cauldron also do a plain tofu you can marinate or flavour as you like - worth giving a go before you completely give up on tofu. Very essential part of a veggie's diet

:)

Oh mousse made from it is lovely! Thanks for the post. I didn't think it was made from tofu myself, sounds more seitan-y. I like that tofu you get in health food shops with the seeds in it, mmm.

• Advertisement

Thank you :)

It says on the tin "braised tofu". But I will take your word for it and the next time I'm shopping try another type of tofu. I'll get plain tofu and make a tikka marinade for it. I suppose I shouldn't give up on it. But really, this stuff was awful! If my next try doesn't work, thats me and tofu finished for life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Not a vegan myself (not even a vegetarian) but my son-in-law is one. Is it Quorn of Tofu vegans can eat? I know one is allowed and the other isn't. Also, are there any recipe sites strictly for vegans? The only ones I've come across seem to be vegetarian rather than vegan as most recipes seem to call for cheese or eggs.

Vegans can eat tofu, they can't eat teh brand quorn as it has eggs in it, however many other brands make the same type of imitation meat and this is vegan. Fry's etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=308383

Try here for links, not sure how many work these days.

Hmm random google of vegan recipes throws up things like

http://www.veganchef.com/
    http://www.vegan-food.net/
    http://www.vegancooking.com/
    http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/
    http://vegweb.com/ - some vegan things there

Haven't checked these out much but there are plenty of sites and we would be happy to help with any questions etc.

Whispered - Have seen it written as braised tofu too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The tinned 'braised tofu' is pretty disgusting alright but... the braised tofu sold in Blazing salads in Drury Street (Dublin) is positively addictive! I love it in salads or just to nibble on. It's worth knowing that it can vary a lot from source to source.

Mock Duck is a very thing altogether... it's wheat gluten and quite common on the orient. Probably closer in taste and texture to Soya protein or TVP. Probably work best in a stir fry or similar but certainly not something you'd just heat up in a microwave and expect to taste brilliant. I'm not quite sure if such actually exist at all.

On the tin it says "mock duck" then in small writing it says "braised tofu". So it's braised tofu mock duck. Perhaps a different breed of duck from the usual mock duck ;)

I was thinking that heating in the microwave wasn't the best for it haha.

Ugh no, never !

I can't imagine that being nice haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Whispered wrote: »
    On the tin it says "mock duck" then in small writing it says "braised tofu". So it's braised tofu mock duck.

I checked my tin of 'Granose' Mock Duck and it says "braised gluten". Mock Duck at your peril.

Advertisement